• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

A overwatch noob asking for help

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I started playing overwatch because every single friend loves playing the game, but since I don't want to show the weak side, I try to learn on my own, before playing with them.
I really want to improve a lot in one week. What should I start focusing on becoming a god (eventually) ?

Thanks!

Gladdy

Reaction score
First, you want to decide what role you're interested in playing or learning first... you should probably begin with looking up different guides on Overwatch heroes. You have plenty that explains the very basics, lists each ability and different strategies. Then I'd also suggest you start watching Overwatch streamers on Twitch.tv.

Some of the best players in the game stream on Twitch and explain what they're doing, why they're doing it and really good routes.
And of course, practice! You should play each champion for at least one hour to see their skills and ultimates. That way, you will know what to expect when you face for example; a Zarya or a Soldier.

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
So I was given Overwatch about 6 months ago. I've worked up to plat in a couple comp seasons.

One of the main goals is to never jump straight into competitive and instead enjoy the game a bit and really learn what your into or not without risking screwing up your ELO. I would highly recommend choosing 2 categories of heroes and then from those 2 pick 3-4 that you will learn exclusively (eg picking Support and Tanks, then choosing Mercy, Ana, Reinhardt, Zarya). You have good variety in this way. Or you can pick one hero from each of the pools of Offense, Defense, Tank, Support.

If you want to get "good" then you need to hunker down and play.... play.... play.... those heroes and watch videos on them, watch streamers, learn them inside out.

Don't forget other mechanics come into effect as well: Teamwork, Communication, Temperment/Mentality, Tilt-Management, Unselfishness etc.

I wish you luck, I've stopped playing recently (gonna pick it up again) and I hope you can do well!

Gladdy

Reaction score
So I was given Overwatch about 6 months ago. I've worked up to plat in a couple comp seasons.

One of the main goals is to never jump straight into competitive and instead enjoy the game a bit and really learn what your into or not without risking screwing up your ELO. I would highly recommend choosing 2 categories of heroes and then from those 2 pick 3-4 that you will learn exclusively (eg picking Support and Tanks, then choosing Mercy, Ana, Reinhardt, Zarya). You have good variety in this way. Or you can pick one hero from each of the pools of Offense, Defense, Tank, Support.

If you want to get "good" then you need to hunker down and play.... play.... play.... those heroes and watch videos on them, watch streamers, learn them inside out.

Don't forget other mechanics come into effect as well: Teamwork, Communication, Temperment/Mentality, Tilt-Management, Unselfishness etc.

I wish you luck, I've stopped playing recently (gonna pick it up again) and I hope you can do well!
Great advice. I completely forgot about the whole ranked games versus quick play. I agree with you. When you're a beginner don't try the ranked... you will end up messing up your rating and you will regret it later on. You won't have a fun time, trust me.

Until you learn everything stick to the quick play. The games are much faster and you can easily test out anything you want to without having any consequences.

Reactions: Jog

SeanP

Reaction score
First, you want to decide what role you're interested in playing or learning first... you should probably begin with looking up different guides on Overwatch heroes. You have plenty that explains the very basics, lists each ability and different strategies. Then I'd also suggest you start watching Overwatch streamers on Twitch.tv.

Some of the best players in the game stream on Twitch and explain what they're doing, why they're doing it and really good routes.
And of course, practice! You should play each champion for at least one hour to see their skills and ultimates. That way, you will know what to expect when you face for example; a Zarya or a Soldier.

Completely agree with this. You need to find your niche, and then just practice. I know that isn't the sexiest advice, but there is no "overnight" solution for becoming a pro-level Overwatch player. Realistically, you just need to keep playing and improving.

I also think watching Twitch is another good route. Overwatch, as a video game, is obviously very centered on reflexes and the what not, but the mental side of the game is just as important. Understanding maps and the game's "theory" are also essential for becoming a top-level player.

Zyrcon

Reaction score
I think if you combine just playing a lot with reading a little bit and watching streams, you'll find improvement pretty quickly. It's easy to become afraid of playing competitive games nowadays, but really just getting into the fray is the best way to improve.