• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Light or Dark Themes ?

Stealth

Reaction score
I actually like both for some reason.

Demon_skeith

Reaction score
As a forum admin, I offer both for my members since I know everyone is different. I personally only like to use dark skins, easier on the eyes.

overcast

Reaction score
I used to prefer the Dark themes. But now I have specs and I can't view the dark theme for long. In case of the White theme, I dont have to stress my eyes much. And this means such themes can be good for the eyes. So my personal preference would be light themes or the white type of the themes if possible.

Empire

Reaction score
I don't mine both to be honest. Dark for night time in an dark room so it doesn't hart the eyes and the light in the day. Running an website it's good to have both so that members can pick since there are allot who doesn't like dark or light or know.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I think every good website or forum should have a few available options from each side - so some lighter and some darker versions because we're humans and we naturally prefer different things.

I tend to like darker themes more than lighter. The reason is quite simple - my eyes. I'm already half blind as it is and had some eye problems in the past so my vision isn't amazing. I feel like if I look at the bright screen with a white background that my eyes strain even more and tire out faster than if I use dark themes. Perhaps it's just me but I hate it if my eyes feel tired.

Robbie626

Reaction score
Both light and dark themes are both amazing in my perspective and experience using forums. Light themes are preferred in more business, formal, and service niches. Dark themes are usually preferred for gaming and general discussion niches. The best solutions are to provide options for a light and dark version of the theme to fit your user's personal preferences.

nickdamon

Reaction score
I tend to sway towards darker themes if it's an option due to it being easier on my eyes. However, a lot of them tend to just be... near total blackness with nothing really to them, which usually makes them not look to great.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I prefer dark themes. It's easier for my eyes, and I feel like I could focus more with a black background. White is alright too but I think it's quite overused these days so it feels a but generic now. Whenever I get an option to switch a website to a darker color, I keep doing so because for some reason it makes me feel a bit less sleepy.

Linen

Reaction score
"Light" themes are usually bright white or very close to it, and I find those give me a bit of a headache after a while. Given the option I will almost always take a darker theme over a light one.

Of course, a lot of this depends on the website too. A light theme can work just fine when the UI of the website or application itself's built well.

valy

Reaction score
Well, Toxique i think this depends on the mood i have, but i would probably say that i like the light themes, but sometimes i do use the dark ones as well to provide some of my designs in two versions.

Ash

Reaction score
I've always been a dark theme person myself, I'm not sure why. Although I do like a few light themes but the majority that are completely light and just look way too bright are a massive no-no for me. For example, this theme used at Game Rebels is perfect. It is a mixture between a dark and light theme and for me it is a great looking theme. The theme that you choose sometimes also depends on the niche really. A gaming forum/website could use both a dark or light theme but a promotion forum would really have to go with something lighter. Dark themes on a promotion forum are really rare.

Sino989

Reaction score
I agree with pretty much on this post. I prefer light as well because it just makes it look more appealing to the eye

WarVet

Reaction score
While I have to say I prefer dark themes all the way, it depends on the content also. I plan on launching a blog about spirituality soon and I'm not planning on making it pitch black for obvious reasons. Now if we're talking about a dark magick site black might just fit the mood :) Jokes aside I believe the content should match the theme up to a certain point of course.

zeedollar

Reaction score
Light themes are always better except when it is a movie focused design. with a white theme, the text stands out and you feel more comfortable browsing the site. I really love this theme on gamerebels.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Dark themes are easier on the eyes, but light ones can be way more lively if well made. I've preferred the former for quite a long time, but I've recently started to notice how much more memorable the latter have been for me. It must also be the fact that the range of colors you get with light themes is broader than dark themes'; plus, getting access to lighter shades makes for nicer contrast.
Still...light themes are easy to mess up. Good lord, they just pierce through my retinas.

Referal

Reaction score
I always light themes it really depends on what community or the niche too if it's like Crypto forums then I prefer something golden dark or mix of colors. if something like general or gaming forum something like the theme should be light blue or even grey it doesn't matter as it should match the community being apart of most gaming sites like a mix of Blue or Dark theme or multicolor which fine too.