• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Java/C++ development corner

Daytona211

Reaction score
I know many people in this community are interested in the computer science field. I figured we should have an area where we can help each other out with compilier, or runtime errors and just ask general questions. Or even just put the languages and experience you know/have

Languages: Java, VB, a bit of C++

Experience: a year and a half of study

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
function turtle () {
turtle does shit
}

turtle();

jogerino = best programmar

swag

Reaction score
EDIT: Nvm I forgot some people end up with the short end of the stick so they run to CS instead because pac is obviously the same lol. If you're not good at much else you gotta do what you gotta do so I say go for it but it's not for everyone. Still pretty funny tho when people who aren't logical in the slightest try it out but good luck.

If you can't write well or hate math and karate won't pay the bills then I can see why some people would try CS. The resources below are gonna be pretty helpful for just about everyone, whether you have a knack for programming or not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/
https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/index#wiki_related_reddits

And stack overflow will answer most of your questions so never be afraid to look for your answers there. People who have been working in the field for 10 years still go to stack overflow for their problems because it's very useful.

ezpz

Last edited by a moderator:

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
Tbh, computer science is just a way to get more general ed credits in prep for university lol.

Gray

Gray
Retired Staff
Reaction score
@swag
For your old post that you edited, don't make it sound that rude, it's sounds like your making it look like day is not that smart, so please think before you type.

swag

Reaction score
@swag
For your old post that you edited, don't make it sound that rude, it's sounds like your making it look like day is not that smart, so please think before you type.
whoops. didn't realize it would be that sensitive at first so i edited it sorry

JGat

Reaction score
If anybody has questions, feel free to reach out! I wouldn't call myself an "expert" but I have a bit of experience!
I've taken courses for Java and a few web design languages (HTML, CSS, Javascript). I've also done some online courses for python, angularJS, JS, PHP, SQL, and even just basic Command Line. As far as work experience goes, I've written code currently in production for Walmart (CQL, Java, and Powershell). I have done a little bit of mobile app dev, but I'm really more back-end focused.

Womack

Reaction score
VB = year of study

Java = year and half of current study.
Do people study languages? I can understand studying language concepts, but an individual language? In college my professors were just like "You don't know Ruby? You have 48 hours to learn it because the assignment is due in two days."

swag

Reaction score
Do people study languages? I can understand studying language concepts, but an individual language? In college my professors were just like "You don't know Ruby? You have 48 hours to learn it because the assignment is due in two days."
Well there are those online classes where they try to teach you specific languages, but in my school they teach you concepts like you said and not the actual languages. I bet they just mean experience with the language or something

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
At least in the high school AP level is based on specific languages and architectures.

Most common being Java, HTTP, and C++

Point of Computer science is too learn principles and apply them to your own specific tasks and functions and coding styles with different languages.

Womack

Reaction score
Python is horrible for OOP, and its a bad language to learn for understanding concepts. But it has dynamic memory so its got Java beat.

Daytona211

Reaction score
Python is horrible for OOP, and its a bad language to learn for understanding concepts. But it has dynamic memory so its got Java beat.

That is a big reason( as far as my small brain knows) why C++, and Java are two of the most used intro languages to teach the early principles such as OOP, and method properties etc

swag

Reaction score
but you can get some pretty nice jobs with it so ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy