• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Community Interaction

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
Well I am on the fence about this because 99.99% of the time developers promise stuff that they can't deliver. They promise you the moon to get you all hyped about the game so that you will go and preorder. And then just before release they are like "due to time restraints we are going to implement it at a later date" So in other words it never is going to make it into the game. I would just rather the developers talk about the features that is currently in the game.

WarVet

Reaction score
I couldn't have said it better, @WarVet. I get so sick of those, "Shut up and take my money," people who have no clue. They ruin good games for everyone else, since the devs don't even have to try any more.

Indeed, some studios just get too big for their britches. My former favorite is a testament to that. In fact, they suffered from both the problems you mentioned. They got big (and too full of themselves) plus they got swallowed up. Now, the bean counters are in charge and games aren't as much fun.

It happens a lot man and not only with game developers. You see people overthinking the quality of their stuff everywhere. A place where I see it happening a lot is Youtube. There are of course good YouTubers who produce quality content. But there are the ones who used to produce quality stuff and fell in love with their own legend and now their stuff sucks. There are also the ones that were never good, to begin with. Quality content is so overrated nowadays that they should give a new meaning to the word "Quality"

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I have seen game developers where they are also checking forums about the game for feedbacks. In a subreddit of Defense of the Ancients 2, they always address immediately if there is a bug in the game through a new post. After a while the game has a new update. There are confirmed staff members of the game to be visiting the subreddit.
Minecraft developers are also actice in their Twitter accounts and are responding to tweets that are about the game. Some of them even answer questions regarding future features. It is actually a great help to the community if developers are also part of it.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
It's amazing to get direct feedback from the developers themselves, it makes them look like they actually care about the game and its fanbase (and if they're willing to interact directly with the players, they most likely due). Plus, bugs or additional features (at least the easy ones to implement) are handled much faster. It's always bonus points for me if I can feel a developer's passion even outside of the game.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Well I am on the fence about this because 99.99% of the time developers promise stuff that they can't deliver. They promise you the moon to get you all hyped about the game so that you will go and preorder. And then just before release they are like "due to time restraints we are going to implement it at a later date" So in other words it never is going to make it into the game. I would just rather the developers talk about the features that is currently in the game.
True that. Still, other than clarification and minor bug fixing, what could we possibly make out of it? What's the point of communicating if you can't make use of it to develop future features? I know that, in reality, this is just a recipe for disappointment, but it's still better than a blind silence, if you ask me.

WarVet

Reaction score
True that. Still, other than clarification and minor bug fixing, what could we possibly make out of it? What's the point of communicating if you can't make use of it to develop future features? I know that, in reality, this is just a recipe for disappointment, but it's still better than a blind silence, if you ask me.

Oh yeah, i agree totally. There is always a 00.01 % chance that they will listen to us yes? and that chance is usually better than nothing. And come on usually that chance isn't really that low. It's just that the developers try to make everyone happy but usually, they simply can't. So they stay in the middle and end up making no one happy. Still way better than silence. At least we're being heard.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Oh yeah, i agree totally. There is always a 00.01 % chance that they will listen to us yes? and that chance is usually better than nothing. And come on usually that chance isn't really that low. It's just that the developers try to make everyone happy but usually, they simply can't. So they stay in the middle and end up making no one happy. Still way better than silence. At least we're being heard.
Exactly. Obviously they'll only attend the most vocal requests, but you have to start low to assemble a decent group. This is especially true for games with active an e-sport scene, balance updates are very frequent there (that's one of the very few upsides to those games I'll acknowledge).
Plus, if it's small software houses we're talking about, chances are the developers also have decision making power, so it's easier to get an answer from them. This isn't the case for major publishers like Ubisoft, for instance, because developers are just employees. They can't decide to push updates (not independently, at least) or change/implement one feature or the other.

overcast

Reaction score
I have seen game developers where they are also checking forums about the game for feedbacks. In a subreddit of Defense of the Ancients 2, they always address immediately if there is a bug in the game through a new post. After a while the game has a new update. There are confirmed staff members of the game to be visiting the subreddit.
Minecraft developers are also actice in their Twitter accounts and are responding to tweets that are about the game. Some of them even answer questions regarding future features. It is actually a great help to the community if developers are also part of it.
Which is the subreddit? I would love to check out some of the DOTA developers. I mean there is a lot to learn from their interaction. Also it'd be fun to consider how the time they spent to learn from the feedback. I am guessing they may also offer the beta releases. And that's something worth checking out.

WarVet

Reaction score
This is especially true for games with active an e-sport scene, balance updates are very frequent there (that's one of the very few upsides to those games I'll acknowledge).

Precisely. I don't like the whole e-sport scene either. They took something that was supposed to be fun and entertaining and turned into a "sport" (A very unhealthy one I should add but I guess most professional level athletes aren't) which we have millions involved and the media behind it all. Of course, as long someone is making a profit they will continue but it's not my cup of tea at all.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I have seen game developers where they are also checking forums about the game for feedbacks.
Yeah, Reddit seems to be very popular for that. If I remember correctly, I think the Overwatch subreddit, too, is visited by developers.

Precisely. I don't like the whole e-sport scene either. They took something that was supposed to be fun and entertaining and turned into a "sport" (A very unhealthy one I should add but I guess most professional level athletes aren't) which we have millions involved and the media behind it all. Of course, as long someone is making a profit they will continue but it's not my cup of tea at all.
Exactly my thoughts. It's like they tried to translate a game into a sport (which could be fine, to a certain degree) while taking sportsmanship and mutual respect out of the equation. They're more accessible than any other sport, and, unlike most of them, discipline is not taught as a fundamental requirement. That's what makes it an e-sport, sure, but... that's also what makes it toxic.

WarVet

Reaction score
Yeah, Reddit seems to be very popular for that. If I remember correctly, I think the Overwatch subreddit, too, is visited by developers.

Exactly my thoughts. It's like they tried to translate a game into a sport (which could be fine, to a certain degree) while taking sportsmanship and mutual respect out of the equation. They're more accessible than any other sport, and, unlike most of them, discipline is not taught as a fundamental requirement. That's what makes it an e-sport, sure, but... that's also what makes it toxic.

Good point. In traditional sports, while there are occasional fights and such there is a widespread culture of respect and nonagression. The famous fair play. Even in combat sports, this is widely encouraged. Nothing like we see online. Bands of teenagers arguing and cursing on Youtube videos over which team is better or which player is the coolest.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Good point. In traditional sports, while there are occasional fights and such there is a widespread culture of respect and nonagression. The famous fair play. Even in combat sports, this is widely encouraged. Nothing like we see online. Bands of teenagers arguing and cursing on Youtube videos over which team is better or which player is the coolest.
Oh, right, I almost forgot about YouTube let's plays. The hunger for popularity plays a huge role there, it's all about doing and saying what most people will like. I hate how so many youtubers (especially the younger ones) just scream around to gather views. It's sad, really, and, as you say, it doesn't encourage the growth of a healthy environment to play in, together.
...God, have I already started to complain about how terrible the youth is?

WarVet

Reaction score
Oh, right, I almost forgot about YouTube let's plays. The hunger for popularity plays a huge role there, it's all about doing and saying what most people will like. I hate how so many youtubers (especially the younger ones) just scream around to gather views. It's sad, really, and, as you say, it doesn't encourage the growth of a healthy environment to play in, together.
...God, have I already started to complain about how terrible the youth is?

HAHAHA. It makes you sound like an elder. But I agree with you there. A hundred per cent in fact. Our parent's generation grew up on the streets, leading a life of adventure, street brawling and under age skirt chasing. Our generation(Mine at least) grew up locked in an apartment with nothing to do all day long but play video games and stare at the ceiling. A huge difference there.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
HAHAHA. It makes you sound like an elder. But I agree with you there. A hundred per cent in fact. Our parent's generation grew up on the streets, leading a life of adventure, street brawling and under age skirt chasing. Our generation(Mine at least) grew up locked in an apartment with nothing to do all day long but play video games and stare at the ceiling. A huge difference there.
Yeah, same here. Sure, the Internet is an awesome place to adventure in, but it can't be compared to real life.
What I've noticed is that this has greatly damaged by social interaction skills. Sometimes I'm just fine, but sometimes I lock up and feel the need to run away to collect myself. I've mostly interacted with people online while growing up, and I hate not having as much time to think as I do when writing.
I guess this plays a huge part in the reason why I feel communities to be so impactful when it comes to my opinion on a game. I've grown up in them and with them.

WarVet

Reaction score
Yeah, same here. Sure, the Internet is an awesome place to adventure in, but it can't be compared to real life.
What I've noticed is that this has greatly damaged by social interaction skills. Sometimes I'm just fine, but sometimes I lock up and feel the need to run away to collect myself. I've mostly interacted with people online while growing up, and I hate not having as much time to think as I do when writing.
I guess this plays a huge part in the reason why I feel communities to be so impactful when it comes to my opinion on a game. I've grown up in them and with them.

I am like that also man. In fact, i spent so much time of my life alone that nowadays I value persona,l face to face interaction much more than online interaction. This is one thing I tried to make my brother realize but to no avail. He is 18 now and completely shut down in his own world. No Girlfriend, no job, and few real life friends. I tried a lot to make him understand so he wouldn't make the same mistakes as I did but he won't listen to me. Too bad :(

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I am like that also man. In fact, i spent so much time of my life alone that nowadays I value persona,l face to face interaction much more than online interaction. This is one thing I tried to make my brother realize but to no avail. He is 18 now and completely shut down in his own world. No Girlfriend, no job, and few real life friends. I tried a lot to make him understand so he wouldn't make the same mistakes as I did but he won't listen to me. Too bad :(

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I was in pretty much the same position at his age, so I can understand him. He's still young, and every suggestion will sound as a scolding to him. You start to think no one can understand you, and you react by acting in the opposite way.
He will realize it as time goes as we did. The good news is that the world is full of people like us, so it's easy to sympathize and become friends, it's just a matter of finding them. Best of luck to him!

WarVet

Reaction score
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I was in pretty much the same position at his age, so I can understand him. He's still young, and every suggestion will sound as a scolding to him. You start to think no one can understand you, and you react by acting in the opposite way.
He will realize it as time goes as we did. The good news is that the world is full of people like us, so it's easy to sympathize and become friends, it's just a matter of finding them. Best of luck to him!

I hope so buddy. As for myself, i have given up on trying to make him understand. I realized that he is on a path of his own and nothing I say will drag him away from it. So I might as well save my breath. Even if he does realize way down the road how life really works he is too proud to admit that I was right all along. So all I can do is wish him the best like you said.

sima061

Reaction score
It's great - to give good service or make a good product you have to listen to the customers' opinions, of course. As for the rude customers who will attack, well that's just how it is. There are rude people everywhere and you have to bear with them no matter what's your job and why you are talking to them. I'm sure most people understand that and won't let those situations stop them from communicating with the rest who are communicating normally in return.

Wolfparttimer

Reaction score
Do you like it when developers are active in the community? For example listening closely to community suggestions, and replying a lot to community posts/forum threads

I really love it when developers have time to be able to interact with the community. It feels awesome being able to talk to someone who's making the awesome game you play :)
The only drawback is when the community reacts negatively to a decision and starts personally attacking developers, or just starts flaming them. I really do not approve of that. They don't have to interact with us! Why berate them for doing it?!

1. Yes, I love when developers are active with the community, because it shows how much they love the opinion of their community, in my opinion listening is a very important part of developing something amazing.
  2. Gaming communities can give as much love as hate, they are very volatile, I see communities something like a chain reaction, and they can´t be stopped (or at least I feel that way), in the end, even though they give hate, they still play and enjoy the game, that´s why they are part of the community. But, developers have to take in account their opinions and study if what they are saying is important or not :)

overcast

Reaction score
It's great - to give good service or make a good product you have to listen to the customers' opinions, of course. As for the rude customers who will attack, well that's just how it is. There are rude people everywhere and you have to bear with them no matter what's your job and why you are talking to them. I'm sure most people understand that and won't let those situations stop them from communicating with the rest who are communicating normally in return.
True customer interaction matters a lot. And not a lot of developers are listening to the people who are going to buy. And that's another thing to watch out as well. I have had those set of problems where I have found that people are not much paying attention to my app. So I ask for feedback and one can learn a lot from that part.