• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Kicking a member

WarVet

Reaction score
When you have a clan it's normal to have differences as long as you cooperate with each other. Having a clan can sometimes fun but disappointment too. Because of the differences, some members don't cooperate just like doing their own way of playing. It is one of the reasons why a member could be kicked. I know it because I am once kicked lol. Once you join the clan you should obey and cooperate because you shouldn't join them in the first place. You also accept that any moment you can kick so that it's not painful when it happens.

Happens a lot in large clans. That's why I have always favored small clans over big ones. Quality over quantity. It's not like you can't make a big clan successful and there are plenty of example in the gaming community. Still the bigger the clan the harder it is to help everyone and unless you have a very good structure you might end up with lots of inactive members

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
I’m not the one that kicks them out but when the leader does do it I’m generally relief because they only do it when they are truly disrespectful with other members and I don’t appreciate that at all.

WarVet

Reaction score
I’m not the one that kicks them out but when the leader does do it I’m generally relief because they only do it when they are truly disrespectful with other members and I don’t appreciate that at all.
I have to admit that it is not one of the most pleasant things to do. But being a leader is hardly about doing only pleasant things. The well being of the clam as a whole has to be place above the individual.

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
I have to admit that it is not one of the most pleasant things to do. But being a leader is hardly about doing only pleasant things. The well being of the clam as a whole has to be place above the individual.
You are right! I agree with you on this. Also, because the idea of the clan is to share and game with good quality people and to have fun in general, with people that are able to relate to you. Not to get into awful/ annoying discussions with some uneducated and rude idiot that eventually will ruin the fun!

WarVet

Reaction score
You are right! I agree with you on this. Also, because the idea of the clan is to share and game with good quality people and to have fun in general, with people that are able to relate to you. Not to get into awful/ annoying discussions with some uneducated and rude idiot that eventually will ruin the fun!

Indeed. That is why I stay away from leadership positions in games. Leadership implies responsibility no matter how small the position. And when I game I am usually only looking for fun, not duty. I have taken such positions before and I have to say they are hardly worth the effort. It's best to leave responsibilities out of the fun activities.

Bayoneutra

Reaction score
Indeed. That is why I stay away from leadership positions in games. Leadership implies responsibility no matter how small the position. And when I game I am usually only looking for fun, not duty. I have taken such positions before and I have to say they are hardly worth the effort. It's best to leave responsibilities out of the fun activities.

I agree with you and that's the key issue here. I run away from leadership positions because I assume enough of that in RL, so I'd rather leave that part to people that actually enjoy it, and if you take a leadership position you have to be ready to do the pleasant and unpleasant. Your duty is to keep the clan balanced and productive, and if you are not very exclusive with who you pick, you're gonna end up with problematic individuals that you'll have to get rid of eventually, even if it isn't pleasant.

That said, I've heard horror stories of clan leaders that kick out anyone who disagrees with them or for issues that are minor and unrelated to the clan, which is kind of super shitty too. Thankfully I've never had these issues since I only play with friends.

WarVet

Reaction score
I agree with you and that's the key issue here. I run away from leadership positions because I assume enough of that in RL, so I'd rather leave that part to people that actually enjoy it, and if you take a leadership position you have to be ready to do the pleasant and unpleasant. Your duty is to keep the clan balanced and productive, and if you are not very exclusive with who you pick, you're gonna end up with problematic individuals that you'll have to get rid of eventually, even if it isn't pleasant.

That said, I've heard horror stories of clan leaders that kick out anyone who disagrees with them or for issues that are minor and unrelated to the clan, which is kind of super shitty too. Thankfully I've never had these issues since I only play with friends.
Yeah well we have good and bad everywhere. If a real leader can be a tyrant so can a virtual one. That is why i prefer to leave the burden of leadership out of this. If i am going to face responsabilities, duties and of course criticism as well i might as well be compensated for my time (wages).

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score

I also think they are hardly worth the effort because everyone see the bad you do but they don't see all the effort you put into it! You even stop doing your personal stuffs just to run the place and keep everything together. It's hard work but someone has to do it. Good things there's a lot of people who like leading positions...

kgord

Reaction score
It is hard to be a leader in real life or the gaming world. It seems like at times leaders put alot into a situation and people don't recognize their efforts. I think that it is important to be fair and equitable as a leader and allow your reputation to speak for itself whether it is in the gaming world or the real world.

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
It is hard to be a leader in real life or the gaming world. It seems like at times leaders put alot into a situation and people don't recognize their efforts. I think that it is important to be fair and equitable as a leader and allow your reputation to speak for itself whether it is in the gaming world or the real world.
I agree but I think is hardest to be a leader in the real world because if a person disrespect you, you can't just kick them out the room! you have to deal with the situation person to person and that's one of the hardest things to do. So I'll say it's easier to be a leader in the gaming world.

kgord

Reaction score
I agree but I think is hardest to be a leader in the real world because if a person disrespect you, you can't just kick them out the room! you have to deal with the situation person to person and that's one of the hardest things to do. So I'll say it's easier to be a leader in the gaming world.
Yes, it is not like you have to see the person face to face, and if you don't want to deal with them you don't have to. I would say that working with people in the gaming world or being a leader there is likely easier too!

WarVet

Reaction score
I also think they are hardly worth the effort because everyone see the bad you do but they don't see all the effort you put into it! You even stop doing your personal stuffs just to run the place and keep everything together. It's hard work but someone has to do it. Good things there's a lot of people who like leading positions...
Yeah just like in a real life leadership position. People tend to overlook the hardships that making a decision that can possibly alter the lives of many (Well virtual lives anyway) and only focus on the bad side of things. You said it yourself it's better to leave it for those who are willing. I prefer to only take such positions when I know there will be compensations involved. In other words, if I am taking the burden I might as well be paid to do it.

James Arthur

Reaction score
I often had to kick members because of people starting tension with others and as I good leader I had to choose what was best for my group so I choose some people to get rid of for the good of the group

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
I had to kick a guy out of my clan (not the one I am in now) because he left his mic open and everyone in the game server heard him cussing and beating his kids. We just couldn't talk to him after that. This was almost 10 years ago. We never even told him why, just kind of let him go. I hope his kids are all right and if not I hope they kick his butt today.
Wow that is disturbing. People usually kick other for game reasons, but it looks like the gaming community is open to apply some sort of justice towards other people's lives. "You beat your kids, you might not go to jail, but you will be punished in a thing you enjoy doing." Cheers for the attitude! :smile:

Pink_Turtle

Reaction score
Yeah just like in a real life leadership position. People tend to overlook the hardships that making a decision that can possibly alter the lives of many (Well virtual lives anyway) and only focus on the bad side of things. You said it yourself it's better to leave it for those who are willing. I prefer to only take such positions when I know there will be compensations involved. In other words, if I am taking the burden I might as well be paid to do it.
Exactly! I agree. If there's going to be a paid -somehow- I'll do it. Otherwise I guess someone else is going to enejoy it more than me.

ballyhara

Reaction score
I've never had to kick a member out, or been kicked out. Unfortunately, usually that happens when a member is kind of playing solo instead of following the rules, and so far I've been able to handle the clan. Also, another bad part is that usually the one that has been kicked out, starts making bad comments on the clan, so popularity or reputation can decrease. Anyway, if you are not going to follow the rules, then why did you join the clan?

WarVet

Reaction score
Exactly! I agree. If there's going to be a paid -somehow- I'll do it. Otherwise, I guess someone else is going to enjoy it more than me.

I have seen cases where the clan or families leaders did get some compensation sometimes IG and sometimes IRL as well. But I guess those are exceptions. Also, it is extremely difficult for someone to rule alone and most of the times the leader had supporters that helped him keep things in check who of course were not paid for their work.