• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Hearthstone p2w yes or no?

Hakinator

Reaction score
When I started to play Hearthstone some people said it was p2w and some said it isn't. In my opinion it's not p2w because you can get all the cards without spending money. Spending only makes it easier to get all the cards.

So what is your opinion. Is Hearthstone p2w yes or no and why?

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I don't play but I have seen other people play and it is 100% p2w and a screw your mind over game. I seen one friend get a awesome caqrd in a pack and I seen another friend spend over $300 and get nothing but crap cards.There was a story on PC gamer where a guy spent $40k to get all the cards. And that is insanity!

pauldox3

Reaction score
It's not entirely pay to win but it is in a certain degree. Legendary cards are generally insanely strong which makes it super unfair if you would pit a guy who spends alot of money vs a guy who abuses free to play. Although a free to player could get on the same level as those players who spends alot of money on thw game but it would take a considerable amount of time. Although there are decks that doesnt require that much high rarity cards such as jade army decks or elemental decks.

AndrewG

Reaction score
It is a free game with a competitive aspect, so you do have to consider how they would make their money other than P2W. So, yeah I definitely think it is. If you want to make a random deck with the cards you have, go ahead, but ultimately you will get destroyed by the current meta decks that everyone spams.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I would say Hearthstone is more fun if you're also a World of Warcraft subscriber since there are occasional cross overs between the two. It's also a more enjoyable experience to unlock characters with money that aren't otherwise available. That said, I don't really see much impediment to just playing with what comes free. The game more slows you down than puts up a wall and it's not so much that it feels cheap.

kenoobie

Reaction score
I think hearthstone is a demanding game that needs to have specific cards in order to be competitive. From what I keep hearing from other people legendary drop rates are low so newer players would have to shell out some money or keep farming gold for specific periods of time to get to a competitive level.

user238

Reaction score
I think that the problem with this is that it is both true and untrue. Sure, you can't win without the cards, you certainly can't get into legendary or probably higher than rank 15 without the rare cards. I do not believe you simply cant because as its been said in multiple other posts, you NEED to have the rare cards in order to make certain combos or decks work.

I don't even think you can play against the bosses in the single player releases without the rare cards.

I do sometimes wish that it was a bit like MtG in that there was more stuff that could " happen " but then again I am quite happy with Hearthstone and regardless of the fact that you need to spend 50$ to get that 50 pack release a couple times a year is a fair trade for the sheer amount of hours that you put into it.

Skip Mcdonalds 5 times and you've got your cash for your cards.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Any game that charges you money for an easier time getting in-game items that in turn make the game easier, is pay to win. If the items are for aesthetic purposes and you buy them just to brag about it, then it's not pay to win. It's that simple. When the main weapons in the game are cards, and you gotta pay to get the best ones faster, then it's not really worth playing for me in my opinion.