• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Java or Java Script?

Dark Ice Cream

Reaction score
What language should be better to learn first? Currently, I am studying C++, wondering if Java is good, as well as Java Script.

Any suggestions?

AndroidOS

Reaction score
It depends what you want to do, really. JavaScript is more web based (and is primarily used for the front-end of applications), whereas Java is used for back-end web stuff/desktop applications/android apps.

They are very different languages, so I'd go for the one that suits what you want to make.

Dark Ice Cream

Reaction score
Hmm, my sister suggested tons of languges, such as SQL, PHP, Python, though those choices seems too confusing xD

AndroidOS

Reaction score
What do you ultimately want to end up creating with your skills? Websites, Windows applications, mobile apps?

Dark Ice Cream

Reaction score
Would likely to make Apps, suggested Languages to me were Java, Python and C++

AndroidOS

Reaction score
For Android apps then I'd recommend Java then, though if you want to go down the iOS route then you'll need to learn Objective-C or Swift (Apple's new language).

Python is a nice language to learn mind you. :p But for apps, I'd go with Java personally.

AndroidOS

Reaction score
Awesome, let me know if you need any help with it. My Java is probably a little rusty, but I'll help out if I can. :)

Dark Ice Cream

Reaction score
I don't like to bother anybody. Plus I have a very neat tutorial app for now! Thanks for the offer though :) Appreciated it

Hugop

Reaction score
You can make games using JS(HTML5), they work for every device but becomes a bit laggy for bigger games.

Patrick

Reaction score
It depends on what you plan to use it for. JavaScript is a scripting language, and as such would be better suited to scripting events whereas Java is a general purpose language. I'd stick with C++ if I were you. It'll benefit you a lot more in the end to understand the syntax and utilize the plethora of libraries. Once you're familiar with C++, picking up Java will be a piece of cake.

overcast

Reaction score
For Android I'd say libGDX is lot better. And for the Web based games, it'd be safe to say that Javascript is better on many counts. Though it can't be used for the desktop based games. I have found that some javascript launcher can make the game usable on the Android. This can be a good option for many reasons. I personally think Java and C# are good for the Android or any type of game development.

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
Have you tried Code.org?

I tutor HS for JavaScript and thats what we use to help them learn JavaScript to transfer over to more higher level languages. It allows you to make applications and other cool things in a more simplistic manner if you are new to coding.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Both are for different purposes, but I suggest if you're currently studying C++, then you might a well upgrade to Java. Java is somewhat similar to C++ and C, so if you know any of those two, you will have quite an easy time learning java. Java also takes out some of the things in C++ that often caused errors, like the pointers. Java is also platform independent, meaning it could work on any platform, unlike wherein C and C++, it basically works only in the platform you wrote it on (i.e. 32 or 64 bit).

Yukibana

Reaction score
The title seemed to conflate Java and JavaScript, which have two fairly different functions. Java is like C and C++ and is of course "write once, run everywhere," which may be beneficial. With the rise of node.js, though, JavaScript is gaining more use in backends, instead of being restricted only to the frontend. It depends most on where you intend to go.

overcast

Reaction score
Both are for different purposes, but I suggest if you're currently studying C++, then you might a well upgrade to Java. Java is somewhat similar to C++ and C, so if you know any of those two, you will have quite an easy time learning java. Java also takes out some of the things in C++ that often caused errors, like the pointers. Java is also platform independent, meaning it could work on any platform, unlike wherein C and C++, it basically works only in the platform you wrote it on (i.e. 32 or 64 bit).
C++ in this age? I don't think so. It'd not be fair to use that language for mobile games. Because not many good engines are out there. I mean Unity is not C++ based. So you are not gaining anything from making use of the game that has those libs. You can use the java script but not that regular. You can see that java on some points can be good enough.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
C++ in this age? I don't think so. It'd not be fair to use that language for mobile games. Because not many good engines are out there. I mean Unity is not C++ based. So you are not gaining anything from making use of the game that has those libs. You can use the java script but not that regular. You can see that java on some points can be good enough.

Which is exactly why I suggested that he should upgrade to Java instead :)
C++ has its perks, especially in PC gaming, though the free C++ based game engines aren't as powerful as those that are premium. And yes, unity isn't C++ based, it's C# if I can recall correctly, a lot more user-friendly and good for beginners. And like I said, I believe in C++ the game would work for specific platforms only, like 64 bit then recode and port it to 32, etc unlike in Java where it's WORA. Plus, Java is more useful for mobile game development indeed.

overcast

Reaction score
From what I have noticed for most of the game engines. I think C# and Python are taking the lead. There are some good gaming engines on the C++. But yeah I guess it all comes down to how you're building the game and where you want to port them. I think Android based games are harder with C++.

Eli Maximilien

Reaction score
To decide what language to learn, assess what you would like to do with that language first. Javascript is often called the "programming language of the web"; if you want to learn how to make a website function than this is the language for you. There's more versatility in regards to what you can do with a programming language. A lot of people learn variations of C to program their games. If that's what you're into, I recommend learning Java as well since it is widely used and a very powerful language.