• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Free To Play

cyberpinoy

Reaction score
To really understand DotA and the intensity we play with everyone who knows DotA and especially those who do not should watch this movie.This is the Free To Play movie valve made about DotA and the international tournament.

To get and idea of how much money can be made playing DotA here is a list of other tournaments held and their prize for winning

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/Premier_Tournaments

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/Major_Tournaments

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/Minor_Tournaments

Squigly

Reaction score
The movie is also available on Steam! Personally I really liked hyhy's story, shame that he's not actively playing pro dota anymore :(

cyberpinoy

Reaction score
The movie is also available on Steam! Personally I really liked hyhy's story, shame that he's not actively playing pro dota anymore :(
I agree he had a real good story. he worked very hard to. it is sad to see he no longer involved especially after everything he went thru to be one of the best DotA gamers there was. Maybe he will come back and try it again. I seriously doubt he completely stopped playing dota. For a person as passionate as he was and how addicting the game is I just cant see him hang his mouse up and not play the game.

huckfinn

Reaction score
I really enjoyed the Free to Play documentary as well, they definitely followed some people with interesting stories to tell. It's actually interesting to see how much Dota 2 has grown since the first International, it's unbelievable how big the prize pool was for The International 4 and how many people came to watch - I wonder how big TI5 is going to be!

Hyhy recently started streaming Dota 2 again, and I think he has expressed interest in returning to the competitive scene. It would be great to see him on a team again!

m33kuh

Reaction score
Kabayan! Thanks for this post! Indeed it is a good documentary movie about Dota. We should be thankful to Valve for making Dota a huge success in esports. It has now become one of the games that offer a high prize for The International tournament. I'm so excited in Ti7! 2 of our fellow pinoy teams have made it to Seattle!! Stokeed!!

missionreport

Reaction score
I don't know. Dota seems to have been dumbed down nowadays with the way that it recommends item build to players. I kinda preferred the older game where everything needed some amount of thinking to figure out. Everything about Dota 2 seems to be too convenient. Not to mention, that the pattern between early game, mid game and late game is all too predictable already. Like you know which characters start strong, mid weak and late weaker. And characters who start weak and ends up dominating the map. Being that it's that way, players know whom to target and whom to avoid in that sense. I also don't appreciate the life bar. Back in time, if you don't hover your mouse on top of your ally you won't know how their HP is doing. Today, you'll see how everyone's doing without any problem. Perhaps I just don't like the way that everything's been de-mistified already

m33kuh

Reaction score
That is your opinion, and I respect that. But you have some things which I don't agree.

The item recommendations are fine, that's why they are called recommended. It helps new players play the game by following the 'recommended' items. But that's optional. You can choose to disable recommended items and guide any time. There is a little clickable icon at the top of it.

I am guessing you are in the trench bracket? 1k - 3k perhaps? Or you haven't played ranked? When you reach 5k, you will see that item making requires a lot of thinking. You don't know what your enemy heroes will make. The new meta is very different. An intelligence hero can go carry and build nuke items. An agi or str hero can support. Example, Legion Commander. Pros don't use her as carry, she is offlane/support.

That's just how it is man. Things evolve. :)

fishmonk

Reaction score
That is your opinion, and I respect that. But you have some things which I don't agree.

The item recommendations are fine, that's why they are called recommended. It helps new players play the game by following the 'recommended' items. But that's optional. You can choose to disable recommended items and guide any time. There is a little clickable icon at the top of it.

I am guessing you are in the trench bracket? 1k - 3k perhaps? Or you haven't played ranked? When you reach 5k, you will see that item making requires a lot of thinking. You don't know what your enemy heroes will make. The new meta is very different. An intelligence hero can go carry and build nuke items. An agi or str hero can support. Example, Legion Commander. Pros don't use her as carry, she is offlane/support.

That's just how it is man. Things evolve. :)
As mentioned above, I agree that the current version of Dota 2 is more complete in terms of play-styles.The addition of talents has also allowed for a variety of roles to be fulfilled by heroes. Item recommendation is purely a guideline for newcomers. Experienced players will think of the opponent heroes before buying. For example, you will not get Aghanim's Scepter as an Antimage against legion commander due to the way Duel works.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Right. But in the first place, why would you get Aghs on Anti Mage if they have LC? Aghanims for AM is not popular on the pro scene. They'd prefer Linken's Sphere. But yeah I understand your sentiment. I felt the same way too when I started playing.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Right. But in the first place, why would you get Aghs on Anti Mage if they have LC? Aghanims for AM is not popular on the pro scene. They'd prefer Linken's Sphere. But yeah I understand your sentiment. I felt the same way too when I started playing.
Well to be fair if you farmed Aghs for AM you can't really say you're not farming right. The added stats would be helpful and if you had the time to either jungle that item, or if it is from enemy kills, odds are your team is probably winning anyway.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Well to be fair if you farmed Aghs for AM you can't really say you're not farming right. The added stats would be helpful and if you had the time to either jungle that item, or if it is from enemy kills, odds are your team is probably winning anyway.
Yeah you have a point, but would you buy aghs instead of Manta Style first or Abyssal Blade? I mean, don't tell me you will make Aghs first. +10 agi dmg + small crits and armor is somewhat nothing compared to the benefits of having either of those two. It also depends on your enemies and their single target skills. For LC, you don't want to make Aghs since that will only reflect her Duel to you, so either way, you ain't getting anywhere because you will be dueling her instead (aghs reflect like lotus). But if your enemies have single target nuke dmg or disables such as Finger, Laguna, Hex etc, then aghs is the way to go.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yeah you have a point, but would you buy aghs instead of Manta Style first or Abyssal Blade? I mean, don't tell me you will make Aghs first. +10 agi dmg + small crits and armor is somewhat nothing compared to the benefits of having either of those two. It also depends on your enemies and their single target skills. For LC, you don't want to make Aghs since that will only reflect her Duel to you, so either way, you ain't getting anywhere because you will be dueling her instead (aghs reflect like lotus). But if your enemies have single target nuke dmg or disables such as Finger, Laguna, Hex etc, then aghs is the way to go.
Yeah I agree it's not the best first choice, but in my experience the players who do that sort of thing probably said "fuck it" since he either isn't serious about the game and just trolling, the game is a sure win, or he is trying out a custom build since the teammates are really good and are winning the game without him.

fishmonk

Reaction score
Yeah, the fact is that if you have aghs that means you are most likely in the lead already. I think that AM lacks item slots and there are way better item options out there.

m33kuh

Reaction score
True. AM is a great hero. But if you have a shitty team, then you'll have to do more than just farming. It really depends. Sometimes when we are losing and I somehow got some farm, I try to cut creep waves to slow enemy pushes and that can also give some space for my teammates who are really outfarmed.

fishmonk

Reaction score
Yes, this meta favors a lot of heroes which can participate in fights. It's hard to recover as Antimage once you fall behind. However, there's a chance of the one game winning fight to comeback if the opponents are sloppy.

djdanilo

Reaction score
Aghanim's scepter on Antimage is usually built in pub games, very rarely in professional matches. The reason for that, in this case you were discussing about Antimage vs Legion Commander, professional teams will have supports that will easily break Aghanim's on AM, unlike pub games where there is usually no teamwork and no communication to achieve such things.