• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Is PC/Online gaming the wave of the future?

Yiskah

Reaction score
With games and sites such as Steam will gaming consoles become obsolete? My theory is just as streaming devices have won out over cable and movie theaters so will online gaming take over consoles. My son really wants to get a console again, is he right?

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
So, much likely that scenario is what's gonna happen. Gaming consoles in the next years might get smaller, but my wild guess is that televisions will have computing capacity to run almost every game, then it is just received through internet, and streaming devices.

kgord

Reaction score
So, much likely that scenario is what's gonna happen. Gaming consoles in the next years might get smaller, but my wild guess is that televisions will have computing capacity to run almost every game, then it is just received through internet, and streaming devices.
I agree with you. We all know as technology gets further utilized it gets smaller. This is just one of the things that always happens. Maybe in the future gaming consoles will become quite portable, with full effects, almost like a gameboy or something similar.

valy

Reaction score
I think that consoles are over passed and this will be seen in the next future as well. PC gaming is the actual desirable trend now. Me, my friends and even our kids love the PC gaming over the console use!

kgord

Reaction score
I think that consoles are over passed and this will be seen in the next future as well. PC gaming is the actual desirable trend now. Me, my friends and even our kids love the PC gaming over the console use!
Well it is much easier to do for one thing. No special devices need to be utilized unless you have a specialized gaming laptop or something, It might well be the trend of the future. I know it would work better for me.

Pixie06

Reaction score
I play games more frequently on my PlayStation compared to my PC. However, I do agree that playing games on a PC is much better than playing on a PlayStation. Firstly the graphics on the PC is much better. It is much easier to play with the mouse and the keyboard.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I think not just PC gaming & consoles are going to change. But gaming as we know it is going to change. Processors are getting smaller and smaller and faster and faster. Its not going to be long before cell phones are going to be just as powerful as a PC and maybe will replace the PC and game consoles.

My Samsung Galaxy S8+ can output Minecraft in 4k to my 4k UHD TV and it looks amazing. Not only that but you can buy a docking station and use it as a computer. If we can do that today, just imagine what cellphone technology is going to be like 10+ years from now.

kgord

Reaction score
I look for graphics and action to get more and more lifelike. I also bet there will be more and more people who can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality, if all they do is game. It might get harder and harder for them to do so. It's on them however, and who ever is bankrolling them.

anaatef9

Reaction score
Pc gaming is just so far ahead of console gaming. There are some factors that contribute to this.
  • You get so much more than just games when purchasing a PC
  • In terms of customization and multitasking PC is far ahead
  • PC gaming allows you to obtain the newest technologies without the need to upgrade the whole setup. That allows graphics to be the best with monitors going up to 144 Hz and much more.
  • With Steam and online markets on the rise, Purchasing and downloading games have never been easier
PC gaming will always be ahead of console gaming. However, what you get with the console is a system that you won't have to upgrade in the next 5 years and be able to play the newest games. Unfortunately, that comes with limitations.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I haven't played consoles since 2011 when my PS2 died. I really don't see the need, since I can play emulators of tons of consoles in the PC, and I can browse the internet while alt+tabbing a game if I need a break. The mouse and keyboard obviously are better controllers for most games, and the capabilities of the PC have a higher ceiling than consoles with all the upgrades you can constantly put into it, and it's the better system all around in my opinion.

kgord

Reaction score
I haven't played consoles since 2011 when my PS2 died. I really don't see the need, since I can play emulators of tons of consoles in the PC, and I can browse the internet while alt+tabbing a game if I need a break. The mouse and keyboard obviously are better controllers for most games, and the capabilities of the PC have a higher ceiling than consoles with all the upgrades you can constantly put into it, and it's the better system all around in my opinion.
I wouldn't buy an expensive gaming laptop to do it though. You can really sink a lot of money into those things. I think that just a good basic laptop with perhiperals you can add on my work just as well in some respects as a gaming laptop. It just depends on the experience you want though I think.

Deathisue

Reaction score
Maybe yes, the consoles are falling behind in terms of quality and their exclusive even now are very few compared to other generations, if the large console companies do not do something their destiny is fall in front of the pc, for now there is still faithful followers to consoles, but over the time who knows ?, everything can change.

kgord

Reaction score
I bet sooner or later you will find consoles in the marked down bins at the electronics stores. I just think that will be something that might happen for better or worse. I give them a certain amount of time before they are there or on ebay or craigslist or something.

WarVet

Reaction score
While I find it rather troublesome to predict the future I believe that yes this will be a natural tendency.PC is just too customizable and can adapt to anything. Sooner or later the consoles will fall out of grace and then PC will take over. Maybe in the future, we will be able to play all console games on our PC.

overcast

Reaction score
Considering console offer the better experience on the GPU side. I don't think it'd be obsolete in future. In fact most of the games which are harder to run on most common PC would be easy to target on console. So i am guessing it;'d be interesting to see how that comes in near future for the gaming market.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I'm realizing that playerbase or community in online games for console is very small indeed when compared to the community of PC players. There are factors to consider though and one of these is that people may not find buying consoles worth just to play a game when they have a PC already. If PC continues and finally has an online game that is so great and groundbreaking, I think that soon consoles might just phase out.

Jerick Gwapo

Reaction score
I believe online gaming will overtake every thing. I remember the first time when games was introduced on my community. Back then, we played Super Mario on our TV and the legendary Contra Game from KONAMI. After few years, playstation and computers were introduced. Most games on computers back then are offline though as now, internet is the trend. In the future, online gaming will be the wave - playing against another player in real time. We can observed now that it is starting, DOTA, LOL and lots of online games.

cesarmatute

Reaction score
Perhaps game streaming will be the future of gaming, but only in the countries with high speed connections. A low latency is also necesary for a good game streaming experience.

Here is an article from venturebeat.com that shows how important latency is in online gaming: How latency is killing online gaming

If the only thing you'll need to play a game online is a TV, I don't think the hardware will be so relevant, but the speed connection and lattency.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
It is, because PVP is far better than AI. Plus online games is more fun.

vinaya

Reaction score
I don't think PC is the future of gaming. These days more people play games on mobile devices compared to PC. That's why mobile games are more popular than the PC games. Some mobile games have had their PC version released aftert they went viral on mobile devices. However, I think online games will be more popular in the future.