• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Guild applications

Jessi

Reaction score
What kinds of questions do you think should be on guild applications?

Some basics would be experience and gear, etc. Do you think it's appropriate to ask for age or gender? Does it matter? How about personal information to get to know a person better to see if they fit with your group?

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score

Some basics would be experience and gear, etc. Do you think it's appropriate to ask for age or gender? Does it matter? How about personal information to get to know a person better to see if they fit with your group?

In my honest opinion it really does matter on what game your playing and what type of guild you are. Until you Can answer these then I could provide a set of questions.

Age should not matter if they are able to keep the maturity level and still know ho to have fun at the same time. I seen lots of older people be more immature then younger ones. However, don't let that deceive you. Young ones can be even worse.

For personal information I don't think anything more then there first name should be needed.

Shole

Reaction score
My guilds usually dont have any requests if any then from lvl X you are allowed to join my guild .
I love to have as many active players as possible in my guild :)

Zyni

Reaction score
When my husband and I had a guild, we mostly asked about game details rather than personal stuff. Although, we always asked about their age. We were a group of adults. We didn't want to count on people to show up only to have to worry about kids getting grounded or having homework and stuff and not being available. Also, since gaming was a break from real life, we didn't want to have to take care of other people's children.

We only invited people 18+. It may sound 'mean' or whatever, but it was also for the sake of the kids. Some adult language might get used or off color jokes might get told from time to time that they don't really need to hear.

In my experience, social guilds don't generally have too many restrictions, but raiding or PvP guilds tend to have more (especially if it's a group of serious players).

littlestar

Reaction score
I generally just make a list of my expectations and make those known. Applications tend to be too much of a fuss for me. I let people join and if they don't mesh well with the group, I remove them.

Zyni

Reaction score
I generally just make a list of my expectations and make those known. Applications tend to be too much of a fuss for me. I let people join and if they don't mesh well with the group, I remove them.

I can see doing that with a casual guild, but having applications made things easier for us. It was a bit of a streamlining process, so I didn't spend all my game time dealing with drama, having to kick people, worrying about their gear or if they could play. They clicked yes to reading the rules, told us a bit about their experience and gear. Then we could look them up and talk it over when we were all available. If they looked like a good fit, they got an invite. It didn't always work out, but I hate kicking people, and I think it made less of that for me. :smiley:

valy

Reaction score
Hi, Jessi I do believe there should be some requests or rules to be applied before to join guilt. Yes, I think it's appropriate to ask for age but not the gender. If I have guilt I don't want members that would have the age between 10-14 years, but I don't care about their gender, in fact, girls are good at playing games!

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I typically like social guilds better so I do intend other information that might be personal. It doesn't have to be the address or whatnot, the gender is enough for me, followed by a series of questions that would determine if someone is right for us based on his/her answers. I think that's a better approach since they would know what they're getting themselves into and they would know what type of people are we looking for.

WarVet

Reaction score

Let's put it this way: If you owned a company and was about to hire a new worker wouldn't you want to find out the most about him or her? Hardcore gamers take their trades just as seriously as a real job so I think it is necessary yes within reason of course. Some information is too personal for anyone else but yourself to know. But things like age and gender should be disclosed without much of a fuss.

Zyni

Reaction score
That's true. Some people do take it quite seriously. I've seen guild applications that look like job apps.

We were a bit on the serious side (competitive, progress driven), but not super hardcore. Our main purpose for apps was to make things easier on the officers. Trust me, we had plenty of other stuff to do, so anything that made the process smoother was helpful. I still wanted to have time to actually play the game and have fun.