• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Vintage Systems and Prices

InvadeYourSpace

Reaction score
How much are older systems being valued at? I know you can get a Nintendo for next to nothing at a GameStop, but some of the rarer game titles are going for a decent price. What about Coleco Vision? Has anyone been able to get their hands on one of these, and if so how much did you end up paying for it? I've been reminiscing over old titles like "Burger Time", "Centipede", and "Chuck Norris Superkicks". It would be cool to pick one up and drift back into my childhood.

eatthepeach

Reaction score
omg you just blew my mind with "Burger Time" spent many an afternoon dropping buns and dodging dogs....

only vintage system i've sold in recent years (maybe 4 or 5 years ago) was a Dreamcast, I think I got $100 for it

your post made me want to hook up my NES and bust out some Super Mario 3

Robbie626

Reaction score
omg you just blew my mind with "Burger Time" spent many an afternoon dropping buns and dodging dogs....

only vintage system i've sold in recent years (maybe 4 or 5 years ago) was a Dreamcast, I think I got $100 for it

your post made me want to hook up my NES and bust out some Super Mario 3
How much was a Dreamcast when it first came out? I honestly think it would cost more then $100 then, but depends on the person and you selling it.

AnthonyB

Reaction score
I love it when people sell their collections. That way I can buy them all up and fill the endless pit of regret I feel from selling my own. I had a 16 bit Sega Genesis that my older sister bestowed unto me when she moved out for college. Long story short, I got into a situation where I needed money bad, and ended up having to sell the console along with all the games. I felt like Andy at the end of Toy Story 3. Although, technically, my sister should have felt more like that...

Makef0rt

Reaction score
Old consoles can achieve quite some prices. Honestly, you could find people in Croatia (where I am from) selling it WAY under the prices you might find on eBay. It would actually make a good business, buying here and selling on eBay :D

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
If you mean "vintage" as in arcade games in the 80s, then you're gonna have to pay a lot because they have become some sort of memorabilia to collectors, so you'll have to compete with them. If you're talking about "vintage" as in a Playstation 1 or 2, a GBA, then you can probably get those in a thrift store or an online shop. They're not that rare, and the novelty isn't old enough to be a collectible.

WarVet

Reaction score
There are also lots of emulators available nowadays. I have been an avid user of DOS box myself. Something about vintage games just gets to me. As technology couldn't allow for better graphics and gameplay it seems their focus was on story and humor. Being a story fan in video games it kind of explains it. Who doesn't love good retro humor?

kgord

Reaction score
I think you could get big bucks for a gaming system but like any collectible it would have to be in very good shape to fetch a decent price. It is just one of the things that you need to keep an eye on if you want to sell or trade it. I am sure prices vary. It is important to get the best prices.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
How old is "vintage" exactly? It takes a lot of time for the price of old consoles to go up, because most of them sold an enormous amount of units, so it all comes down to supply and demand. PSX and PS2 are still pretty (relatively) cheap in thrift shops and eBay, and even older consoles like the SNES are accessible. However, getting your hands on more obscure consoles like the Sega Saturn or the Dreamcast might prove to be an arduous (and expensive) task. The same goes for games.

overcast

Reaction score
I think some of the older consoles are expensive on Ebay and Amazon. You can see that prices on ebay or even some garage sales are going to be very high. As you can see that vintage systems are valued based on limited pcs. So based on the old games which are not available now would be something extremely hard to find.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Vintage, second-hand systems would've been worth quite a lot for its nostalgia factor but since I live in a third world country where every mostly cares about the graphics and how latest your console is, it's pretty cheap here. I could find a few in my country's local version of eBay and they've priced around 500 pesos which are around 10 dollars or so. Unless probably this is a rare console like the Dreamcast because not a lot of people owned a Dreamcast here.

surlaw

Reaction score
From what I understand, it's harder and much more costly to purchase the games for vintage systems than it is the systems themselves. Not so much if you're only interested in getting back into bigger titles, but when it comes to more niche games, I have a feeling you'll be paying an arm and a leg for them. You can find some really awesome deals at secondhand shops and thrift stores, though - everyone always skips over the game section, but there are some pretty valuable finds in there.

Yiskah

Reaction score
We really would like ti have a Playstation 2 again but finding one at the price I think is reasonable and works properly is another thing in itself I also would like my kids to experience classic Nintendo also mainly the '64 as it was so great but again its the same situation as the Playstation 2. What are ways you can find them for the best price.