• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

pioneerauthor

Reaction score
Generally, I play any sort of interesting games at my leisure, especially on holidays, but still feel I'm not that satisfied with what I'm doing. I sometimes think about it and then assume that I'm not giving enough time doing it.

As commonly said, what is worth doing at all is worth doing well. So, is gaming worth doing at all?

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
Gaming is a kind of leisure activity that is done so as to relax the mind. Everything has a limit and if done within limits nothing is harmful.

Gaming is a fun activity and can really help to revive a tired mind. But the motto should be work while you work and play while you play. If it helps to prepare the mind so as refocus on work then it is worth all the time.

prasanna kumar

Reaction score
There are two types people , those who play too kill time and those who play because they love gaming, so when you really love gaming all these thoughts like is gaming really worth it arise.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
Well, games are there for us to help us have some fun time, and lose ourselves for a bit. I don't think it is something that you should stress out about, unless you are a professional gamer. It really isn't worth it and it is not the point. So don't get upset, play as much as you want and don't get upset about it.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I say it is as long as you enjoy your time doing so. I usually play the games that I could play with my friends, both online and local, because I feel like it gives us both enjoyment and bonding time as well. As for games that are mainly single player, I usually play them only if I had nothing better to do, this is the main reason why it takes me so long to finish a single player game.

Chinatown88

Reaction score
I think as long as you spend your time enjoying an activity it's worth the time you spent on it. Gaming is my way of de-stressing or venting out any anger. I don't drink or smoke so video games are my only medium of escapism. Well I read books too but not as much as I would like.

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
I've been enjoying video games since I was about 4 or 5, I'm now 20. I'm still always on my PC gaming everyday that I get the chance, staying up until stupid times in the morning. I think it is worth it as it's one of my main hobbies where I can just sit, relax and chill out. I sometimes go for a drive but there's nothing better than relaxing whilst gaming.

Ipa07

Reaction score
It is. It relaxes me for example from my job and my studies. I need something like that in my life.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
For me gaming is just a game. I may end beingbgood at it or lousey playing the game, that's ok. The point of me playing is to enjoy. I'm playing Clash of Clans for 3 years now and I can still consider my self a newbie but it doesn't bother me coz I'm just playing the game about 30 mins max.

BethSztruhar

Reaction score
For me, gaming is worth my time, especially because I found it relaxing. I can "escape" from reality and this is what I need after a stressful day.

Koyomi Araragi

Reaction score
I think that anything that gives you a sense of joy is worth doing. (Unless it's murdering babies or something, in which case please refrain from that activity and seek out a therapist.)

MLF

Reaction score
In that case, is any hobby worth doing at all? At least with gaming, there are measurable benefits.

As others having pointed out, anything that gives you a sense of joy is worth doing. In addition to the personal enjoyment and relaxation/stress relief, gaming has other tangible, measurable benefits such as improved thinking skills and improved hand/eye coordination.

Do you get those with stamp collecting? Underwater basket weaving? Well okay, you may get them with underwater basket weaving but back to the point, gaming is definitely a worthwhile hobby for all the reasons mentioned.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
When I was a teen, I spent most hours of my day playing games, it's definitely worth it. I didn't regret all the times I've spent playing, because I was happy and it gave me a sense of adventure, even if it's virtually. Now that I'm working, I don't have the time to play games, I only play whenever I get free time or I don't have anything to do.

Denis_P

Reaction score
Well I personally think that no matter to which degree you do it, gaming is always worth doing if you enjoy doing it. But then I also understand the other side of the coin. Some people don't want to play video games to just be average, and that's why people created high scores and achievements. There are competitive people who put hours upon hours into video games so that they can be on top of the leader boards, which I understand. There is a great sense of achievement there. But personally, I don't need to feel I'm really good at something just to have fun with it.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
If you are a completionist, then yes. In Steam there are achievements for games, so it makes the game longer because you're trying to get those checked off, and I honestly do it just so I can take it off the books and say I've done everything that could be done in this game, time for the next one. I only have a few games in my arsenal that I can proudly say I finished 100%. Skyrim, Witcher 3, and GTA San Andreas. Other games I'm either on the way to finishing, or the achievements are too ridiculous that I'd rather not waste my time doing it.

AnthonyB

Reaction score
I play games at 24 years old to relieve stress and keep my head above water. I wouldn't judge anyone who does either. Everyone needs their outlet. I would say, in the grand scheme of things, It's probably worth it. That is to say that you're anything like me and only play them for therapeutic purposes lol. Other than that, they're probably a complete waste of my time. It could absolutely be spent doing something productive.

overcast

Reaction score
As I am getting older, I think it's not worth it. But then I am using the gaming only for the loneliness. Most of the people who are into gaming often have it's issue that can show you that gaming wastes a lot of money. And if you want to save money then it's not worth going into this market. It'd only burn you out.

Neo

Reaction score
Games are beyond just an entertainment. They actually improve your hand-eye coordination, vision, help make faster decisions, reduce stress and anxiety, improve creativity, the possibilities are so many. I've been playing video games since I was 5 and I still enjoy playing at 20. My brother is 25 and he has just been playing video games all his life, now he actually works to design games, and even finds the time to play.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Of course gaming is worth it! Well as long as you are enjoying playing but I do not see why anybody would play games unless they would be enjoying themselves?

Same like some of the other members, I have played different games ever since I was a child. Games helped me through so many rough periods of my life. They provided me great distraction, relaxation and distressing. Even though that I do not spend enormous amount of hours playing games anymore, I still see them as a large part of my life and who I am. I will never stop playing games.

But if you feel like games aren't worth your time then stop playing - it is that simple :)