• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Team Fortress 3 ever happening?

Bremaine

Reaction score
Team Fortress 2 has become a cult classic among gamers and it seems like many are hoping for a sequel. I know a lot of people who want to see a third entry in the series to continue on the success of the second game, especially how crazy cool it still is to this day.

Anyways, with how Valve is going with not releasing any games in three's, for exaple; Left 4 Dead 3, Half Life 3 Or Half Life 2 Episode 3, and so on. Will we be seeing a Team Fortress 3 anytime soon?

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
I doubt there will be a third installment, not anytime soon at least. I just want the day Half-Life 3 is confirmed. Hurry up Valve! We're waiting!

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
There's been rumors that they have teams working on the games right now, no solid proof though
http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-jira-half-life-3-left-4-dead-3/

B54PdwY.jpg

Squigly

Reaction score
But...what's gonna happen to all my hats on tf2? :<

On a serious note I foresee tf2 going strong for many years to come. It has a healthy playerbase and a thriving player economy worth millions of dollars. Not to mention all the continued updates we have seen, with Mann vs Machine, and lately some devious duck-related treachery?!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=318252543&insideModal=1

GET HYPED

Brandon

Admin
Administrator
Premium
Reaction score
Well in the comp community some of the admins of comp have talked to Robin Walker about upgrading tf2 to match make and Walker said they'd do that if it had enough supporters and It does so I think tf2 will be around for awhile because 1) Valve still makes hella bank 2) Comp community is alive. That is what I know of so far

mauricioq

Reaction score
I doubt it will ever happen, because there's been a ton of update to the current one, if anything they'll just keep releasing updates, and that's going to keep happening for a long time because this game has a very solid player base.

Sugarhill

Reaction score
I went out and bought The Orange Box for the 360 on the basis of that game, only to find out that very few people play it on consoles. I was greatly disappointed, but it is weird as I was just thinking about it the other day. I was going to fire it up to see if anyone was still trying to do something with it.

GlacialDoom

Reaction score
I really don't think so. At the moment, Valve is busy getting rich(er) with CS:GO and DOTA 2, so they're letting TF2 in a state of purgatory that I can see continuing for a long time.

Eventually, if they will make a third installment, I hope we'll be able to transfer our items into the new game, and that the new game will have such a thriving trading sub-game.

Luke Martin

Reaction score
As they say, Valve can only count to 2. I think they're just focusing on updating 2 at the moment. Honestly, do we need a third instalment yet? With all the updates that Valve are giving Team Fortress 2, it's like a new game every week!

Moaz13

Reaction score
I hope not. TF2 is perfectly fine, what can a new Team Fortress bring to the table? They'll just keep updating TF2 with new items and maps, it's like Minecraft, the game is perfectly fine and there's no need for a sequel.

tournique

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, valve has problems developing the 3rd part of any series...

Nero

Reaction score
I doubt that there will ever be a TF3. TF2 is being constantly updating and is running well. I think that the game is good enough as is.

tournique

Reaction score
Maybe in 5 years or so, if they ever decide to continue the franchise.

MisterRay97

Reaction score
I don't think so because I don't believe it is a good move to release a new free-to-play game when the previous one is active, alive, and maintained well with updates. Besides, people are happy with TF2. And, Valve has no history of releasing a third part of any game series. I seriously doubt TF3 ever happening.

damowhite666

Reaction score
Probably not... It's a valve games which means they are unable to count to number 3, no left for dead 3, dota 3, half life 3 and no Team Fortress 3 though I'm probably wrong but I imagine they will release a game very similar named something else rather than releasing a third Team Fortress.

Bannon

Reaction score
Valve's inability to count to 3 aside, I don't think that TF2 will ever get a sequel. There's just been too much built on top of it as it is from all the updates of the past few years since going F2P, to the massive lore they've built that underlines the game, to an entire economy which ties into the Steam Community Market sprouting around it. At best, I think Valve will update TF2 to run using Source 2 which would make the game overall run better under-the-hood without fundamentally changing it much. There's also the fact that Valve seems to be putting game development as less of a priority recently and is acting more to manage Steam than actually developing anything.