• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How often do you buy new games?

Eggy216

Reaction score
When studios started cutting content in order to sell it as $DLC, I stopped pre-ordering games and only buy them on sale now. My wish lisg is just to keep track of WHEN they goon sale.
Yeah I feel that. This last Steam Sale I picked up one game, and other than Humble Bundles or similar Steam Sales I think that's basically become par for the course for me. I just can't justify spending $X on a game when I know I'm going to have to spend that money 5 more times to get the full experience out of the game.

Wolfparttimer

Reaction score
What is your preference?
Well I don't usually buy games, Around here videogames are extremely expensive for someone who earns minimum wage so I have to go for the free ones. The only way I would buy a game is.....if I'm totally in love with it, and have the need of buying it, and that my dear friend never happens.

hermessantos

Reaction score
About 3 or 4 years ago I just bought a lot of game. Today, I'm more cautious and prefer to buy really interesting games.
Usually I buy a new game between 5 to 6 months. That depends a lot, but on average it's 5 to 6 months to buy a new game.

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
Well I don't usually buy games, Around here videogames are extremely expensive for someone who earns minimum wage so I have to go for the free ones. The only way I would buy a game is.....if I'm totally in love with it, and have the need of buying it, and that my dear friend never happens.
I can very well understand your point. Everything has its related boundaries and these boundaries vary from person to person.

I like as well as admire your sporty attitude towards life. Gaming is just for fun and over stressing things just to buy new games is just not justified. One has to learn to be happy with what he has. And thankfully we have amazing games that are available for free.

All that is important is that we all keep the gaming spirits high.

SimplyD

Reaction score
There are many who prefer to play games that are free to download. Investing money in buying games is not what they opt for, either by choice or because of limited funds.

I buy new games very occasionally and that too when they are available on discounts. Otherwise I always download the free ones and play. What is your preference?

I have never bought a game. I always upload, only those that are free. Besides, I only like those simple games and easy to play and with levels.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
New games? Almost never, only if it's something I really really really interested in. And I think twice before actually buying it.
I have a backlog too big to purchase new games, since I will probably wait a bit before playing them. So Steam Sales and Humble Bundles are the way to go for me, and we all know in both case there won't be new recent games.

Wolfparttimer

Reaction score
I can very well understand your point. Everything has its related boundaries and these boundaries vary from person to person.

I like as well as admire your sporty attitude towards life. Gaming is just for fun and over stressing things just to buy new games is just not justified. One has to learn to be happy with what he has. And thankfully we have amazing games that are available for free.

All that is important is that we all keep the gaming spirits high.

thanks for the reply :D
I'm a relaxed person so if I can buy something I do it, if not then I just adapt myself and that's it. Games are for me, one of the best ways to just relax and go with the flow, and that makes me happy :) so that's why I play and sometimes pay for new ones.

fireball916

Reaction score
I'll usually buy if there's a good sale on a game. I don't buy games new at launch anymore. It just costs too much when I know it'll be so much cheaper in a few months.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I don't think I buy more than 5-10 games per year, mostly just the ones I find interesting or who are part of a franchise I've been following for a while. Most of the time I play games I already own like The Sims or CS:GO anyway.
You know some people sell their in-game items (that they get for free) on the market for Steam credit. Lots of items out there can be bought or sold without any attachment, and you'll end up having some funds for the sale if you get lucky. The card drops also help and you can make a near infinite cycle of selling cards, buying games, then selling its cards. Pretty fun stuff, like some sort of meta game outside the games on Steam.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I only buy games that I might like which are on discounts and a large factor the I consider is that whether it contains online multiplayer or not. I used to buy games on whim but now I spend my money more on cosmetic items for Defense of the Ancients 2. Despite my excessive spending for cosmetic items, I never buy ones that exceed the amount of 20$. I prefer quantity of cosmetics over the rarity.
I rarely buy games nowadays.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
You know some people sell their in-game items (that they get for free) on the market for Steam credit. Lots of items out there can be bought or sold without any attachment, and you'll end up having some funds for the sale if you get lucky. The card drops also help and you can make a near infinite cycle of selling cards, buying games, then selling its cards. Pretty fun stuff, like some sort of meta game outside the games on Steam.
Yup, I know about that. I've been selling CS:GO skins for a while now and managed to make a pretty buck. I don't really care about the skins, I'd rather have the money to buy new games instead.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
At one point in my life I was buying every new release game under the sun. I was spending $200~$300 a month on games. And that was when I had money LOL. Now I have to be a smart shopper because I am broke and I only buy games if they are on sale. I don't see the point in buying a game at release when you can wait 1~3 months depending on the game and get it for $20~$40. And for me that a big savings and worth the wait.

Thundercatte

Reaction score
Before I got heavy into PC gaming, I would save up for games and only buy them new, at full price, if I knew for sure that I really wanted to play it. This was probably about once every few months. Now that I mainly play games on my PC, I buy them a lot more frequently - maybe once or twice a month at least. This is especially due to the frequency of Steam sales, where I always end up making impulsive purchases no matter how much I tell myself I'll probably play the game once and forget about it.

Deathisue

Reaction score
I won't buy video games now too often, like 4 for month, for the university and that kind of stuff, i dont time now in this days and is really a bother to me finish one game in my life right now.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yup, I know about that. I've been selling CS:GO skins for a while now and managed to make a pretty buck. I don't really care about the skins, I'd rather have the money to buy new games instead.
Yup, people actually buy skins that cost $20. That's more than enough for a new game entirely. The ultra rare ones cost over $100 which is a brand new AAA game too. People really want to look good online so they'll pay anything just for those skins. Especially in Dota 2; shiny sparkles = hundreds of dollars = bragging rights.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
Before I got heavy into PC gaming, I would save up for games and only buy them new, at full price, if I knew for sure that I really wanted to play it. This was probably about once every few months. Now that I mainly play games on my PC, I buy them a lot more frequently - maybe once or twice a month at least. This is especially due to the frequency of Steam sales, where I always end up making impulsive purchases no matter how much I tell myself I'll probably play the game once and forget about it.
Steam changed the way I looked at purchasing games as well. Their sales, along with the accessibility of Humble Bundles, make PC gaming incredibly affordable. I think the last game I payed full price for was Skyrim on it's release date, good old 11/11/11! I remember having to pay higher prices for Xbox games when I played on a console, which is one of the reasons I have such a hard time returning to console gaming.

tinkerlove

Reaction score
I don't like new games too often I have children and I mostly buy games for them now. However I do have games that I like and the last game I bought myself was Mortal Kombat

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
thanks for the reply :D
I'm a relaxed person so if I can buy something I do it, if not then I just adapt myself and that's it. Games are for me, one of the best ways to just relax and go with the flow, and that makes me happy :) so that's why I play and sometimes pay for new ones.
I like your spirit. To remain content with what we have is a great quality and only a few people have this. You are a real blessed soul to have this awesome human virtue.

yunken

Reaction score
I buy new games when I get tired or have finished the ones I was playing at that time. Or when I heard FIFA has released a new version of their games.

streettallest

Reaction score
hahaha... buying games is out of the question for me. This may be because i find it hard to be addicted to gaming. there are lots of wonderful games available for free downloads online, and that is how i got some of my wonderful games in my collection. LOL