• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

C# or Python for Games?

overcast

Reaction score
I have decided to make use of Unity. And I am learning C# I am not much into the python as of yet. I know that there are some game frameworks that allow python too. But it seems Unity is more popular and one doesn't have to pay for it for freeware games. So I am just learning about it. What is the good use of the gaming engine with language? Which is your preferred language in that case?

C# or Python in your opinion?

Zyrcon

Reaction score
If you're going to really get into it, C# would be the better choice long-term. While you obviously can make games with Python, there are many limitations and the libraries are pretty limited compared to the options you'll have with C#.

Yukibana

Reaction score
C# is probably the more effective language to code a game in. Python, by being a scripting language, is going to be slower and more difficult to optimize. C#, while more low-level, will run faster because it is a compiled language. Even though there might be resources to code a game with Python, those are more aimed towards hobbyists.

overcast

Reaction score
If you're going to really get into it, C# would be the better choice long-term. While you obviously can make games with Python, there are many limitations and the libraries are pretty limited compared to the options you'll have with C#.
I agree on the library part. I have found that python lacks the Unity. And that's one of the popular library. So one can see that it would not be easy to make use of the python for mobile games. My focus as of now is strictly on the mobile games. So that's one reason I am looking for something strong gaming engine.

Decypher

Reaction score
C# is better than python on the game development plane, because you will have larger development environment in C# than with python. so it's better you learn both, because the moment you start asking whether this language is better than this, then you should learn both. but when it comes to game development C# will always be better than python. it's libraries are way many than that of python

Referal

Reaction score
Python is a big thing now for gaming development actually all Web Development is now moving to python it such a big thing I personally have played and have visted website that have implement python in its websites and must say they did a good job at it python games are snakes and another one which everyone knows and loves Civilization IV uses python for its game and Flappy Bird (RIP 2013-2015) which indeed was an awesome game to play on PC and phone when I was a bit younger