• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Jailbreaking your console

Dhanidhamy

Reaction score
Many game owners love jailbreaking to reduce cost of buying cd's, personally I've never jailbroken any of my console because you don't get the full version of games once your console has been jailbreaked, last time I checked I read nobody has succesfully jailbreak the Sony Ps4. Would you jailbreak your consoles or enjoy it the way it is?

WarVet

Reaction score
Back in the good days of the PS2, everyone jailbreaked it. It was a big fever we could get CDs for a fifth of the original price. Then PS3 came along and there was no jail break available at first. When they did jailbreak it I wasn't playing anymore but they said it wasn't worth it because the pirated CDs still cost 60-75% the price of an original one. So if the difference was that small it was better to buy the real deal. Personally, i don't condemn it but I don't advise it either. It all depends on the console and your expectative of it.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
In terms of popularity, I think it's a close call between the PSX and the PS2. Literally everyone I knew jailbroke their PSX, whereas it became a little less common with the PS2, but it changed from area to area.
Jailbreak didn't have much use in the old days besides piracy, so...I can't say I endorse it, I think that valid developers should always be supported. However, hacking a PSP, for instance, can have many more useful applications, like emulators. I don't know if you count hacking as jailbreaking, though.
Speaking of which, kudos to Sony for going from one of the most hacked consoles ever to some of the most secure (PS4 hasn't been broken yet, as far as I know, the PS3 can only be hacked on a very specific firmware and the PSVita's security breach has been fixed for a long time).