• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Play a Cop In GTA?

TheViper

Reaction score
How would you guys feel about playing as a cop in the next Grand Theft Auto? I think it could be a good change of pace in the franchise. Though, I can also see why it could hurt what the whole series is about. What do you guys think about playing as a cop in GTA?

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
I reckon it'd be pretty cool, but just an average cop would be quite different, maybe a corrupt cop who makes deals with gangs etc, then has to go undercover? I don't know, it'd be pretty cool though.

Scarsz

Reaction score
maybe a corrupt cop who makes deals with gangs etc, then has to go undercover?
Give Franklin a job at the LSPD and you have a $60 DLC right there, R*

Anywho, the mod for playing as a cop on GTA IV was a pretty big success so that'd be sick as hell if they put some sort of thing like that when they release the PC version, among other things like 1st person view, vastly improved graphics, etc

Jack

Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah @Scarsz it was called LCPDFR. I play GTA SA:MP which have roleplay servers and you get to join the police department and it's serious roleplay. I love it.

RadialPerson

Reaction score
I think it would be better to have a system similar to GTA V, different characters than you can play as. For example you could be a cop or a gangster who cross paths throughout the game and build a rivalry of some kind before circumstances force you two to work together. The different dynamics of being a cop would be very fun, being able to arrest people and doing drug busts would add a great new element to the GTA franchise.

mauricioq

Reaction score
I've already thought about that possibility too, it would be pretty cool in my opinion. As others have said, it could be a DLC for the V, I would definitely pay for that! hahaha

Max

Reaction score
I think a good police game in general would be excellent whether on the Rockstar platform or not. There's a relatively large community of people looking for something of that sort.

Thomas Hall

Reaction score
If we get to play as a cop, should have a good storyline maybe that the cop appears to be a bad guy in early part of the story of the game. They could make it, when playing halfway through the game we find out the cops is a good guy taking on the bad guys or corrupt cops in the force. Rockstar could make it, that you may have to make some moral choices which can change the game outcome like the previous ones did and you got a good ending or bad one depending on what you did. There could be two sides to the story, play as the cop and than as the gangster and see how that ends would be amazing if it happens that way.

Luke Martin

Reaction score
I don't know. It's an intresting idea. Like you said it could really damage the series, but it could also give the series a new feeling. I think the story would have to be top notch to pull of a cop story in a game called Grand Theft Auto.

GlacialDoom

Reaction score
It would be interesting to see this, but at the same time, it would take a lot of work and resources that would be better put into other good game mechanics.

Issho

Reaction score
As long as they would go out of their way to make said cop interesting to play as. I wouldn't mind it all. For me, I'd think that yeah, the cop in question should be in a grey area, where he is acting based on what he feels like and not a established set of morals. i.e Not always playing the good cop. But neither relying too much in messing things up and make it apparent that he is as corrupt as somebody can get. I feel like there should be a balance. Neither give too much or give too little.

Another thing would be having him go up in power within the police. Get certain things done and get promoted. It could play a role in how many things you could get done. Whether they're corrupt thing, abuse of power, etc. So I agree with the others that it should be entirely based on player choice. It would be fun.

ducklord

Reaction score
Isn't that what, up to a point, what L.A. Noire was about?

Haven't played it (although I _do_ have it, just never got to installing it). Just asking, curious as to what to expect from it (I won't have the time to install it for days, nay, weeks, nay, months to come - work to do, things waiting, so little time).

Onfroi

Reaction score
It would be great, but I agree with The Godfather, to not ruin the franchise, maybe it should be a corrupt cop, that would be a pretty good idea, and totally unexpected from Rockstar, since the only thing they change when they make a new GTA it's usually the setting, San Andreas, Vice City, Liberty City, etc..

P.S. still haven't seen a 3D GTA in London, which it's weird.. maybe that'll be GTA 6

niiro17

Reaction score
That would be cool but Sleeping Dogs has that concept. An undercover cop joining a gang to destroy it inside.

tournique

Reaction score
Would be a pretty interesting concept. A cop themed GTA, but you know, mexican police or something. Drug lords, hermanos and police brutality.

MisterRay97

Reaction score
You can play as a cop in GTA games by getting into a police vehicle, but those vigilante missions get boring and repetitive quickly. If you want something like that story based, Sleeping Dogs, Total Overdose and L.A. Noire are few great games to try out. I think GTA is fine with the criminal background its protagonists have.

Michael

Reaction score
I would love to do that. Roleplay with one of your friends and as Cartman always said.

respectcartman.jpg

john franklin

Reaction score
It is a good idea to be a policeman in GTA as it would leave a positive impression on kids and gamers. If they will give an option to select a policeman then they would have to change the name to something else rather than Grand Theft Auto.

nickdamon

Reaction score
The idea of being a cop on GTA would be nice, but I have to agree on the point that for the series, you'd most likely have to play a dirty cop. The point of GTA is being on the underside of the law, and anything else I feel like would be out of whack with the series a bit. If anyone here is a fan or is interested in actually policing in games, there's a police simulator game for all platforms in the making, Police 1013, that looks amazing. I'm really excited for it personally. Check it out ya'll.