• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Can you name a game that performs better on other platforms?

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I think there aren't any. With maxed out settings in the PC, any game would look infinitely better appearance-wise, and would also be at peak performance. What do you guys think?

fcuco

Reaction score
PCs will always outperform consoles if you use cutting edge hardware and are competent enough to put it together, but, in all fairness, I think there is an argument to be made about comparing performance and graphics on a pound for pound basis, specially when it comes to comparing prices, because most consoles are basically subsidized hardware sold for very if no profit as they are counting on making their money back with the games.

Steamroller

Reaction score
I remember that Resident evil 4 for Game Cube performed better than on PS2 and even far better than the horrific port for PC.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
PCs will always outperform consoles if you use cutting edge hardware and are competent enough to put it together, but, in all fairness, I think there is an argument to be made about comparing performance and graphics on a pound for pound basis, specially when it comes to comparing prices, because most consoles are basically subsidized hardware sold for very if no profit as they are counting on making their money back with the games.

Couldn't agree more! Don't get me wrong, I love my Xbox One. However, PC gaming will always be superior to consoles.

Personally, I've noticed a few games that run a lot smoother on PC compared to console. A notable mention is Grand Theft Auto V. First, the size of that game is massive! GTA V gameplay on Xbox is decent, though I feel it runs way smoother on PC. I also prefer playing games like GTA with a keyboard and mouse, rather than a controller. Dirt 4 also seemed to work better for me on PC (even though I prefer a controller with racing games). I don't own a console copy, but my friend had an Xbox version I tried at his house. Then I came back and downloaded it for PC and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think it comes down to an individuals preference vs. performance.

missionreport

Reaction score
No. Nothing can outdo the pc when it comes to rendering graphics. However, there's still a huge difference in the feels if you play it on console. I've observed that while the pc has obviously better graphics and frame rates, when it comes to some games like Devil May Cry that the colors and resolution seem to feel more natural with the console. Graphics set to the highest values can make the game look too glossy and unnatural.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
On the same price range, if I don't necessarily have a gaming PC, and just an average one, I'd say in GTA IV was a terrible port. And I've read this a lot in forums too, so it's not just me. I don't even know why it runs so horribly, some of the graphics were missing/glitching/etc, although I've ran games with much better graphics and it all ran fine (Metal Gear: Phantom Pain runs pretty decent). So I'm really blaming it on how the game is ported.

m33kuh

Reaction score
I don't think there is. Unless there is now a console with upgradeable graphics card or support up to 144 hz monitor refresh rate (maybe there is already). But nonetheless, PC gaming is the best option when you want to do hardcore gaming.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I have to agree with you if you're speaking purely performance wise - the computer is still far superior to the consoles. It is logical because look at all of the available parts we have for PC. You can't really upgrade the console or take something out and replace it with a component that is more powerful, it doesn't work like that. So yeah, if you have a really good computer that can support you running all the games on max settings and ultra high, then it does outperform the console.

However, gameplay wise - I always found a certain genre of games to be played the best on the console. I am mainly referring to genres like driving, sports, certain RPGs and so on.

Sino989

Reaction score
I agree also. PCs are just way more powerful than consoles can even imagine so I don't think there are any games that will look better or perform better on any other platform.

Makef0rt

Reaction score

Performance wise, the only time the game might outrun a PC is when your PC is not strong enough to run it at maximum. With PC you can use ENB or SweetFX and add even extra touches to the graphics to your liking.

Denis_P

Reaction score
Well that would depend on what you mean in terms of "performance." Yes, overall PC games are always going to have higher resolution textures and more frames per second. But that doesn't necessarily mean that every game is going to play better than they do on consoles.

Here's what I mean. Take Batman: Arkham Knight for example. That game was, and still is for many players, notoriously poor on PC. Consoles had a normal time with it but PC players were getting awful FPS and poor textures. The first Dark Souls game as well. When it came out it was nearly unplayable for PC. Grand Theft Auto IV was/is terrible as well.

How good a game performs on PC is up to the developer. I they put poor effort into optimizing games for computers, there are going to be more and more games which function better on consoles.

vennybunny

Reaction score
Bad ports would always perform worse. I remember being so excited to play Dishonored 2, but the PC version was horrible when it came out. It was eventually patched, but a lot of people got really mad about how bad it performed during launch.

I think there was a similar issue with the latest Arkham game, but I never tried it.

overcast

Reaction score
I think the console games for most of the GTA and Call of Duty performed better. I think wolfestein seems to be better on the PC instead of console. I have found that the campaign modes are better played on PC and it can give you more control over what you can do in games. I mean that's the best part about PC gaming.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
There are a few bad ports that never got patched. The sad things is that they are often good games, ruined by terrible performance or other problems. The first Dark Souls had a pretty bad PC port, fixed by fan patch and mods, but I don't know if it was actually worse than console.
Another port considered often pretty bad is Saints Row 2, almost unplayable on PC due to constant crashing and performance issues.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
Except for some ports that were really bad like GTA IV for example I don't think any games runs better on a console than a very good, top-of-the-line PC. The latter just has so much more power, you can't compare them.

fishmonk

Reaction score
PC has better performance than console except for bad console ports. Then again, it depends on what type of specs your PC has.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
If we take for granted the quality of ports and the PC's specs, then yeah, there is no game that will run better on consoles. In practice, though, not all ports run as well (the first Dark Souls, Saints Row 2, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and a good deal of PC ports made by Ubisoft) as on consoles.
And what about controls? You can make pretty much any controller work on PC, but if we think about the native controls only, then consoles with motion controls like the Wii have it much better. It's not that PCs can't run it, they just can't make it work. Could you image playing stuff like Wii Sports on a computer?