• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Any Apple product "Pros" available to help?

Disco Turtle

Reaction score
My mother recently came to me saying her iPad mini (I believe the first generation) is very, very slow. Web browsing is unresponsive, keyboard delays, etc. It previously was jailbroken, but I already wiped the iPad on 2 occasions. Even now, after a wipe, it's still acting clunky. An app shows the ram/CPU usages were nearly 70%+ (Resetting the ram lowered it, but didn't seem to be a permanent solution). I know it's an oldish tablet, but it shouldn't be this bad

Any ideas?

Last edited:

fireball916

Reaction score
Unfortunately it's probably due to older hardware showing it's age. The processor used in a 1st gen iPad Mini is the A5 which is the same processor as the iPhone 4S. The 4S was released in 2011-2012, so it's a solid 5+ year old processor. It also has a really low amount of ram with only half a gig (512MB). I own a iPod Touch 5th gen which also uses the A5 processor and 512MB of ram so I know perfectly well how sluggish these old devices can get. My only advice is to keep the storage as open as possible, especially if it's a 16GB storage iPad, and to try to keep as few apps going/open at the same time. Of course there's always the option to sell it and upgrade to a new iPad/Tablet lol.

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
I happen to own a iPad Mini as well. Specifically one of the older ones (I think it's still on iOS 6 lol)

Although it may not be as fast and as good quality as my iPhone 7 it is still a great tablet and since I try and keep my electronics in decent condition (rare exception of my new iPhone as I broke the sapphire glass on the rear lens whilst going to get a case lol).

I think it may be time to upgrade for you. My iPad still works fine and I plan on using it as my Electronic Flight bag for when I start Aviation training as its in that good of condition. Good luck m8ty.

Disco Turtle

Reaction score
I'll have to recheck it. Thankfully she mostly uses it for facebook.

Besides, conveniently my computer's GPU just died out of nowhere, so I don't have the best of luck with electronics :/