• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do I need a good monitor for higher FPS?

Yoshi

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a CPU here with AMD Athlon II X2 ~3.12Ghz, DX11, 4GB Ram with ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series but my FPS doesn't go beyond 75fps. Is it because my monitor is too old or should I change something with the settings?

djdanilo

Reaction score
Well, your PC configuration looks outdated and thats probably the main reason you are not getting more FPS in your games. However, monitor you use also plays a big role, for example, even if you had a very powerful gaming PC thats getting you 120+ fps, you woudn't be able to see them if your monitor was 60 Hz, you would only see 60 FPS. So, if you choose to upgrade your PC, you should consider upgrading your monitor aswell. Hope this helps.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I had an older (VGA) port on my old monitor and didn't have newer ones like HDMI. When I upgraded to a 1060 6GB, the cables weren't compatible since apparently the old monitors have been phased out and won't be able to use newer graphics cards without having massive set backs in terms of quality in the video. So yeah, I had to shell out an additional $150 for a new monitor when I got my graphics card. But hey, bigger screen, higher resolution; can't say it wasn't worth it.

overcast

Reaction score
I have found that most of the games and the design work can be done on the 15'' and 17'' monitor. The bigger monitors and wider are better for gaming and graphics. Just make sure that you are not getting those viewsonic square shaped monitors. That's where I have found out that what type of monitor would be good enough for me.

Tania997

Reaction score
Needing a great monitor is a myth propagated by elitists. It's literally the last component to be concerned about when building your setup. I've seen people rocking a 10-year old Acer LCD and it's perfectly fine. Obviously if you invest in a powerful GPU that makes you reach 4K Quality, it doesn't make sense playing in 1080p or less on a small monitor. Also, one thing you should always take into consideration is the response time. I've seen expensive monitors with bad response times, that will really impact your gaming experience since you have to adjust and will be at a disadvantage. It's personal preference depending on your setup in the end.

overcast

Reaction score
Obviously if you invest in a powerful GPU that makes you reach 4K Quality, it doesn't make sense playing in 1080p or less on a small monitor. .

i don't think there is point in burning parents money with that much high configuration. Because such specs eventually low down in few months. And one has to find another new fancy config. But yeah for gaming these days 4K and 1080p stuff is overkill. We don't need that much. As long as game is good we are good.

Tania997

Reaction score
i don't think there is point in burning parents money with that much high configuration. Because such specs eventually low down in few months. And one has to find another new fancy config. But yeah for gaming these days 4K and 1080p stuff is overkill. We don't need that much. As long as game is good we are good.
I agree with you. It is overkill and something you shouldn't spend so much money on. That's why I said having a great monitor to game is only a myth. I have friends who are using 10 year old monitor, as long as it works, that's fine.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree, monitors are not that important. As long as it has 60 Hz rate it will do just fine, no need to spend twice the money to get a 120 Hz refresh rate. Having a 60+ FPS refresh rate is only important in e-sports, since it means that inputs are checked twice as many times, so the game will indeed be more responsive. However, 60 FPS will do just fine most times, since it's nigh impossible to notice any differences above it.
Plus, if your rig can only go as far as 75 FPS, changing monitor won't make a difference.

fishmonk

Reaction score
I have a 144Hz monitor and I'm loving it. It's not necessary to have the 144 Hz but if you can afford it, do go for the upgrade. II felt the difference especially when playing CS:Go.

valy

Reaction score
At my family PC have a 17'' monitor, and at my gaming PC I have a 22' monitor that really makes my games look great, but this doesn't help too much and my advice for you is to get a new graphics card, that will change and improve the graphic in your games!

Deathisue

Reaction score
Not in reality but you must be aware of the rate of refreco of the screen the greater the rate the greater will be the fluid that will see the image, if you reach the 120 fps you need a screen that can reach that refresh rate, there are good screens with that refresh rate and they are not so expensive, just search in amazon you will find the one that sits to your characteristics

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
This is just my personal opinion but the human eye can only see 60fps and anything over that is overkill. Most people can't even tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps. But if your wanting more than 75fps you're going to need a updated rig with a i7 and a GTX 1080 and a 144Hz monitor. So in other words prepare to set your wallet on fire.

Decypher

Reaction score
If you need more fps then you need to upgrade, cause your pc configurations is outdated in the gaming world, for hard core gamers, game flow matters a lot for high end games, and that might proper you to go get a good gaming PC or Laptop. with quality specs and Nividia processor that can be overclocked, it will cost you the bucks, but it's worth it.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
Definitely not a problem with your monitor. Your specs are quite outdated and that's why you're seeing lower fps. A monitor with a higher refresh rate would only be detrimental for you since you won't be able to reach those rates.