• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Moments in games where you just want to smash the controller

AlexHarris

Reaction score
When you are facing a difficult moment (might be a boss, or a level) and of course you lose. It's the first time you face it, you didn't expected it to be so hard and you accept the defeat. But then, it happens: the cutscene before that moment plays again and there is no way to skip it. You have to watch it again, and again, and again, and again! Unskippable cutscenes in general are bad, but unskippable cutscenes in those moment are the thing I hate the most in a game.
Whoever played Kingdom Hearts will probably agree with me.: "You'll never take kairi's heart!" is still in my worse nightmares.
Omg so true that was so cancer it made me want to just rip my eyes out of my head. There was also this game called Dynasty Warriors that I used to play with my friends. What frustrates me so ****ing much is when there is a boss or just a hard enemy that kills you in place and you can't move or press any controls all you can do is waste all your healing potions while he violated every inch of you with no reprieve. When bosses are so overpowered and they always have one undodgeable spell/attack that just instakills you indefinitely. That crap tilts me off the face of the earth and I've lost more than a few controllers dealing with those situations. Or if you have that one friend that plays Naruto (Literally any version of the game) and keeps spamming their special move on you or some abusive shuriken like Temari, Gaara, Deidara and so forth. As soon as you get out of their special move they just spam it. For those of you who don't play Naruto PS games, it's the equivalent of getting anally violated by a Martial Law in mid-air in Tekken without being able to move your character.

ValX

Reaction score
I have been so mad at a game while playing in a laptop. I remember smashing the keyboards. I know they're not really a 'controller' but it's similar isn't it :sweatsmile:. I remember throwing the mouse and just went mad and cry because I lost a match.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I played a Call of Duty game back in my PS2 but the controls were terrible. Controllers should not be played with shooting games - first person shooting games - at that. The analog stick could barely do what the mouse easily does in the PC. I had no choice but to use the melee attack (where you bump the enemy with your gun) which interestingly insta-kills the enemy. That was a bit immersion breaking if you ask me. But from then on I never bothered to buy anything first person on the Playstation. PC controls with keyboard and a mouse is far superior than the controller in that aspect - and it's not even close.

megaman93

Reaction score
This happens most to me when I play Clash Royale on my phone. When I lose without making a dent in my opponents' defenses, I just want to throw my phone and scream. The additional cards in the game also counter my deck really well sometimes, so I get angry and frustrated about that too... The real kicker is when they taunt me and I want to crush my phone in my hand.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
Almost in every level or area in Dark Souls will definitely make you want to smash your controller into bits, but in my opinion nothing could be make you feel worse than having to repeat fighting a boss for multiple times because of its difficulty and then dying when the boss is down to a tiny amount of health points. At that I point, it's either you quit playing for a while or risk enraging and losing your mind then proceeding to smash your controller for real. Luckily so far I have no controllers smashed yet.
The most important advice that I received from a game is from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. The game reminded you to take rests in between hunts because a hunter with no rest makes for a dull hunter. Keep your controllers alive! Take rests at the moment of slight frustration before playing again.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Playing a fan made Dragon Ball Z game called Hyper Dragon Ball Z, the game is really good but at the same time, really hard. I couldn't get past the Vegeta and Frieza duo no matter how many times I try, they're just too good for me. I don't want to lower the difficulty from normal to easy because what's the point if things are so easy? But then at the same time, I just want to throw my gamepad to my screen because of constant deaths.

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
The first time that I feel this way was when I was like 7 years old and I was playing the first Harry Potter game in my PlayStation one and I had passed all the levels, but the last one when you have to kill Voldemort, it was a pain in the ass, I hated it so much, it was very hard for a kid, but I made it once, and I finished that game, the struggle came like a year later when I was playing the second part of this game and I remember that I never finished that game because it was difficult as hell, I was stuck on the 3 doors before the fight with the Basilisk.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
OMG by far Call of Duty "Word at War" was the absolute hardest game that I have every tried to beat and I played some really hard games in my life time. And the game itself wasn't hard to be sort of speak. It was the dang AI in the game! They would throw a grenade half way across the map and it would just so happen to land at your feet and go off. I died more times by a rogue grenade then anything else in the game. When I finally beat the game it felt like a serious accomplishment!

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Hard bosses with tight action windows are the worst. Figuring out their attack patterns goes from fun to enraging pretty quickly, especially when they wash you over with bullets or lasers or whatever they're throwing at you.
I still have nightmares from Ornstein and Smough's boss battle in Dark Souls. The worst part about it is that there are two phases to it, and once you manage to get past the first one you'll keep dying in the second one. It was infuriating.

castills

Reaction score
Whenever my potato laptop decides to freeze the game, especially when on the point/objective or about to sneak up on someone.
D-Nied.:emoji-rage:

Sino989

Reaction score
Maaaan one game that really grinds my gears sometimes is super mario and donkey kong because I enjoy playing the game but sometimes dying can get really annoying lol.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Not me but my younger brother was frustrated with Def Jam: Fight for NY in the PS2. The combat there was great but you can get chain locked, meaning you can't fight back and the enemy AI would just keep pounding on you until you get beat. He got frustrated to the point that he didn't want to play the game anymore after the first boss fight (Danny Trejo I think) and just played another game. It was hilarious.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Whenever my potato laptop decides to freeze the game, especially when on the point/objective or about to sneak up on someone.
D-Nied.:emoji-rage:
God, I can relate to that. During summer my laptop gets unbearably hot, so maybe it just thinks of freezing as a good way to cool down. Sometimes it's just the game, but some other times the whole laptop hangs and also emits what I'm pretty sure to be a "screw you" in computerese (that infernal noise you get when it freezes, you know?).
That's why I prefer consoles.

StolenKid

Reaction score
I almost threw my controller for trying to get an A in Hotline Miami 2, I was so deep in but then I got killed and my rage was so big that I screamed and rise up the control with my right arm, then I realized what I was doing and took a break.

Wolfparttimer

Reaction score
That moment for is when I'm stuck in a game and can't find a freaking way to get out of it. It's like seriously how do you even pass this game?
I also got that feeling when playing Super Smash bros sometimes, I'm the kind of player that likes to train against pretty hard CPUs, and you know, I hate when a CPU just kicks my ass -.- I feel really dumb when it happens.

Eggy216

Reaction score
I used to play MOBAs relatively consistently, although that's slowed down in the last year or so. Whenever you think "oh man this looks like the perfect opportunity to pick up an easy kill" and you either do something stupid to get yourself killed or your opponent is just more well-equipped than you thought. . .those are my "throw the controller" moments. Feels bad man.

WarVet

Reaction score
That moment you face a tough as nails boss who is definitely OP and you do your best, play at your best level, make the most of the little life or skills you have left and then when you're just an inch from beating him bang! Game over.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I used to play MOBAs relatively consistently, although that's slowed down in the last year or so. Whenever you think "oh man this looks like the perfect opportunity to pick up an easy kill" and you either do something stupid to get yourself killed or your opponent is just more well-equipped than you thought. . .those are my "throw the controller" moments. Feels bad man.
Yeah, MOBAs have that whole "one wrong move and you are screwed" sort of gameplay. That's why it's important to have team coordination and honestly a bit of skill from practice and repetition. Can't gank you when you have seen it before in another play. It's also frustrating too when the enemy team is more coordinated than you even if you try to do something right.

Eggy216

Reaction score
Yeah, MOBAs have that whole "one wrong move and you are screwed" sort of gameplay. That's why it's important to have team coordination and honestly a bit of skill from practice and repetition. Can't gank you when you have seen it before in another play. It's also frustrating too when the enemy team is more coordinated than you even if you try to do something right.
Plus then there's your teammates who yell at you the whole time no matter how good or bad things are going for them because everything is all your fault. . .MOBAs really eat away slowly at your patience until you hit that "controller out the window" moment lol.

castills

Reaction score
Plus then there's your teammates who yell at you the whole time no matter how good or bad things are going for them because everything is all your fault. . .MOBAs really eat away slowly at your patience until you hit that "controller out the window" moment lol.

I've shied away to healing and being a support to avoid that confrontation. I loved playing C'hange, just dancing around tossing heals! STRIIIIIKE!