• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Is Elder Scrolls Online Worth Getting?

Martin

Reaction score
So, I know that when the game originally launched it wasn't received too well when it came out first on PC. There was a fair wack of complaints about it from what I have seen. But since the PS4 version launches soon, and I had this game eyed up anyway, I wanted to know what you think of the game now - is it worth the £50 purchase for PS4?

Catactus

Reaction score
If it's even half as good as Skyrim was, then yes it's worth it!

RivaCom

Reaction score
If you were looking for a Online Oblivion, then buy the game. If you were looking for a MMO, do not buy it.

Martin

Reaction score
People don't seem to like the consoles UI or controls nearly as much as they like the PC versions, might miss out on this game.

Dean

Reaction score
The xbox version SUCKS. £50 down the drain.

Do not get.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
The xbox version SUCKS. £50 down the drain.

Do not get.
Maybe elaborate more on why you did not like it?
Which features put you off?

I personally do not like the way the movement felt on PC.

Dean

Reaction score
Maybe elaborate more on why you did not like it?
Which features put you off?

I personally do not like the way the movement felt on PC.

Bad UX, literally menus after menus after menus.. Easy to get lost, fast travel doesn't work like it should. No in-game text based chat (seriously wth?!?!) The paid currency items all suck really bad.. I could go on for days lol

Blue Betta

Reaction score
I guess I'm a bit behind the times in that I'm just looking into this. I'm interested because I love the Elder Scrolls games, but it sounds like people think the gameplay makes it not worth it. Can someone tell me a bit more about the world and how the gameplay compares to Skyrim? Not too many spoilers, please! ;) Though I will say, if the Shivering Isles are in there and they look half as good as Oblivion, I would wade through a sea of menus, especially if Sheogorath is in the game.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Short answer, no. It's a generic online RPG with Elder Scrolls elements, and it really squeezes all the money out of you. From purchasing the base game, to expansion packs for new areas which are even more expensive than the base, then to the in-game currency so you can get yourself a horse, pet, or whatever it is that people want. It's a rip-off of the success of Skyrim, and it's one cash grab after another. I got my copy on a sale, and I still am not convinced I got a deal because without in-game coins for purchase, you would be bored of the game immediately, or you would stand out as the cheap gamer among the rich players.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I am glad that I came across this thread because I was heavily considering getting it. It is because of the new Morrowind expansion. I've played Elders Scrolls III: Morrowind and it is still one of the best RPG's I've ever played... along with Oblivion and Skyrim. So, when I saw that they're adding it to their online game I was really interested.

I guess I'll avoid it if it's really into ''pay to win'' sort of thing. I don't mind in-game microtransactions as long as they don't basically force you to pay to be able to progress the game normally.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I am glad that I came across this thread because I was heavily considering getting it. It is because of the new Morrowind expansion. I've played Elders Scrolls III: Morrowind and it is still one of the best RPG's I've ever played... along with Oblivion and Skyrim. So, when I saw that they're adding it to their online game I was really interested.

I guess I'll avoid it if it's really into ''pay to win'' sort of thing. I don't mind in-game microtransactions as long as they don't basically force you to pay to be able to progress the game normally.
Yeah it's not that great. The feeling of the Elder Scrolls games just isn't there. Just a bunch of people running around from one quest to another. It's basically: go to this place, get the item, get back to me. Done? Go help my friend in this area. And you do that for a while and it gets tiring, since you won't be immersed with the world that they created. It just feels so empty, and I'd rather just play another round of Skyrim rather than play the online one; pay $50 for an expansion, then pay even more for virtual currency so I can get stuff like more inventory space. Yes, you'll be struggling with inventory space and bank space (like your private stash) if you don't have a membership with a monthly fee.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
Yeah it's not that great. The feeling of the Elder Scrolls games just isn't there. Just a bunch of people running around from one quest to another. It's basically: go to this place, get the item, get back to me. Done? Go help my friend in this area. And you do that for a while and it gets tiring, since you won't be immersed with the world that they created. It just feels so empty, and I'd rather just play another round of Skyrim rather than play the online one; pay $50 for an expansion, then pay even more for virtual currency so I can get stuff like more inventory space. Yes, you'll be struggling with inventory space and bank space (like your private stash) if you don't have a membership with a monthly fee.
Well I personally think the game is awesome! If your going to play the game like a regular mmorpg then yeah it sucks. But if you play the game like Skyrim with multiplayer, then you're going to have a lot of fun. I have made so many down to earth friends in ESO that its not even funny. The players have a totally different mindset then every other mmorpg. I can count on one hand how many toxic players that I met on PC and Playstation combined.

I bought the game two times once on PC and once on PS4 and I am level 244 champion points on PC and level 288 champion points on Playstation. And my honest opinion is the Playstation is the way to go there are way more people playing on Playstation then there are on PC. The only downside of the Playstation is the economy sucks because there are so many players that the price of items is a lot lower than PC.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Well I personally think the game is awesome! If your going to play the game like a regular mmorpg then yeah it sucks. But if you play the game like Skyrim with multiplayer, then you're going to have a lot of fun. I have made so many down to earth friends in ESO that its not even funny. The players have a totally different mindset then every other mmorpg. I can count on one hand how many toxic players that I met on PC and Playstation combined.

I bought the game two times once on PC and once on PS4 and I am level 244 champion points on PC and level 288 champion points on Playstation. And my honest opinion is the Playstation is the way to go there are way more people playing on Playstation then there are on PC. The only downside of the Playstation is the economy sucks because there are so many players that the price of items is a lot lower than PC.
The community is great. I've heard stories of high level players going to the starting area to help newbies craft their gear. That's not why I hate the game. There's just a lot of payments you have to make in order to play the game, and the DLC even costs over $50. One DLC. Then the subscription every month, extra costumes and skins, pets and companions, extra horses; they're just milking players everything they're worth with all these payments - not just one time payments - but a monthly thing to boot.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
The community is great. I've heard stories of high level players going to the starting area to help newbies craft their gear. That's not why I hate the game. There's just a lot of payments you have to make in order to play the game, and the DLC even costs over $50. One DLC. Then the subscription every month, extra costumes and skins, pets and companions, extra horses; they're just milking players everything they're worth with all these payments - not just one time payments - but a monthly thing to boot.
Well I agree and I disagree. The only thing you really need to buy is Morrowind.. There's not a whole lot to the DLC, how ever like yo said you can get in it a $50 bundle or buy the subscription for $15 a month and get it that way too. And the sub offers 10% bonus to exp, crafting exp, gold, reserch timer reducer, crafting back to store your crafting supplies, (which its endless by the way) double bank space and more room for housing items when you buy a house. The rest of the stuff is optional, but they do kind of make you feel left out if you don't buy it. Because you see all of your friends running around with the new stuff.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Well I agree and I disagree. The only thing you really need to buy is Morrowind.. There's not a whole lot to the DLC, how ever like yo said you can get in it a $50 bundle or buy the subscription for $15 a month and get it that way too. And the sub offers 10% bonus to exp, crafting exp, gold, reserch timer reducer, crafting back to store your crafting supplies, (which its endless by the way) double bank space and more room for housing items when you buy a house. The rest of the stuff is optional, but they do kind of make you feel left out if you don't buy it. Because you see all of your friends running around with the new stuff.
That's the thing though. Everyone should have an equal rate of leveling. The idea behind MMORPGs is that you and your friends go on an adventure where you work on your characters, since there's no load/save scumming or no cheat codes to help you level up faster. It's a main component of the genre. You grind it out so you can brag about your character. It's all about hard work. Bonus exp % and making certain items weightless while having more storage space to boot, all for a subscription where you pay the game monthly, isn't really "hard work" since you're getting an easier time compared to the people who only bought the game and didn't get the "optional but your life in this game would totally be a lot easier" subscription.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
That's the thing though. Everyone should have an equal rate of leveling. The idea behind MMORPGs is that you and your friends go on an adventure where you work on your characters, since there's no load/save scumming or no cheat codes to help you level up faster. It's a main component of the genre. You grind it out so you can brag about your character. It's all about hard work. Bonus exp % and making certain items weightless while having more storage space to boot, all for a subscription where you pay the game monthly, isn't really "hard work" since you're getting an easier time compared to the people who only bought the game and didn't get the "optional but your life in this game would totally be a lot easier" subscription.
Yes it does give you a advantage if you sub to the game. But honestly your hardly going to notice any difference besides the extra bank space and the craft bag. The exp and gold bonus is hardly noticeable and If you max out your regular bank space you will have 240 slots for the bank. And why that's not enough room to store every single craft material for every level. You do end up with enough storage to store all of the important crafting materials for your level.

I also want to point out at least on PS4 people will tell you how to make money and or even give you gold in the game. It's a totally different environment and player mindset in ESO. People want to be your friend in that game so its really easy to make friends and find good guilds and I did say guilds because you can have 5 of them at a time. So in the end its a really good game if you can get past the $50 DLC fee and not worry about what everyone is buying on the in game store. :smile:

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
Hi, sorry about changing the subject a bit if the game is bad or not, but can someone tell me what is this bear companion all about? I just saw the trailer of The Elder Scroll Online: Morrowind, and i'm not sure if someone can cast a bear and fight besides you, or actually a race of bears? (probably not the last one)

maxresdefault.jpg

kgord

Reaction score
I have never heard of this game, but I have to say just the title seems interesting. I think it might be something that would actually appeal to me. I like some of that fanciful old school stuff.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
Hi, sorry about changing the subject a bit if the game is bad or not, but can someone tell me what is this bear companion all about? I just saw the trailer of The Elder Scroll Online: Morrowind, and i'm not sure if someone can cast a bear and fight besides you, or actually a race of bears? (probably not the last one)

maxresdefault.jpg
Its a pet for the new Warden class. the bear pet is pretty tough and can take a lot of damage, plus the warden can heal it. The warden is a utility class. It can heal, dps, and buff other classes. I have a champion 288 warden in full gold gear. Its a lot of fun and very easy to play. If you never played the game before it would be a great starting class.

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
Its a pet for the new Warden class. the bear pet is pretty tough and can take a lot of damage, plus the warden can heal it. The warden is a utility class. It can heal, dps, and buff other classes. I have a champion 288 warden in full gold gear. Its a lot of fun and very easy to play. If you never played the game before it would be a great starting class.

Ohh that's what it does! Thank you! I don't actually have the game, but i love so much the Elder Scrolls games that i'm considering. The bear made me think twice whether or not i should buy the game.