• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How do sports video games like FIFA take into consideration game strategy

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
Because there is too many people that only see 22 people running behind a ball, but it is not that simple, that is why they have a DT, this person is very important, he is like a chess player that put his best 11 pieces in the field with a strategy in mind to beat the opponent. This is the reason why exist a lot of formations and positions in the game. All the team games have a strategy and it is very important to play a game. It is like chess but with moving pieces.

valy

Reaction score
Games like this are not made to provide a mathematical winner as BatmanWayne said there are 22 people running behind a ball, so, the point of the game is to challenge the player.
The idea is to challenge the player to be the best he can be while maintaining a diversity between rosters and players. There could be a standardized formula; cause sports can't be predicted by just look out at stats and skills of the player.

overcast

Reaction score
AI is designed lot different. Here the simulation of the real game is made. And then the game is designed to be played either with the AI or among the players. So the algorithm choices are going to be lot easier if it knows the outcome and the flow. There are many scenarios like passing the ball and other FIFA rules. So it does take that into account.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
I don't have a clue on this.my guess is that they record actual games.

WarVet

Reaction score
I think that they give each player a ranking on stats like Speed, accuracy, strength, ball control and so on. Based on that they simulate the chances a Team has to win based on the coefficient of all players stats. When I played it was easy to see how unrealistic it was to pick an inferior team and score many goals against a much stronger one. I guess sometimes the ratings don't match reality well.