• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you think GTA V is too violent?

Belovedad

Reaction score
It is violent but I am aware that their are a lot more games that are way more violent that GTA. The game itself wouldn't be logical if it didn't revolve around violence. So, yeah it is violent but not too violent. At least to me, it's not.

Damien

Reaction score
Well, I have to say yes, but people know it's a game, and I remember all of the news stories that came out around the early 2000's about violence in real life coming from these video games. There has been no real evidence that this is the case.

How do you explain violence in countries where they don't have access to video games? Like some places in Africa, or even back when video games did not exist. People will make up excuses to say something is too violent. Movies show things that are terrible like torture, and rape scenes, etc. People don't complain about changing that.

Video games will be violent, it's what people love and will continue to get. Virtual violence is OK with me.

Casiox

Reaction score
Well, I have to say yes, but people know it's a game, and I remember all of the news stories that came out around the early 2000's about violence in real life coming from these video games. There has been no real evidence that this is the case.

How do you explain violence in countries where they don't have access to video games? Like some places in Africa, or even back when video games did not exist. People will make up excuses to say something is too violent. Movies show things that are terrible like torture, and rape scenes, etc. People don't complain about changing that.

Video games will be violent, it's what people love and will continue to get. Virtual violence is OK with me.

You really got a point there @Damian, video games have absolutely nothing to do with violence when it comes to "in real life" violence, I personally think it mostly depends on the kind of person and also how mentally screwed they might be, it's such a crazy thing to think that people could start killing people out the streets just right after playing some GTA V, it's really crazy and it may sound quite hilarious at the same time, I fully agree with you.

Steamroller

Reaction score
Na, because gta violence is just typically over the top instead of realistic. Ragdoll models don't get dismembered and there are not more graphic violence than just blood spill, impact and explosions. The torture scene brought GTA violence to a different level though.

Dowls

Reaction score
I personally think that once you've put that 18+ on it, it doesn't matter what you put in a game. If you think a game is violent then it is up to you to do something about it, such as trade it in or not play it. If you're a parent buying an 18+ game for a kid that is easy influenced without checking what it is about or watching gameplay online then you are the one to blame, not the games company that knew it was going to be sold to 18+.

I would allow any of my kids to play Call of Duty or CS:GO however depending on their age and how easily influenced they are, GTA would most likely come at a later date.

taco

Reaction score
GTA is all about violence, its sort of an integral part of the game, and that is why GTA is marketed for adults who can handle a little bit of violence in their games and can differentiate between reality and fantasy. The majority of young adults and adolescents can make this differentiation as well. So is the game too violent for its intended audience, I would say no, but is it too violent for a 1st grader, well probably yes.

rz3300

Reaction score
Well coming from someone who thought that the first one was too violent, I can say that I also think that this one is. That said, I am not sure if it is proportionately too violent, meaning that if everyone is already used to the violence in the game I am not sure if there is anything new that takes it over the top. I wish that this were not the case, but it is, and I am okay with it I guess. People like violence, and I am not sure that will ever change.

AnonLu

Reaction score
Is it violent? Yes. But that's okay. It's rated "Mature" for a reason, and if people can't handle the kind of stuff that's in a video game like GTA, society is in a really horrible place.

SirJoe

Reaction score
I do think it's a bit on the violent side. The age restriction for the game is +13 which I don't think is enough, I think it should be at least +16.

AnonLu

Reaction score
I do think it's a bit on the violent side. The age restriction for the game is +13 which I don't think is enough, I think it should be at least +16.

Oh, really? Where do you live? Because in the U.S it's 17+, and in the UK 18+ (I think?).

NotCasual

Reaction score
In my opinion, anyone who calls a game ''too violent'' needs a reality check. It's a game. Nothing you do will have an influence on the real world. Kids can't play the game either unless their parents buy it for them. Which, unless the parents think their kids are mature enough (and they can be), is bad parenting.

So even if you could fracture every bone in a victim's body with a hammer, I don't see the issue.

@SirJoe The game is not 13+ anywhere. Here it's 18+, but 16-year-olds are allowed to purchase it.

fcuco

Reaction score
Does anyone think that Rockstar went a little overboard on the violence and inappropriateness front? One recent example is I killed someone by throwing snowballs at him.
I'm under the feeling that hey, its a Rockstar game, it should be offensive - however what do you guys think?
Can you believe that the only thing that really, and I mean, really bothered me about that game was the fact that you could kill dogs? I could stand all the violence against humans but when I had to shoot a dog because it was attacking me I was like "I am not enjoying this at all, this is actually kind of sick".

I know this makes no sense but I have a soft spot for animals, plus I get this bad feeling that some people could get the idea to emulate some of that in real life because they probably could get way with it and hurting animals is always a gateway for doing worse stuff along the line.

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
Can you believe that the only thing that really, and I mean, really bothered me about that game was the fact that you could kill dogs? I could stand all the violence against humans but when I had to shoot a dog because it was attacking me I was like "I am not enjoying this at all, this is actually kind of sick".

I know this makes no sense but I have a soft spot for animals, plus I get this bad feeling that some people could get the idea to emulate some of that in real life because they probably could get way with it and hurting animals is always a gateway for doing worse stuff along the line.

I do get what you're getting at, don't get me wrong. But they tried making it as "realistic" as possible without steering too far off the core focus of the GTA series. This obviously includes harming animals because we can do it in real life. Although you'd have to be pretty sadistic to do so.

I won't be surprised if you can destroy buildings and actually damage the entire environment, rather than street lights and some fences within the next 5 GTA releases.

Referal

Reaction score
Sadly all Games today are violent But people still buys it GTA is more realistic I feel then other games so to answer question then it is a yes!

Tony00

Reaction score
Grand Theft Auto 5 is one of the most controversial game this year. Very famous games around all over the world. But this game has a very bad reputation because it contains a bit of sexual elements to it. So is it good for miners ? I don't think so . This is a really mature game and it's a blast, but it comes down to knowing if your elder teen can handle it. I definitely don't recommend this game to be played to your teen childs. This game was definitely intended for "Mature" audience.

phatlytridivo

Reaction score
Oh yes it's quite violent compared to the old GTA games. But at the same time, I feel like if GTA V was to adapt the same engine like GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas, it wouldn't be as interesting as it is right now. GTAs have always been known for the violence, and as time goes by, engines will improve, and if one thing improves, the others have to stick with the improvement as well. In this case for GTA 5, since the graphics of the game have changed and improved so much, could any of us imagine the violence being toned down, not in detail, and unrealistic in a way like the old GTA games? To me, it's hard to wrap my mind around it. I'm very glad to what they've done with the game. Indeed, it's a violent type of game. But again, it's still a game. To some people, violence can be hard for them to fathom and can easily get traumatized by it. When I first played GTA Vice City, I didn't know what to expect. I accidentally hit the civilians with my car, but then I was like, "oh well.... I need to get that mission done. Life goes on in the game." Initially it was strange, but then I understood the idea of the game being violent.

camshaq23

Reaction score
I don't think it is. It's definitely too violent but who cares nowadays right it's just a video game. We play video games for enjoy not to demonstrate how to do heist or whatnot and the game just makes it too obvious on the step that one would take to commit a heist making their plan predictable.

ValX

Reaction score
Though GTA V is super violent and so inappropriate for kids, it's just so funny! Even I can't understand what is funny, but even with all of those violence, it is really joyous and fun to play. It's just that GTA V ( or any other GTAs ) gamers don't take anything seriously. Killing people in GTA V is just so silly, and just running around enjoying the view while throwing bombs feels so fun instead of so horror and psycho. Rockstar somehow managed to make something that is supposed to be violent seems so unrealistically silly. I just absolutely LOVE it.

Blumaoo

Reaction score
GTA 5 to me is no different that any other rated M video game in order of violence, but when it comes to sexual references that is when GTA 5 gets that name that it is not good for children to play. The strip club (in story mode) is where females (as in real life) are "out" and you give money to go into the back room and then so on so on.