• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How often do you buy new games?

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
It doesn't matter to me if it's my favorite game then I'm going to purchase it whenever it releases. I really can't wait to play those games (only favorites) and I don't wanna feel guilty that my friends are playing before me. About other games like least favorite category then I can wait for discounts or free downloads. Every person has their own preferences for their gaming world.
Yes, the gaming world provides multiple options and every person should follow hi sown gaming style. You are lucky that you have sufficient funds to invest in buying new games. Even i would love to do this more often but my limited funds act as a big hindrance. So, all I can do is to stay happy with the free ones only.

Joshmoy

Reaction score
I think most of the gaming people download and use the free versions only. There is no doubt that PS games are very expensive and buying them very often stands out of question. Borrowing and sharing does help a lot.
Well, you have to also be careful when borrowing and sharing. You might want to be sure that the person you're borrowing is not a careless person. It matters a lot. If the person is careless, he or she might spoil the disk and you'd end up buying another one. I have a friend who borrowed a careless person, and the person ended up spoiling the disk. Now anytime we want to play, it hangs and its really frustrating

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Well, you have to also be careful when borrowing and sharing. You might want to be sure that the person you're borrowing is not a careless person. It matters a lot. If the person is careless, he or she might spoil the disk and you'd end up buying another one. I have a friend who borrowed a careless person, and the person ended up spoiling the disk. Now anytime we want to play, it hangs and its really frustrating
See this is why I hate lending games. It's your game they are borrowing. They break it, it's your loss. They won't replace it. Best you can do is to not let people borrow your stuff so they will last as long as you take care of them. My PS2 games are still alive to this day long after my actual PS2 died because I took care of the discs and never let anybody borrow them.

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
I agree. Both borrowing as well as lending games have a great deal of risk factors associated with them. Whenever I use my friend's games, there is always a subconscious pressure in my mind about being careful with the disk. This badly hampers the fun associated with gaming.

Moreover I face a hard time saying No to a person, who I know is careless about his stuff as well as that of others. Sometimes I need to lend my games but it makes me very restless to imagine any damage that might occur to my game.

Jack_Dan

Reaction score
Yes, the gaming world provides multiple options and every person should follow hi sown gaming style. You are lucky that you have sufficient funds to invest in buying new games. Even i would love to do this more often but my limited funds act as a big hindrance. So, all I can do is to stay happy with the free ones only.

It's not like I have sufficient amount of money to buy it. I have fewer games which are my favorite. So every year I get 2 or 3 chance to purchase new release games of my favorite gaming series. Other than that I don't buy that much (only 2 or 3 games a year). But I do download free ones or discounted ones though.

Joshmoy

Reaction score
See this is why I hate lending games. It's your game they are borrowing. They break it, it's your loss. They won't replace it. Best you can do is to not let people borrow your stuff so they will last as long as you take care of them. My PS2 games are still alive to this day long after my actual PS2 died because I took care of the discs and never let anybody borrow them.
I agree with you 100%, but then there are some friends you cannot but borrow. Especially if you're close friends. If he comes over and you guys have fun gaming, and then he wants to borrow it, will you actually say no?

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I agree with you 100%, but then there are some friends you cannot but borrow. Especially if you're close friends. If he comes over and you guys have fun gaming, and then he wants to borrow it, will you actually say no?
Well, lending is different from trading. I don't mind trading temporarily because both parties have accountability, meaning they can't ruin your disc without having to worry that you won't give the game back if the disc is not in your preferred condition.

Joshmoy

Reaction score
Well, lending is different from trading. I don't mind trading temporarily because both parties have accountability, meaning they can't ruin your disc without having to worry that you won't give the game back if the disc is not in your preferred condition.
Wow! That's smart of you. I think its a nice way to reduce collateral damage to your game. I'd tell my friend about this. I'm 101% in for trading over lending.

Okaviator

Reaction score
I tend to buy new games around two times each year. Since I'm on a college student budget I really don't have much spare money laying around.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
I like to buy them when I feel that that game will be epic and I want it, because if I don't feel attracted to a game I can still play some of my older games. I like to see the games that I want to buy and see the trailers and the gameplay to be sure that I want that game and it will be a good game.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Wow! That's smart of you. I think its a nice way to reduce collateral damage to your game. I'd tell my friend about this. I'm 101% in for trading over lending.
Only exception would be if you try and trade with your relatives who are a bit spoiled and who would easily just tell their parents about me not giving back the game they owned because they ruined my game. Seriously, never give stuff to relatives. They are painfully impossible to deal with. When they come over, just hide everything. :D

Maxthewriter

Reaction score
I seldom buy new games, actually. For hardware, if the game hasn't got any malfunction, then I don't bother getting a new one. I could use it for up to 2 years. I don't rush to get the latest game in town when the one I have is still fresh.

If after about a year or two the game is still intact, I auction it out for sale. Then I add money to the one made from the sale of the game and use this cash in purchasing a new game.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I seldom buy new games, actually. For hardware, if the game hasn't got any malfunction, then I don't bother getting a new one. I could use it for up to 2 years. I don't rush to get the latest game in town when the one I have is still fresh.

If after about a year or two the game is still intact, I auction it out for sale. Then I add money to the one made from the sale of the game and use this cash in purchasing a new game.
I don't like the idea of selling games. I'm the sentimental type so I can't really sell the stuff I own, even for profit and even if I don't use them anymore. There are ways to keep them; just store them neatly in a shelf somewhere, put them in a disc book, etc; but I'd never sell them for money to buy a new one. I don't think I could do that sort of thing when I had a lot of memories with it and would probably want to play it again someday.

Lindsy90

Reaction score
When studios started cutting content in order to sell it as $DLC, I stopped pre-ordering games and only buy them on sale now. My wish lisg is just to keep track of WHEN they goon sale.

pioneerauthor

Reaction score
As far as buying and playing games is concerned, I purchase almost ten different games quarterly every year. I already own a lot of games including video and computer games. There are some of these games I didn't buy anywhere, but downloaded online free from established gaming platforms.

There are so many others I simply ordered for from stores like Amazon, Bestbuy, NewEgg, Ebay and so on, but buy games once in four months. I'm always on the look-out for newly launched games and make sure I get them, even if I just bought some games most recently. I have so much passion for playing games.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
As far as buying and playing games is concerned, I purchase almost ten different games quarterly every year. I already own a lot of games including video and computer games. There are some of these games I didn't buy anywhere, but downloaded online free from established gaming platforms.

There are so many others I simply ordered for from stores like Amazon, Bestbuy, NewEgg, Ebay and so on, but buy games once in four months. I'm always on the look-out for newly launched games and make sure I get them, even if I just bought some games most recently. I have so much passion for playing games.
Quarterly sounds like a good schedule. I'm sure you can finish a bunch of games in a 3 month period so you can get new ones after those. But for me it all depends on whether there's a sale or not. If not, I can just simply not buy games, hold off until the next sale, and just play the ones I have. It would be a lot cheaper that way, and I can buy more games with the money I am setting for gaming expenses. Win win for everyone involved.

Sino989

Reaction score
I honestly only buy new games when I really want a specific game. I don't go out and buy random games just to have it I usually have to get really interested in a game to go out and make the purchase.

Dhanidhamy

Reaction score
In my case I don't buy but I trade once in every two months because of other engagements am involved in.

whatareyou420

Reaction score
I buy new games less than I used to but when I do, they tend to be digital. Last two games I bought on their release dates were the new Zelda and Horizon: Zero Dawn. Both were worth it. When I choose to buy a certain title depends on if I think I will get enough value out of it to justify what I'm paying.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
I don't think I buy more than 5-10 games per year, mostly just the ones I find interesting or who are part of a franchise I've been following for a while. Most of the time I play games I already own like The Sims or CS:GO anyway.