• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What do you do when you have a flamer on your team?

luispas

Reaction score
We all have been in the situation of having a toxic player on our team, and it is the worst :persevere: it's really frustration that someone cannot understand her/his own mistakes, someone who don't allow any errs from anybody. And I also know, that we all been the flamer, don't lie to me :tearsofjoy: or it was just me? :sweatsmile:

I just wanted to ask you, how do you deal with this issue?
I tend to mute them and ignore their attitude, then focus on my game and try to do my best, but sometimes that's really hard to do :weary:​

Gray

Gray
Retired Staff
Reaction score
CSGO wise I just call for a vote to kick them or I just mute them... Other games like COD, I just mute them or roast them back before I mute them.

luispas

Reaction score
CSGO wise I just call for a vote to kick them or I just mute them... Other games like COD, I just mute them or roast them back before I mute them.
And that's the best option we all can make. There's no reason to fight with your teammates.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I honestly hate flamers. They ruin the fun for everybody in their team. They literally make you play worse, commit more errors and take your focus away from your lane. That is why, like Gray said, the best option is to mute them.

League of Legends game sadly force you to play with such people - you can't kick them mid-game nor can you leave your game yourself without getting banned.
So I mute and try to completely ignore that person altogether. I even tell them ''XY, I will not mute you because you are flaming. Please use pings to communicate with me if needed.''

Typing to them or trying to make them stop flaming is just a waste of time.

WarVet

Reaction score
I honestly hate flamers. They ruin the fun for everybody in their team. They literally make you play worse, commit more errors and take your focus away from your lane. That is why, like Gray said, the best option is to mute them.

League of Legends game sadly force you to play with such people - you can't kick them mid-game nor can you leave your game yourself without getting banned.
So I mute and try to completely ignore that person altogether. I even tell them ''XY, I will not mute you because you are flaming. Please use pings to communicate with me if needed.''

Typing to them or trying to make them stop flaming is just a waste of time.

Ever hear the old saying "Don't feed the troll?" These people are only in it for the attention and the more attention you give them the more they'll do it. Personally, I mute or ignore the person in question and wait for either someone do something about it or this particular individual snap out of it. Whatever comes first. If neither happens I will take some sort of action myself be it a kick vote when available or a file a report after the match.

Zyni

Reaction score

Really? That sucks. I wouldn't want to stick around if someone was a huge jerk. I can put up with a lot, and I hate to leave mid-game, but I get my fill eventually.

Ever hear the old saying "Don't feed the troll?" These people are only in it for the attention and the more attention you give them the more they'll do it.

This is so true. Some people will take any attention even if it's bad attention. I don't understand it myself, but it happens. You're better off not giving them what they crave. It only seems to encourage them. If the kick option is available, you'll usually have back up. Nobody wants to put up with that mess.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
I'm trigger happy when it comes to my mute button, especially if I'm playing ranked games. As soon as someone on my team shows signs of being abusive in chat, I mute them. That way I resolve the issue before it even happens or ruins the match for me. I figure Riot's implementing things like pinging so your team can effectively communicate without the use of chat, so it's not a huge deal to mute the entire team if necessary.

If the person is flaming someone else on the team, and I feel like I can help, I might to be a moderator and bring everyone back into the game in hopes of saving our chances of teamwork. Usually that doesn't work, but I always figure it's worth a try.

luispas

Reaction score
If the person is flaming someone else on the team, and I feel like I can help, I might to be a moderator and bring everyone back into the game in hopes of saving our chances of teamwork. Usually that doesn't work, but I always figure it's worth a try.
That's amazing, I tried to do it but it's hard for me because none reads me, that's why I just let everyone do what they want, of course I would never know because I muted them.

WarVet

Reaction score
Really? That sucks. I wouldn't want to stick around if someone was a huge jerk. I can put up with a lot, and I hate to leave mid-game, but I get my fill eventually.

This is so true. Some people will take any attention even if it's bad attention. I don't understand it myself, but it happens. You're better off not giving them what they crave. It only seems to encourage them. If the kick option is available, you'll usually have back up. Nobody wants to put up with that mess.

Th problem is when the option is not available. Or when this player is not only flaming but also playing poorly on purpose to screw the team. In this case, only a report option will give me any hope of seeing a better future. Usually, this type of person is the same type that cheats, which we discussed in another thread. They need the virtual attention because they get none in real life.

SashaS

Reaction score
In games like LoL and CSGO you just have to deal with it or even better, avoid it to begin with. But this obviously can't always be the case. My friend group isn't always online when I am so there's usually a vacant spot and this has to be filled by a random player, which can both be a blessing and a curse. Sometimes some skilled dude from America or Europe (the good side of it anyway) joins in and practically carries our team, which is great.

But when there is some underaged flamer that cannot handle a multiplayer game, we just mute him if its too much or kick him if it gets really bad and the option is there. Sometimes you have to understand that they've maybe just had a bad day or they've just come out of a game where they were wrecked by a cheater. Everyone gets angry and frustrated and might end up taking that rage out on others, its life after all. Maybe talking to them and opening their eyes to the issue may help.

Leaving isn't an option though, or at least it should be your last. Got to think about your team!

TheArticulate

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to understand that they've maybe just had a bad day or they've just come out of a game where they were wrecked by a cheater. Everyone gets angry and frustrated and might end up taking that rage out on others, its life after all. Maybe talking to them and opening their eyes to the issue may help.

This is a fantastic point, and something I like to try and drive home whenever there's a confrontation between teammates. Usually stemming from "so-and-so fed their lane", "so-and-so didn't gank my lane enough", or what have you. You can extend it past understanding that some people just have a bad day, and try and get others to understand that everyone makes mistakes, too. Everyone has bad games, so it doesn't make sense to ride someone's back because they aren't performing so well. It happens to all of us! If I'm not doing well, I already feel bad enough because I'm not contributing the team like I want to, so it just kills my determination and mood even more if someone starts harassing me for something I know is happening.

At the end of the day, it's just a game, and I don't think a lot of people quite understand that.

Zyni

Reaction score
Sometimes you have to understand that they've maybe just had a bad day or they've just come out of a game where they were wrecked by a cheater. Everyone gets angry and frustrated and might end up taking that rage out on others, its life after all.

Sure, everyone has a bad day or a bad time. That really doesn't give them the right to take their stuff out on other people though. It's rude, if you ask me, so I will not make excuses for them. Let them rage quit if they are so uptight.:tongueclosed:

At the end of the day, it's just a game, and I don't think a lot of people quite understand that.

Indeed, and everyone would do well to remember this. Still, the "just a game" that's being played may be the only leisure time someone has that day. They don't deserve to have that time wasted by immature, rude, people that get their kicks from ruining other people's fun or who jump online to take their crud out on random strangers.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with you Articulate. It is a game but people just completely forget that. It is like they turn into something else when they get in a League of Legends game. I don't know if they just get sucked into it or what but it's weird. I had one online friend that I used to duo queue with and he was such a big flamer. Every time we queued together, he flamed our teammates so badly. I kept telling him to stop because not only is it making them play worse, it isn't a nice thing to do. And he acknowledged it outside the game, he said yes I agree, I won't flame anymore... then we get into a game again and it's all over again.

I stopped playing with him purely because he was flaming. I can take only so much. It made me feel uncomfortable playing with him because he was so nasty.

Zyni

Reaction score
I don't blame you, @Gladdy. I wouldn't want to play with someone like that. It would ruin my fun as well as other people's. I don't understand people like that, especially when he knew that what he was doing was wrong.

I wouldn't want to be associated with someone like that in game either. I wouldn't want other people to think I'm mean too, just because my friend wouldn't act right. There is guilt by association, and I wouldn't want him to ruin my reputation. I wouldn't want him wearing my guild tag either.

Javo1096

Reaction score
At the beginning I sure tried to make them less flamers like talking them out during the game but how much can you say to control a person when you're being ulted by a Zed? I realized that it wasn't worth it and now I just mute them.

alastor1

Reaction score
I do what the most people do: /muteall. And for me, I avoid annoying messages, stupid comments and everything, sometimes that's an strategy, if you find someone easy to tilt just keep doing the same, that person would be angrier. That's why the best is to stay away from everybody. Just type: gj, that's enough in League.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
I do what the most people do: /muteall. And for me, I avoid annoying messages, stupid comments and everything, sometimes that's an strategy, if you find someone easy to tilt just keep doing the same, that person would be angrier. That's why the best is to stay away from everybody. Just type: gj, that's enough in League.
Getting upset and typing out to the community can reveal a lot about your mindset in game. If someone on my team is getting angry, I do the same as you and mute them, but it's sometimes a different story when the other team rages in all chat.

My roommate was playing jungle Maokai a few weeks back and was getting some great ganks for our mid laner. After helping him get a couple kills, the other team's mid laner chimes into all chat at my roommate, and is visibly upset that he keeps getting ganked. He says some rude, nasty things in all chat and says he's "starting to get tilted". Our response to this? We told my roommate to camp mid lane to death in the hopes we could tilt the other team's mid laner into oblivion and win us the game faster.

Sometimes it's just better to not say anything, I think.

alastor1

Reaction score
Getting upset and typing out to the community can reveal a lot about your mindset in game. If someone on my team is getting angry, I do the same as you and mute them, but it's sometimes a different story when the other team rages in all chat.

My roommate was playing jungle Maokai a few weeks back and was getting some great ganks for our mid laner. After helping him get a couple kills, the other team's mid laner chimes into all chat at my roommate, and is visibly upset that he keeps getting ganked. He says some rude, nasty things in all chat and says he's "starting to get tilted". Our response to this? We told my roommate to camp mid lane to death in the hopes we could tilt the other team's mid laner into oblivion and win us the game faster.

Sometimes it's just better to not say anything, I think.
That was a fun story XD poor mid laner. Yesterday I was in that situation but I was the one who got ganked a lot. I was playing Cassiopeia top because I love her, but I had a super high ping, I was against Zac and I could barely farm because of the lag I had. Anyways, the time pass and then his jungle Warwick came to my lane but mine (Sejuani) helped me at the same moment, we had a little fight, they tried to dive us I got a double kill lol. That was the only good moment of my game, because the WW came over and over to top and I couldn't do anything, I just feed and felt like I couldn't do much, my team flamed me but it wasn't my fault, I had lag, I just ignored them.
We ended up losing, the enemy WW just made fun of me, thanks God it was a normal game.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
I am trying to avoid replying to them, or even mute, and after the game report of course. These people don't deserve your attention and they are actually feeding off of it. When reported, they will get what they deserve.

huggy212

Reaction score
When I play alone I totally ignore them even they are flaming me or anyone else in the game. When it is an enemy sometimes I do answer back when i'm not at a losing position. I really hate when I know and my teammates are my personal friends and they start to flame each other. I usually try to stop them from saying anything against each other because their both my friends.