• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Favorite Ps1 Games?

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
Many of us here probably have owned a PS1 and along with that is the fact that many games were played.

Some of my favorite games from Playstation1 is the Crash Bandicoot series and Megaman X4-6. Crash also served as a fun character to look up when I was young because he is very funny. Megaman X because I love the difficulty from fighting bosses and also the secret parts and items were very interesting.

I also remember liking Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman and Jackie Chan: Stuntmaster.
What were your favorite PS1 games?
Also can you recommend fun multiplayer games on PS1?

Pixie06

Reaction score
I never had a PS1 but however I did play many PS1 games at my cousin's place. My favorite one is Metal Gear Solid. I also played my first fighting game on the PS1 and this is Tekken. I still play Tekken games and I never get bored playing this fighting game. Some other games that I like include Tomb Raider II, Final Fantasy IX and Gran Turismo 2.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
The Crash Bandicoot stuff were great. For a really old system like the PS1, it had amazingly long games. Too bad some games these days only last 5 hours at least. Back then you could play the same games for months and not get bored. RE games were great too, although the problem with those PS games is that they were disc operated, and when the disc gets damaged, it's literally game over.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
The Crash Bandicoot stuff were great. For a really old system like the PS1, it had amazingly long games. Too bad some games these days only last 5 hours at least. Back then you could play the same games for months and not get bored. RE games were great too, although the problem with those PS games is that they were disc operated, and when the disc gets damaged, it's literally game over.

This has always been the case with consoles, especially when they have not yet featured digital copies of games. Whenever a game disc stops working, it must be bought a game.
I remember that I have purchased at least 3 copies of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas for PS2 because of the discs getting damaged.

Also I remember I saw a store selling pirated PS1 games. I tried looking at the shop JUST WHEN IT GOT RAIDED by the police. Raiding has been a thing back then here when there are stores selling pirated discs..

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
This has always been the case with consoles, especially when they have not yet featured digital copies of games. Whenever a game disc stops working, it must be bought a game.
I remember that I have purchased at least 3 copies of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas for PS2 because of the discs getting damaged.

Also I remember I saw a store selling pirated PS1 games. I tried looking at the shop JUST WHEN IT GOT RAIDED by the police. Raiding has been a thing back then here when there are stores selling pirated discs..
lmao I remember buying 5 different NBA 2K9 PS2 games because my cousins kept borrowing (and destroying) the disc. I can't really charge them for it because they'll run to their parents who are very strict and protective on their kids. I hated them so much. Lots of money spent because a scratch in the disc meant I couldn't play anymore.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I loved my PS1. I actually had two total because the first one died on me... I probably played it too much and the disc laser thingy stopped working so I bought another.

Anyway, I have many favorite games from the PS1 and they all remind me of my childhood;
- FFVII; who doesn't remember this one? The best FF up to date and it holds a special place in my heart.
- Tekken 3; a friend gave it to me for a few days while he was away and I got completely addicted.
- Pandemonium!; a great platformer with many challenging levels.
- Spyro 2; the most awesome dragon ever. Yes, mock away.

Those are just a few :) I miss them.

WarVet

Reaction score
Personally, my favorites were Dino Crisis and Harvest Moon. MGS1 also was very good. I love how back in the PS1 day technology wouldn't allow for better graphics so the stories were very well developed and developers took care to put a lot of content into their games. Nowadays releases just aren't the same :(

luispas

Reaction score
The Playstation 1 was the console that got me into games, and it made me what I am right now. Some of my great childhood memories were with my PS1, my 2 brothers and I bought it to our cousin for a really great price, and she also had a lot of games that we used to start. I can honestly say that my favorite games are: Crash Bandicoot (1, 2 and 3), Digimon (1, 2), Spyro and Tekken 3.

lindbergh

Reaction score
The PlayStation 1 had an awesome library. It had games in every genre which pleased both casual and hard core fans. Although there were a lot of incredible games which I played during the lifespan of the PS 1, one game stood above the rest - Xenogears.
37843-Xenogears_%5BDisc1of2%5D_%5BU%5D-2.png

Xenogears was an RPG game made by Square (more popularly known for their FF franchise). At first I thought that I wouldn't like the game because I was not into sci-fi RPGs with robots (yes, it had robots!). But I have the game a chance. And from the intro, it did not let up. I was sucked into the game world from the beginning. Here are the factors that made Xenogears probably the best RPG in the PS 1 and of all time:
  1. Story - square was able to conjure a story for the ages. It included themes of love and sacrifice and friendship and also was able to include controversial stuff like politics and religion. It's probably the best story that square has come up with in any of their video games.
  2. Characters - the characters are extremely loveable. There's great character development and progression in the game which makes us care for them deeply. When somebody dies of leaves, it usually has a huge effect on the player.
  3. Massive world - like most RPGs, you got to travel the world here in Xenogears. You start out at a small village, and due to some circumstances, have to travel across the globe. The world is vast and immersive with lots of things to do and discover.
  4. Combat system - this is one of the best combat systems that square has used in its RPGs and I don't know why they don't use it as often. Combat could happen on foot, or could happen while on a Robot/mech called a Gear. You could dish out weak, medium and strong attacks. Attacks use up action points With weak attacks using up only a few points and strong using up lots of points. Each character and gear has a number of action points to use every turn. It's such a fun battle system.
  5. Graphics and sound - the graphics aren't very striking but they do a decent job to portray the characters and the game world. It is in full 3D which makes exploration such a joy. Sound is also awesome, with each and every location having a different theme.
This game is absolutely amazing.

randolm

Reaction score
It doesnt make sense to me but for some reason Ace combat 3 (the crappy US version) as a kid. When I was young I couldn't get enough of it- now that I think of it I dont really have much to remember about particular PS1 games... I guess thats what happens when your too young to buy your own games lol. I do remember FF8 ticked me off- my save kept corrupting I ended up repeating the first area 3-4 times and only even saw disc 2 once.

Blaine019

Reaction score
My favorite would be Monster Rancher 2. I could play this game over and over again, I still have this one on my emulators and I play it sometimes whenever I have free time. My second favorite is Final Fantasy IX (FF9). I've completed this one for about 5 times or more, I just love the story.

lindbergh

Reaction score
It doesnt make sense to me but for some reason Ace combat 3 (the crappy US version) as a kid. When I was young I couldn't get enough of it- now that I think of it I dont really have much to remember about particular PS1 games... I guess thats what happens when your too young to buy your own games lol. I do remember FF8 ticked me off- my save kept corrupting I ended up repeating the first area 3-4 times and only even saw disc 2 once.
Hey! I also loved Ace Combat 3! I have seen some airplane simulators being played on YouTube and read about them on magazines and wanted to try them out myself. The closest thing that I had to an airplane simulator was Ace Combat 3. It was the first game that allowed to to fly an airplane. And I could do it either in 3rd person view or first person view. I thought that it was very cool. I did get a bit dizzy from playing it for long periods...

Regarding your FF8 issue, I'm fortunate to have not encountered that problem and I'm lucky enough to reach up to disc 4. :)

WarVet

Reaction score
The PlayStation 1 had an awesome library. It had games in every genre which pleased both casual and hard core fans. Although there were a lot of incredible games which I played during the lifespan of the PS 1, one game stood above the rest - Xenogears.
37843-Xenogears_%5BDisc1of2%5D_%5BU%5D-2.png

Xenogears was an RPG game made by Square (more popularly known for their FF franchise). At first I thought that I wouldn't like the game because I was not into sci-fi RPGs with robots (yes, it had robots!). But I have the game a chance. And from the intro, it did not let up. I was sucked into the game world from the beginning. Here are the factors that made Xenogears probably the best RPG in the PS 1 and of all time:
  1. Story - square was able to conjure a story for the ages. It included themes of love and sacrifice and friendship and also was able to include controversial stuff like politics and religion. It's probably the best story that square has come up with in any of their video games.
  2. Characters - the characters are extremely loveable. There's great character development and progression in the game which makes us care for them deeply. When somebody dies of leaves, it usually has a huge effect on the player.
  3. Massive world - like most RPGs, you got to travel the world here in Xenogears. You start out at a small village, and due to some circumstances, have to travel across the globe. The world is vast and immersive with lots of things to do and discover.
  4. Combat system - this is one of the best combat systems that square has used in its RPGs and I don't know why they don't use it as often. Combat could happen on foot, or could happen while on a Robot/mech called a Gear. You could dish out weak, medium and strong attacks. Attacks use up action points With weak attacks using up only a few points and strong using up lots of points. Each character and gear has a number of action points to use every turn. It's such a fun battle system.
  5. Graphics and sound - the graphics aren't very striking but they do a decent job to portray the characters and the game world. It is in full 3D which makes exploration such a joy. Sound is also awesome, with each and every location having a different theme.
This game is absolutely amazing.
It seems like a great game! How come i had never heard about it before haha. This reminded me of that old game called "Guardians Crusade" PS1 also you had to guide this baby monster through a series of hardships. Very cool.

lindbergh

Reaction score
It seems like a great game! How come i had never heard about it before haha. This reminded me of that old game called "Guardians Crusade" PS1 also you had to guide this baby monster through a series of hardships. Very cool.
It wasn't as popular as Square's flagship RPG - Final Fantasy. A lot of people were probably saving their money to get FFVIII but what they didn't know was that Xenogears was waaaay better than any Final Fantasy game that came out on the PS1.

Oh yeah, I've played Guardian's Crusade too! It had very colorful and cartoony graphics. It was pretty fun to play with all the living toys that you could collect and the pink, hippo looking dragon that you had to baby sit during the game. But Xenogears trumps this game in the story, sound, and gameplay department.

WarVet

Reaction score
It wasn't as popular as Square's flagship RPG - Final Fantasy. A lot of people were probably saving their money to get FFVIII but what they didn't know was that Xenogears was waaaay better than any Final Fantasy game that came out on the PS1.

Oh yeah, I've played Guardian's Crusade too! It had very colorful and cartoony graphics. It was pretty fun to play with all the living toys that you could collect and the pink, hippo looking dragon that you had to baby sit during the game. But Xenogears trumps this game in the story, sound, and gameplay department.
Really? That comes to me as a big surprise. I will definitely look up an emulator to play it but in the mean time what is the story about? I am a huge fan of story in games and a good one definitely makes a game stand out for me.

Sino989

Reaction score
i would have to say that my favorite PS1 game would by far have to be metal gear solid because I had so much fun playing that game and to this day it is one of my all time favorite games!

Muaaz

Reaction score
My favorite PS1 games are those which I played on PSX emulator as I never had a PS1. I used to have a Pentium 3 at that time with a Sega Genesis. When the world was playing Tekken and Crash bandicoot on their PS1, I was having fun with Sonic and Street fighter. Still, i managed to get my hands on ps1 games in 2001 and played TEKKEN 3 and Pepsi man which I really enjoyed although they had quite scratchy animations.

Dkaraly

Reaction score
I never owned a PS1 but one of my best friends did. I loved to play Street Fighter, Samurai X and Digimon with him. I remember I also used to play a Yu-Gi-Oh! PS1 game he owned, but that was a long time ago. I was like 9 years old or something like that. I think my favorite game was Samurai X because I loved the anime.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
I came around in the PS2 era. So I never actually had a PS1 of my own. I did, however, have one specific friend who owned a PS1. He had the worst games though if I'm honest:emoji_joy: Looking back on it, I'd have to say my favorite PS1 game, in particular, was Harry Potter. The characters were hilariousHarry Potter PS1 #1.jpg Harry Potter PS1 #2.jpg Harry Potter PS1 #3.jpg

Good memories, it is special though because it pioneered for the famous PS2 to come.