• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Minecraft Story Mode

kittyworker

Reaction score
minecraft_storymode_logo.png

Have you guys heard that mojang and telltale have teamed up to develop Minecraft: Story Mode Edition?

I thought this following bullet point (from mojang site link below) was very interesting:
"Minecraft: Story Mode will be released episodically, just like The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, or the recent Tales from the Borderlands, which is another developer-collaboration series between Telltale Games and Gearbox Software"

For myself I feel it is too eariler to say "OMG Yes" although I am very interested to how it developed. I have a bit of feeling they are doing this to milk some cash however.

What are your thoughts on this?

For more information:
https://mojang.com/announcing-minecraft-story-mode/
http://www.telltalegames.com/minecraftstorymode/

Shimus

Reaction score
It's TellTale Games. And MineCraft. I don't see any way this could fail since MineCraft and Steve never really had a good story to begin with, and I totally love the way TellTale narrates/plays through their games. I can see why they've won GOTY on Walking Dead. I can't wait to see if they can transform MineCraft even further!

xcredence

Reaction score
Wow, really? That sounds so odd. Like Shimus said above if it wasn't TellTale games I would be worried a little bit. TellTale Games can pull it off though, they're amazing at storytelling and I'm pretty sure they could turn Minecraft into an epic story! I've been meaning to play the Wolf Among Us, but I haven't been able to snag it at a good price yet.

ProNine

Reaction score
I am looking forward to this. I am just wondering what kind of story TellTale will actually pull of with Minecraft. If the developers decide to add more objects and such, the concept may be ruined.

DomTheCon

Reaction score
A story could certainly add some new fascinating background and lore to the base game. It will also be interesting to see how this implementation of the game will turn out as much of the popularity behind Minecraft is its free-form that allows for all sorts of creativity. Although given the immense popularity of the franchise, I predict that a great deal of effort will be put into this and it will likely be quite successful. Can't wait to see the final release of this!

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
Youtube video:

Weird. Hard to believe Minecraft can even have a story mode o_O

MomMama

Reaction score
Did you see the casting?
From the telltale blog:
The season will feature Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, Ashley Johnson, Scott Porter, Martha Plimpton, Dave Fennoy, Corey Feldman, Billy West, and Paul Reubens. Look for further casting details to come!

My mind is kind of blown because it's a totally different game than Minecraft. It's hard to relate the two. Still, it looks like it will be a lot of fun and I look forward to it. I can't imagine it being anything but a success with the popularity both Minecraft and Telltale games.

Guardian

Reaction score
Very interesting. I will probably be disappointed in it, but I am sure I will end up trying it. :p

nisskrystal1982

Reaction score
Personally, this is something I have been waiting for. I don't mind playing Minecraft but it bored me with the fact there wasn't really a story or plot. When I get a chance at some point, I plan on trying it out. I see it is available for iPad, so that is probably where I will check it out at when I feel I have the spare money to spend.
I am afraid it will be disappointing, though. I know that Telltale did great with the Walking Dead, but I fear this may not be as great.

utneqo7d

Reaction score
If seen a few videos, it's really cool but I'll never buy it myself as only a story mode is never as unlimited as minecraft is. It seems like people like the idea but we all feel we're gonna be disappointed though I'm sure some people are really hyped with this.

ProNine

Reaction score
This post is somewhat old but I'm just going to reply. The game is now released and it is indeed different to what we are used to. The only similarity between it and Minecraft is that it borrowed its theme. Many people may consider it not worth the money which is why I will say, if you download "Technic Launcher", a widely known modpack installer, there has been a modpack made for the Story Mode which can be download for free.

overcast

Reaction score
I think there are plenty of story modes released in 2017. And there is no shortage of servers running such mods. It can be fun to play in that mode. But if you have friends to play with you then instead of story mode, you can go on your own playing into multiplayer mode. I have found that it works just fine this way.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Fast forward to 2017 and I've played it two months ago and yes it was amazing. As most Telltale games I suppose, the story is fun and something I've always hoped Minecraft would have. I'm really hoping there would be a season 2, I think it's one of the best things that Telltale has ever done. The story was filled with humor as what I expected from a Minecraft-themed game, but surprisingly there's also a lot of action. Worth every single penny and time I've spent on the game.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
It's a different game and seeing the gameplay screenshots were enough to have not interested. I'm more into the survival and open world aspect for the game but I don't see it being bad to implement or make a story in the Minecraft universe especially if it turns out to be an official lore or story for the actual game. It has a strong appeal to children though I think.

pichugirl

Reaction score
I believe this is a mistake, this ruins what makes the game successful in the begining: The chance to get your own story and adventure. Many people probably enjoy it, but what i've seen isn't very promising.

alexanderzx360

Reaction score
I've recently bought the Minecraft Story Mode and the Adventure Pass (eight episodes in total) since I'm a big fan of Telltale Games and I read some good reviews about it (I got it in the last Humble Bundle). I played the first episode and I pretty much liked the story, if you're into the Minecraft lore I'd say it's even a must have, since it explores it in ways that the original game couldn't.

Cheers!

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I have yet to play Minecraft Story mode. I have heard people say its pretty good. But I LOVE to use my imagination when I play Minecraft and I dont want to get any predefined course in my head when I play. Because it could ruin my overall experience.

Referal

Reaction score
Story Modes are the best like they are lit I don't why But it makes Minecraft more interesting compared too when it just single player mode which is the normal minecraft