• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Can you believe the Xbox 360 outsold the Wii U?

dmch

Reaction score
I can't believe that a 7 year old gaming system outsold the first to market next generation gaming console. apparently it wasn't even close either. The Wii u only sold about 400,000 units, and the Xbox 360 sold almost double that over the black friday weekend.

source: http://xbox720guide.com/2012/11/xbox-360-outsells-wii-u-over-holiday-shopping-weekend/

This could be trouble for Nintendo if they don't figure out how to fix this.

Brandon

Admin
Administrator
Premium
Reaction score
Dont worry when the 360 gets redring of death and also its only because wiiu doesnt have that many games nintendo will be bossing it up next year im going to buy a wiiu just for zelda x.x

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
Actually Zane , the RoD has been fixed many updates ago. & The new 360 consoles don't get them at all. Also to be fair dmch the new wii is not the next gen console. It is actually just catching up to the console generation we are in now.

To also point out the black friday and cyber monday sales where huge, It would not surprise me.

Edit:
Also, a quick find:

With the Wii U having comparable graphical capabilities with those of the current-gen Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, do Microsoft and Sony really have to respond with even more powerful consoles? Assuming that they will is a safe bet; however, doing so would only be a response to Nintendo's Wii U then being in direct competition with their market.
If we assume that Nintendo's Wii U does warrant a response, then much like the Wii, the Wii U will be severely underpowered in the next generation of consoles. In terms of being a "next"-gen console, the Wii U only qualifies because it's technically the successor to the Wii. For when Microsoft and Sony decide to announce their follow ups to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Nintendo's Wii U will bite the dust.

James

Reaction score
I can believe it, yes. Considering that the Xbox has a huge library of games available and, because it's been out for about 6-7 years, they could afford to sell it for a lower price. The Wii U just came out.

However, if you compare the number of units sold during the first two weeks after launch, the Wii U sold more. Xbox having sold about 326,000.

NecroWolf

Reaction score
What Nintendo lacks in hardware they have always made up for by having a larger game selection. I can't recall them ever having the "best" system speed wise but their selection of games is what keeps them selling.

Smokey

Reaction score
Well the Xbox 360 is better than a portable Nintendo device. No doubt.
LOL hehe. :p I'm not surprised honestly. Nintendo has been coming in last for generations now. The gamecube? Semi-flop. Wii? Flop....Wii-U? definitely will be a flop. A next gen console with current gen specs/graphics? Hmmmm, see a problem here? I do......

charlieman999

Reaction score
Xbox 360 has been out for years, they have a huge library of games available and is considerably cheaper than the Wiiu, once Wiiu have more AAA titles made by Nintendo as a new Zelda and some price drop sales will go up.

thepostman

Reaction score
The Wii U is a new system, which means small game library. The 360, on the other hand, has a huge library of games to choose from. I eventually plan to pick one up myself whenever the staple Nintendo games come out (Mario, Zelda).

Jessi

Reaction score
I can believe it, yes. Considering that the Xbox has a huge library of games available and, because it's been out for about 6-7 years, they could afford to sell it for a lower price. The Wii U just came out.

That's what I was going to mention, too.

The price difference makes a big difference. And people are already familiar with Xbox 360s to the point that some people would rather buy a new one to replace their current broken ones because they already have the games and whatnot.

StolenKid

Reaction score
Yes I do believe it, it seems like nowadays nintendo puts a console that would work... like 10 years ago, the Wii U is not a good console, it's pretty bad in my opinion and the Xbox is way superior to the Wii U.

WarVet

Reaction score
Yes I do believe it, it seems like nowadays nintendo puts a console that would work... like 10 years ago, the Wii U is not a good console, it's pretty bad in my opinion and the Xbox is way superior to the Wii U.

Yeah, i not only can believe in it but I already expected it. Personally, I prefer the PS4 but there is no way the Wii could beat any of them. Microsoft and Sony seem to understand that video games are not for children only anymore but for adults as well and Nintendo hasn't quite grasped the concept. Gaming has evolved and Nintendo hasn't. The only things that keeps it alive are classics and fanboys.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I can, the only reason why the Wii sold so good is because it was a gimmick/fad and everyone wanted to be a part of it. Every game that I ever played on the Wii was horrible. And the Wii U is no different, it doesn't have any good games! And you need games to sell a system.

ZXD22

Reaction score
Nintendo really needs to start picking up the pace before it's too late.

SuperBugMan

Reaction score
Nintendo seems to have learned from their mistake for the most part. The main one being the name Wii U. I consider myself tech savy and at first I thought it was a tablet addon for the Wii. The Switch seems to be doing pretty well. The lack of games worries me though and is reminiscent of the Nintendo 64 and Wii U. However, the console sales are very good, so hopefully the games will follow.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Nintendo seems to have learned from their mistake for the most part. The main one being the name Wii U. I consider myself tech savy and at first I thought it was a tablet addon for the Wii. The Switch seems to be doing pretty well. The lack of games worries me though and is reminiscent of the Nintendo 64 and Wii U. However, the console sales are very good, so hopefully the games will follow.
I'm a Nintendo supporter, but don't forget that the Wii U sold very well in its first year, too. What killed it in the long run was the lack of major third-party games compared to its direct competitors (PS4 and Xbox One), and that was due to hardware limitations. The Switch could potentially suffer the same fate if its added value (portable/handheld hybrid nature) isn't properly exploited. It can't fight with next-generation consoles, so it has to stand in its own market.
I really hope Nintendo learned from its mistakes. Hopefully the new management's difference will be noticeable this time.

Twig30

Reaction score
I can't believe that a 7 year old gaming system outsold the first to market next generation gaming console. apparently it wasn't even close either. The Wii u only sold about 400,000 units, and the Xbox 360 sold almost double that over the black friday weekend.

source: http://xbox720guide.com/2012/11/xbox-360-outsells-wii-u-over-holiday-shopping-weekend/

This could be trouble for Nintendo if they don't figure out how to fix this.

I don't believe it! The Xbox 360 outsold the Nintendo Wii U? That is shocking. The Wii U looked so cool and the Xbox 360 is so old, why would anyone want an Xbox 360 when the Wii U just came out. This is the most outrageous gaming console selling that I have ever heard of and probably won't be topped for a while.

Moaz

Reaction score
Well, Xbox is better than the Wii by levels..one of the reasons is that Xbox have many games, not just some games which you should move your hands up and down, and all the directions to play.. Xbox will never fail.

SeanP

Reaction score
This is a damning indictment of the failure that the Wii U was. It's hard to pinpoint the console's failure on a single element, but Nintendo's marketing was abysmal. The commercials that Nintendo ran for the Wii hardly even indicated that the Wii U was a console separate from the Wii, which was an especially dangerous territory to tread considering just how many peripherals were made for the Wii.

The 360's ability to continue pushing units is strange as well. I suppose the console's price makes it an easier pick up for those not concerned with being early adopters.