• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Opinions on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

Reaction score
What do you think about Steam? In my opinion, I think it was the best thing ever and a huge advantages for people who don't have the disk thing. I also love it because of the range of free games they have.

Jack

Founding Member
Reaction score
Steam was the greatest thing ever to happen to PC Gaming! I absolutely love steam and cannot wait for the Steam Box.

Patrick

Reaction score
They've got some of the worst support I've ever been cursed to deal with.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
I'm a big fan. It has allowed me to acquire so many of the games that I have wanted over the years, and it is overall just an amazing platform

Thomasss

Reaction score
It's probably the best thing to ever hit the internet, other than YouTube. It truly changed the online gaming world, and it's amazing. I love that everything in centralized and what not, makes it easier to just go in, buy a game, and hit play.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
It's probably the best thing to ever hit the internet, other than YouTube. It truly changed the online gaming world, and it's amazing. I love that everything in centralized and what not, makes it easier to just go in, buy a game, and hit play.
Exactly! It set the precedence for online gaming as a whole

halcyon220

Reaction score
Although Steam itself is a great piece in gaming history, the software itself is...crap. It barely works! It's poorly coded and although one of the major updates helped, it's still a botch job - Not to mention how bad the support is. But I love the deals and the integration with all the games. So I think Steam is a decent piece of software.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
Although Steam itself is a great piece in gaming history, the software itself is...crap. It barely works! It's poorly coded and although one of the major updates helped, it's still a botch job - Not to mention how bad the support is. But I love the deals and the integration with all the games. So I think Steam is a decent piece of software.
What part of the software is crap? I have never experienced any technical downfalls that would make me consider it a "botch job"

Guardian

Reaction score
I just like being able to keep track of all of my games in one place. I resisted using it for the longest time, but once I used it for more than one game, I wish I had started using it years ago.

SharaElyse

Reaction score
I love Steam! It's a great platform, it's actually what got me into pc/online gaming. The deals are great and receiving emails when your wishlist items go on sale is pretty neat too. I wish more indie games would take advantage of Steam, they'd get a lot of exposure!

JoshSucksAtGames

Reaction score
What's even the point of this thread? To jerk-off steam? You know most people are gonna say Steam is okay. It's a game store that does it's job well. What else is there to say? Hell, even the people who have had problems with steam will still be like "it's ight".

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
What's even the point of this thread? To jerk-off steam? You know most people are gonna say Steam is okay. It's a game store that does it's job well. What else is there to say? Hell, even the people who have had problems with steam will still be like "it's ight".
I don't feel this is a steam jerk-off thread. I think that the original author had the intention of voicing his/her opinion that Steam was great, and was looking for some other members' opinions. Yes, steam has been very widely praised in this thread, but if you have problems with it then this is a great thread to post them in. I'm sure people would listen to steam hate, provided evidence of course.

I know of people who are vehemently against steam, so I can't say that I agree with your point about everyone liking it no matter what. However, you do make a good point that it does its job extremely well. I think that simply comes from the fact that it is such a long-standing contender in the market space :)

JoshSucksAtGames

Reaction score
I don't feel this is a steam jerk-off thread. I think that the original author had the intention of voicing his/her opinion that Steam was great, and was looking for some other members' opinions. Yes, steam has been very widely praised in this thread, but if you have problems with it then this is a great thread to post them in. I'm sure people would listen to steam hate, provided evidence of course.

I know of people who are vehemently against steam, so I can't say that I agree with your point about everyone liking it no matter what. However, you do make a good point that it does its job extremely well. I think that simply comes from the fact that it is such a long-standing contender in the market space :)

I fucked up by making a mass generalization. Obviously, not everyone likes steam, but I'm still gonna stick by my post. Steam isn't the #1 PC gaming store because people dislike it. It's because a majority of people like it. So, most of this thread is going to be praise... that's why I think this thread is bound to be a little jerky.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
True true, and I agree this thread is probably inevitably a circlejerk because steam is so popular :p

Kaitara

Reaction score
Steam's great. It's like Google and Netflix - something pioneering that gives people what they really want for a good price. Thankfully, I've never had to deal with Steam customer service before, so I don't currently have a single bad thing to say about Steam! PC gaming would be a much sadder affair if Steam wasn't around to be an all-encompassing pivot-point.

Squigly

Reaction score
I think it's pretty widely known by now that Steam had some major problems on Christmas day. Many people had their account details and credit card info compromised due to a server error, with players logging in to other people's accounts instead of their own and being able to see all their account information. Such a breach of privacy and trust has certainly shaken the trust of people in Steam.

Liselle

Reaction score
I love it because it's really easy to access and you can have your entire gaming library there. I used to have a collection of physical game copies but some of it is scattered around my house. Steam also have a lot of sales for popular games from time to time. I do like Steam a lot because of how organized it is, but I still prefer a hard copy of a game if I can.

Maelalove

Reaction score
I personally also adore steam. I'm not going to lie, years ago I rejected it. I thought it was stupid, I didn't like the way it worked at all, and I gave up on it entirely. But I met some new friends a little over a year ago who wanted to play games and I ended up having to get steam for the convenience. Now I love it! I think it's great for storing all my PC games, and I love to discover new ones from Steam as well. I'm glad I gave it another chance.

Adel.S

Reaction score
I like it very much. It's easy to acquire new games, make friends, see gaming news, and discuss things related to gaming or anything in general. Also, the sales that they frequently do is one of the main reasons that I love steam. I got half of my games for a couple of dollars thanks to the 60% and 85% discounts. I hope that it gets better and better as times goes by.

nytegeek

Reaction score
Steam is okay I guess. They support a lot of independent game developers. I don't like having to wade through all the bad stuff on Steam to find something decent though.

Status
Not open for further replies.