• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Has anyone played the Game of Thrones video game?

Pixie06

Reaction score
I really love watching this show and I know that there is also a video game based on the show. I never tried playing the game but I saw that the game has received some positive reviews. I just want to have other opinions about this game and know whether it's worth playing it.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
Which one are you referring to? There are multiple GoT games.

I love GoT myself! I recently just completed the Game of Thrones: Telltale Games version. That one is about you playing as characters of house Forrester. Everything you do and choose affects your game later on. I really enjoyed the story of this game, however, I honestly wouldn't call it a "game". as 90% of this "game" is cutscenes :p

The gameplay consists of you just moving forward or tapping a couple buttons once in a while lmao.
However, I still encourage any GoT fans to try it as the story is amazing.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Which one are you referring to? There are multiple GoT games.

I love GoT myself! I recently just completed the Game of Thrones: Telltale Games version. That one is about you playing as characters of house Forrester. Everything you do and choose affects your game later on. I really enjoyed the story of this game, however, I honestly wouldn't call it a "game". as 90% of this "game" is cutscenes :p

The gameplay consists of you just moving forward or tapping a couple buttons once in a while lmao.
However, I still encourage any GoT fans to try it as the story is amazing.

Yeah, I think that he means that one. It's basically like Jordan said. Have you ever played the Walking Dead series from Telltale Games? it's like that. They're using the same gameplay and system. It's interactive story where you follow different characters, their interaction and try to influence actions with your own decisions.

I personally haven't played through all of the six episodes but I am half way through the first one. It was one of the free to play games for PS4 plus members so I got the whole season :) so far I like it.

There are some mentions of the GoT characters but you aren't playing as one. I won't give too many spoilers! I think that the first episode was also free to download on certain platforms, not sure if it's still available.

Disco Turtle

Reaction score
The most I've played are Game of Thrones mods for Mount and Blade Warband, which is fantastic and incredibly fun if you enjoy MBW

WarVet

Reaction score
The most I've played are Game of Thrones mods for Mount and Blade Warband, which is fantastic and incredibly fun if you enjoy MBW
Is there such a mod? Oh damn i am a big Mount and blade fan and i would love to take a look at that. Where can i find it?

Frank

Reaction score
I believe OP's referring to the 2012 RPG. If that's the case, I haven't personally played it, but I watched my friend play it and it's no wonder it didn't get much traction. It's a run of the mill, bland action role-playing game. They pretty much copied every rpg cliche and set in Westeros, hoping it would sell on the name value alone.

Disco Turtle

Reaction score
Is there such a mod? Oh damn i am a big Mount and blade fan and i would love to take a look at that. Where can i find it?
Theres "A Clash of Kings" which is more polished, but i've heard good things about "A world of ice and fire" I believe.

Last edited:

Xilkozuf

Reaction score

If you like strategy games you could also tyr Crusader Kings 2, there is an extremely good mod Game of Thrones-related for that.

Anyway, I never played the RPG or the strategy GoT games, but I played the Telltale game! And honestly... I'm sorry to say I was a bit disappointed. I found it to be a bit boring, and absolutely not at the level of the show (or the books!). I had great hopes seeing the great work they did with The Walking Dead and other games, but this one was a bit of a let down for me.

Pixie06

Reaction score
Yeah, I think that he means that one. It's basically like Jordan said. Have you ever played the Walking Dead series from Telltale Games? it's like that. They're using the same gameplay and system. It's interactive story where you follow different characters, their interaction and try to influence actions with your own decisions.

I personally haven't played through all of the six episodes but I am half way through the first one. It was one of the free to play games for PS4 plus members so I got the whole season :) so far I like it.

There are some mentions of the GoT characters but you aren't playing as one. I won't give too many spoilers! I think that the first episode was also free to download on certain platforms, not sure if it's still available.
Thank you very much for this review. I will try to see if I can get this game from one of my friends. Yes I did play The Walking Dead:Season 2. This was a good one I must say.

WarVet

Reaction score
If you like strategy games you could also tyr Crusader Kings 2, there is an extremely good mod Game of Thrones-related for that.

Anyway, I never played the RPG or the strategy GoT games, but I played the Telltale game! And honestly... I'm sorry to say I was a bit disappointed. I found it to be a bit boring, and absolutely not at the level of the show (or the books!). I had great hopes seeing the great work they did with The Walking Dead and other games, but this one was a bit of a let down for me.

Thanks for the suggestion! So I heard buddy. The problem is when the main media sets a very high standard like it happened with GOT it becomes hard for the producers of other medias to follow and produce something with so much quality. The same thing happened with Lord of The Rings. Great book, great movies, lousy games (Except for the third). Kudos on HBO for making such a great show though.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Episode 1 of the Telltale games is currently free at the moment at their website. I'm not gonna get it though; it doesn't go to Steam so I can't get any cards, and the reviews on the game aren't that great since it's not that fun being in a Game of Thrones world and you're not one of the main houses. You'll just end up getting tortured, killed, and tossed away since you're, well, a Game of Thrones character. But hey if you guys want to try it out, there's an entire season I think that's available, with the first episode free if you want to test the waters before buying the whole thing.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! So I heard buddy. The problem is when the main media sets a very high standard like it happened with GOT it becomes hard for the producers of other medias to follow and produce something with so much quality. The same thing happened with Lord of The Rings. Great book, great movies, lousy games (Except for the third). Kudos on HBO for making such a great show though.

Lords of the RIngs game are (for the most part) pretty good, expecially those that aren't directly based on the movies. Have you played Shadow of Mordor? That was extremely good in my opinion.

@OursIsTheFury Actually you aren't just one character, you control almost the entire house. it's a house made just for the game I think anyway, so it's not that interesting, I agree... and you don't get to see many of the events of the main series. It could have been a thing well done.
Maybe a prequel would have been a better idea, set during Robert's rebellion.

WarVet

Reaction score
Lords of the RIngs game are (for the most part) pretty good, expecially those that aren't directly based on the movies. Have you played Shadow of Mordor? That was extremely good in my opinion.

@OursIsTheFury Actually you aren't just one character, you control almost the entire house. it's a house made just for the game I think anyway, so it's not that interesting, I agree... and you don't get to see many of the events of the main series. It could have been a thing well done.
Maybe a prequel would have been a better idea, set during Robert's rebellion.
Oh yes i liked shadow of mordor a lot. It's just that i find the games based on the movie not that great. Especially the first one. They had such a rich universe to explore and didn't make the best of it.

Tania997

Reaction score
Oh yes i liked shadow of mordor a lot. It's just that i find the games based on the movie not that great. Especially the first one. They had such a rich universe to explore and didn't make the best of it.

I agree. In games you don't have to respect the lenght of a movie so there really is no excuse about diminishing the lore. We should know the universe better in the game, instead they always cut things short. It almost looks like they just want money on the game's name alone.

WarVet

Reaction score
I agree. In games you don't have to respect the lenght of a movie so there really is no excuse about diminishing the lore. We should know the universe better in the game, instead they always cut things short. It almost looks like they just want money on the game's name alone.
A sad reality. Take shadow of mordor for example. What i liked about the game was the combat mechanics and the missions. The story itself could have been better explored and they could have made the game less repetitive.

Zeratul2020

Reaction score
Well between LOTR games and the newer GOT games, LOTR wins in my book. Why the hell GOT games doesn't have any known characters in it. Who's gonna play that crap.