• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

NES Classic Hype- Where did it go?

AdamJenaine

Reaction score
Everyone should remember the new Super Nintendo, right? It hit the market, going into massive retail markets, (In batches of 150, I think) Which sold out quite quickly. There was a HUGE hype for it... but where did it go? I thought people were over their heads waiting for the next time to buy this guy!

Anyways, Where did the hype go? It's dead now... I'm still hyped, and ready to get my hands on it.

mistakenichi

Reaction score
I remember when I wrote my Santa's letter wishing for a NES and the 25 I found it under my bed. Very excited back then. When I was visiting my mother some years ago I noticed my little brother had a controller directly connected to the TV through RCA connections. It was a NES, with almost 20 games (9999 combinations of the actual games). I get really impressed because I was remembering the high price of each one...

Well, the thing is that I've installed a NES emulator on the cellphone and I'm still playing Mario 2 nowadays, even when I have access to PS3 and PS4 sometimes.

I'm still hyped.

lindbergh

Reaction score
Everyone should remember the new Super Nintendo, right? It hit the market, going into massive retail markets, (In batches of 150, I think) Which sold out quite quickly. There was a HUGE hype for it... but where did it go? I thought people were over their heads waiting for the next time to buy this guy!

Anyways, Where did the hype go? It's dead now... I'm still hyped, and ready to get my hands on it.
Hey, just a correction, it's not a remake of the Super Nintendo. It's a remake of the classic Nintendo Entertainment System. I don't know if there still is hype for the system. They're selling it for 60 bucks but you can just really download an emulator for free along with its ROMs and play the classic NES games on your mobile device or PC. Nintendo has a way of hyping up people during the initial release of a product and losing momentum in the long run.

They're still selling the system, but I think that the demand for it has decreased. It's just like dishing 60 dollars to buy an emulator. Lol.

AndrewG

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the issue isn't a matter of hype dying, rather Nintendo just stopped making them. From what I know, they were only supposed to be a limited run item, but made way less of them then people expected. In my area, they sold out with in days of putting them up, and now the only way to buy one of these things is by paying multitudes more for them on eBay. Hopefully the SNES classic doesn't have the same issues, but it does seem worrying as the only pre-orders I've seen sold out immediately.

Denis_P

Reaction score
The hype died when many people realized that these cash grabs were poorly designed devices meant to cash in on people's nostalgia. They were overpriced and intentionally under-stocked in order to stoke the flames of internet hype, and people eventually caught on to what Nintendo were doing.

Most people that came to these realizations found that they were far better off just buying games on Nintendo's virtual console. I don't mean to hate on either the NES or SNES classic (heck, the SNES is my all time favorite console) but Nintendo's greedy marketing strategies and poor design choices ruined a possible gem.