• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Console vs Handheld

WarVet

Reaction score
I believe that we simply can't compare both. Both are different and are geared toward different things. It's like comparing Apples and Oranges: It falls back on a matter of preference only. If we compared Handheld from different companies or Consoles from different companies then we'd have a fair comparison.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
I play on PC but when it comes to consoles and handheld devices I would choose a console. There are just no good options on handheld devices except for a select few, but you get bored of them pretty quick. Consoles offer more versability.

WarVet

Reaction score
I play on PC but when it comes to consoles and handheld devices I would choose a console. There are just no good options on handheld devices except for a select few, but you get bored of them pretty quick. Consoles offer more versability.

Yup. Have you owned a PSP? It was such a great hit back then. Still, it was an exception. Sure we had Gameboys in the past but there is just no way and handheld and hold his ground against a console. That's why I think it's pointless to compare them.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
Yup. Have you owned a PSP? It was such a great hit back then. Still, it was an exception. Sure we had Gameboys in the past but there is just no way and handheld and hold his ground against a console. That's why I think it's pointless to compare them.
Yep, owned PSP 3002 and I think I still have it laying around somewhere here. My favorite game used to be Tekken, a Mortal Kombat-style game that I played every single day online. It used to be a lot of fun beating people around and upgrading my characters.

WarVet

Reaction score
Yep, owned PSP 3002 and I think I still have it laying around somewhere here. My favorite game used to be Tekken, a Mortal Kombat-style game that I played every single day online. It used to be a lot of fun beating people around and upgrading my characters.

Ohh I had the 2000 something. It was the one we could jailbreak so i bought it. I downloaded and played countless games but the one that marked me most was Metal gear solid Peace walker. I easily spent over 200 hours on the game. The good thing about PSP in my opinion was donwloadable games. Just amazing.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
Ohh I had the 2000 something. It was the one we could jailbreak so i bought it. I downloaded and played countless games but the one that marked me most was Metal gear solid Peace walker. I easily spent over 200 hours on the game. The good thing about PSP in my opinion was donwloadable games. Just amazing.
Yeah, even today you can find cracked PSP games which is pretty cool. I also loved the Smackdown vs Raw games, the 2009 one was probably my one of my favorite games on the platform. Really well-designed.

WarVet

Reaction score
Yeah, even today you can find cracked PSP games which is pretty cool. I also loved the Smackdown vs Raw games, the 2009 one was probably my one of my favorite games on the platform. Really well-designed.

Yeah man, the options were endless. I remember playing some Japanese RPG which I don't really recall the name and I played it for hours and hours. Unlike other handhelds, the PSP had some mean quality games. Sure the graphics weren't great but then again it's hard to find graphic quality in a handheld console. Despite that the gameplay and story of most games were awesome.

valy

Reaction score
Hi, Geoffrey, I do prefer using consoles though. Sitting on a couch, drinking some beers, and playing on a singular console is somehow just more fun than when everyone is just staring at their handheld. It is true that playing with a home console limits me to playing sometimes but I still prefer it against the handheld!

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd say handheld. I prefer the idea of being able to play games wherever I go, especially when we go on long road trips or out of towns. I love playing with my Nintendo 3DS but the variety of games is limited unlike the games on the console. I also believe it's because that handheld gaming devices have limited capabilities and the technology is not advanced yet as far as I know, if compared to the capabilities of the consoles. We'll someday get to the point of being able to play Grand Theft Auto V on a handheld gaming device.

overcast

Reaction score
I'd say handheld sales increase during the Christmas and black Friday shopping. I have also found that many people get into the tablet for the gaming too. So such high performance tablet with better spec would be one issue to look at. I guess in some cases you can say that consoles are good but market needs to change as well. That's for sure.

vennybunny

Reaction score
The line is starting to blur, especially with the Switch.

Also, with VR on the horizon, and how well suited it is to mobile gaming, I think AAA titles would appear more and more with mobile device support. I'm really looking forward to it.

fireball916

Reaction score
Consoles because they provide a full gaming experience that you can't get on a mobile device. Handheld games are usually somewhat watered down both in graphics and game play. With that said I still enjoy playing games while on the go so handhelds are perfect for that.

peachpurple

Reaction score
I prefer handheld gadgets because you can bring it anywhere especially outside, takes up less space, convenient and able to shut your kids up when they are busy with handheld. Then I can do my grocery shopping with ease.

vinaya

Reaction score
I don't have consoles, I play on my PC as well as on hand held devices. I have played on consoles and I admit that the experience is wonderful, however,I consider consoles just a waste of money when I can play on my PC or mobile devices. If you were a hard core gamer, you would never think like this, however, I am an occasional gamer and I don't want to spend too much on games.

ZXD22

Reaction score
I would go for a console rather than a handheld. A handheld is pretty good for gaming on the fly, but there aren't as many block buster games for handhelds than for consoles I believe.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I've found myself playing on handheld devices way more frequently compared to consoles. I just like to be able to lie anywhere to play without looking at a screen across the whole room. Plus, well, I like to carry my console around when I'm out to play some games while I'm waiting for classes to start or simply to kill some spare time. It's the idea of comfort that attracts me. I like to know that, if I wanted to move around with it, I could. I hate to feel restrained.

WarVet

Reaction score
I've found myself playing on handheld devices way more frequently compared to consoles. I just like to be able to lie anywhere to play without looking at a screen across the whole room. Plus, well, I like to carry my console around when I'm out to play some games while I'm waiting for classes to start or simply to kill some spare time. It's the idea of comfort that attracts me. I like to know that, if I wanted to move around with it, I could. I hate to feel restrained.

I'm quite the opposite man. I find that console games are usually better developed and better to spend your money on since you get more content. Also, handheld consoles are expensive and these days I can't spend much. So I mostly game on my PC (Steam). I find it that it's the best investment when you're short on money.

kgord

Reaction score
I think the convenience of handheld may be very attractive, but it is probably not going to matched by the unique and full throttle experience of a console. If you don't have a console, or want to keep gaming wherever you are, I guess the handheld option is one for you. It is a personal decision I guess.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
Console forsure, I think the days of handheld are almost gone. My Samsung Galaxy S8+ is a 100 times more powerful then any handheld on the market today. And right now ever AAA publisher is working on a AAA game for cell phones. So I wouldn't be surprised if handhelds cease to exist in the next 5 years.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Console is better. Handheld are great for short game play, like if you want to kill some time.