• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Malicious spam app discovered in App Store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzed

Reaction score
find_and_call.jpeg

Apple has had a fairly spotless record thus far regarding iOS security. There hasn’t been a single serious breach, or malware outbreak — aside from what jailbreak hackers have uncovered, of course.

But it looks like the perfect streak has finally come to an end. A Russian security firm announced this morning that it has discovered a malicious spam [aka a Trojan] application in the App Store…

Kaspersky Lab‘s Denis Maslennikov:
Yesterday we were contacted by our partner MegaFon, one of the major mobile carriers in Russia. They notified us about a suspicious application, which was found in both the Apple App Store and Google Play. At first glance, this seemed to be an SMS worm spread via sending short messages to all contacts stored in the phone book with the URL to itself.

However, our analysis of the iOS and Android versions of the same application showed that it’s not an SMS worm but a Trojan that uploads a user’s phonebook to remote server. The ‘replication’ part is done by the server – SMS spam messages with the URL to the application are being sent from the remote server to all the contacts in the user’s address book.
The app, which is called Find and Call, appears to have already been pulled by Apple. But the fact that it made it into the App Store in the first place is still scary.

Apple has always been praised for its ability to keep apps like this out of the App Store. It’s part of the reason that everyone is so tolerant of its strict policies.

It’ll be interesting to see what, if anything, Apple has to say about this.
Source

Zahreah

Reaction score
The App Is Called 'Find And Call'.
Seems Legit.

Anthony

Reaction score
Voi said:
The App Is Called 'Find And Call'.
Seems Legit.

I thought that to but its very worrying the fact it got onto the marketplace (App store)

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
Not even apple can detect everything.

Stealth

Reaction score
I'm sure there's more than just 1 of these apps, I mean think abut how many hackers would want to do this. I'm sure more than just 1 has slipped by

Motion

Reaction score
Yeah, probably loads out there not found yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.