• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you ever record your gaming?

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I have never recorded my gaming to upload it anywhere, but I have a few bits here and there, but they're just short funny/interesting clips I wanted to show to my friends. I'm not good nor entertaining enough to handle a YouTube channel, so I've never even approached the idea. I probably would if I found out about some glitches or any extraordinaire events, though.

WarVet

Reaction score
I have never recorded my gaming to upload it anywhere, but I have a few bits here and there, but they're just short funny/interesting clips I wanted to show to my friends. I'm not good nor entertaining enough to handle a YouTube channel, so I've never even approached the idea. I probably would if I found out about some glitches or any extraordinaire events, though.

Seems like a decent idea man. My only problems with it are that I suck at most games and I have a hard time setting up any kind of hardware. Still, i'd love to have some clips to show friends and family or post on Youtube. Any tips you'd like to share?

Lukehh

Reaction score
I have Shadow Play set up on pc, and It's fantastic for recording, It has a Game DVR basically, if something awesome happened, I hit a keybind on my mouse, and bam, it's recorded. The way shadow play works it doesn't even really effect my performance either!

zackd

Reaction score
Rarely. Really want to get into broadcasting on YouTube and Twitch. Just need to get my act together and stop being lazy lol..

zackd

Reaction score
Can't believe I bought a whole setup to record. I got a PVR but I just don't have the drive due to school/work but someday I would love to start recording. Even though I got that Microsoft Sam voice haha.

olaryeankarh

Reaction score
I don't have an audience yet so it is not quite needed for me but then hey! When I play FIFA or WE11, I save shots of my terrific goals. Those moments make me happy. To think that I can not score goals like that in real life. Haha

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Seems like a decent idea man. My only problems with it are that I suck at most games and I have a hard time setting up any kind of hardware. Still, i'd love to have some clips to show friends and family or post on Youtube. Any tips you'd like to share?
Well, most times they were just a minute long, tops, so I'd just use my phone to record it off the screen. However, I once recorded a game I was playing on PC with FRAPS (it's free if you don't mind the little watermark on top), and it was pretty easy to setup.
If you want to record console footage, you can get video capturing devices for pretty cheap (if you're okay with SD quality you can get them as cheap as 25-30$, but they'll only work with composite cables), unless you want to go the HDMI way (60$ for cheaper models to 100+$). I haven't used them myself, but I know that speedrunners need to use them.

WarVet

Reaction score
Well, most times they were just a minute long, tops, so I'd just use my phone to record it off the screen. However, I once recorded a game I was playing on PC with FRAPS (it's free if you don't mind the little watermark on top), and it was pretty easy to setup.
If you want to record console footage, you can get video capturing devices for pretty cheap (if you're okay with SD quality you can get them as cheap as 25-30$, but they'll only work with composite cables), unless you want to go the HDMI way (60$ for cheaper models to 100+$). I haven't used them myself, but I know that speedrunners need to use them.

Oh, it seems reasonable enough. I mean if you intend to start a youtube channel (Which is a business) you'd have to invest something. Maybe 100-300 dollars so you could start filming things with high quality. Still thought things were way more complicated with cable tv settings and all that. Good to know.

kgord

Reaction score
I think that is a good idea. You could share with friends and family, and also you could perhaps use it as evidence if you wanted to enter a gaming tournament. It would likely showcase your gaming skills. I say go for it!

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Oh, it seems reasonable enough. I mean if you intend to start a youtube channel (Which is a business) you'd have to invest something. Maybe 100-300 dollars so you could start filming things with high quality. Still thought things were way more complicated with cable tv settings and all that. Good to know.
Yeah, me too. Then I read all they do is connect their console's cables to the capture device, which is then connected to the PC through USB and that's it. SD quality is enough for standard recording, but dropping a hundred bucks for a decent HD recorder sounds reasonable for a Youtube channel, yeah.

Hikin33t

Reaction score
I record ALL the time. I love to do it, actually. It makes playing a lot more fun, for me. What if I make a great play that I'd love to share with the world? If it's unrecorded then it's lost forever. That's a big loss since there's a lot of ways you can turn gaming videos into money, after all.

Without thinking about profit, I still like to record. Especially games like Blade & Soul where ... it's really helpful to watch your match, see yourself play and observe the opponent in a more relaxed environment. Or Touhou (東方) because I see so much more than I did during the game.

It's an overall great technique for improving your player skill. I do it for all games I play since I use PlaysTV. It's automatic but it's ...been buggy lately.

WarVet

Reaction score
Yeah, me too. Then I read all they do is connect their console's cables to the capture device, which is then connected to the PC through USB and that's it. SD quality is enough for standard recording, but dropping a hundred bucks for a decent HD recorder sounds reasonable for a Youtube channel, yeah.

Always better to invest some money and make you stuff quality yes? Even with all the polemic of Youtube reducing their funding and all I think it is still a profitable niche if you're into gaming and such. Also, you get paid to do something you would naturally as a free time activity.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Always better to invest some money and make you stuff quality yes? Even with all the polemic of Youtube reducing their funding and all I think it is still a profitable niche if you're into gaming and such. Also, you get paid to do something you would naturally as a free time activity.
Exactly. Plus, I wouldn't risk to make it frustrating for viewers to distinguish text, icons and such.
Yeah, gamers have it easier because their niche is probably the biggest one on YouTube, and once you get big enough you can start promoting games/become a streamer, and those capture devices will not just come in handy, but they'll even be necessary. If you're serious about it, it's totally worth the investment.

rockandgreen

Reaction score
I am terrible at multi tasking and have barely had the chance to record myself properly whilst gaming due to real life time constraints. However, I may look into investing or being a part of a YouTube gaming channel in the future if I want to go down that road. Heck, I might even record just for the sake of viewing games in the 'back in my day' (from the perspective of the future, of course) and for the memories.

ZXD22

Reaction score
I used to record my game play if there were hackers playing like on TDP4 Team Battle. I used to catch hackers and report them to mods to get them banned and you'd get cash reward which was awesome. Ended up making a good amount from that which was a cool gig.

DenisHero

Reaction score
I had an attempt to make a livestream on Youtube,playing Euro Truck Simulator 2,but didnt go well.
I usually use OBS to record my games.Still needs to do some settings,for the best quality(fps),depending on your PC configuration.
No point in making videos unless you are being watched.Maybe Twich would be more reasonable for gaming purposes.
Generally,I dont record myself just for the sake of it.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
Once in a while I record my gameplay on some games for my youtube channel and even though it only gets less than a hundred likes it somehow still feels satisfying to me. Although back then when I was playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas Multiplayer, I record encounters with other players so when I see someone using a hack, I could instantly report them on the server forum. In this way, that person cannot victimize anyone else anymore, since some servers in San Andreas have penalties for deaths in the form of medical expenses that must be paid after respawning.

sima061

Reaction score
Nope, never did that. Honestly I don't even know why would I lol. Not that occupied with gaming to maintain an active channel and make it popular, and I don't really need the videos for myself. So no, I don't do it and I don't really plan to. I only watch gaming videos when I want to see what's a game like - I can't really watch several videos like that with attention. So definitely no :tearsofjoy:

chacalit

Reaction score
I try to record all my gameplay and upload to YouTube because I think that lots of people will want to see it. I think everyone has a unique personality and therefore, my commentary will fit a specific group. The other day, I tried to record some game play with OBS and I accidentally posted a live stream. Someone asked me where was the live stream. I had forgotten that I pressed the button so there are always new people out there looking. It can't hurt to post it.

surlaw

Reaction score
I haven't, but I would be open to it. I wouldn't want to record myself playing some kind of competitive multiplayer game, personally. I think I'd just embarrass myself, it's not really what I'm good at. If I were good at it, I probably would. I think it would be fun to record silent walkthroughs of some old puzzle RPGMaker games or something, but that's the only instance I think it'd really be worth my time to record/upload anything gaming related. Otherwise, like I said, I think I'd just look silly. :sweatsmile: