• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Sony Says That PlayStation 4 Is Already Profitable

Scion

Reaction score
kaz-hirai610.jpg

According to Sony CEO Kaz Hirai, the PlayStation 4 is already a profit center for the company - unlike it's previous consoles.

Traditionally, Sony's hardware platforms have - in general - been "loss leaders." In basic terms, Sony either lost money or broke even on the hardware itself in order to drive a large installed base. Once the consumer base was there, the company made money on software and software licensing fees from third parties. Then, as Sony was able to make refinements in the hardware, it eventually made more affordable-to-produce hardware.

According to Hirai, this philosophy has changed. Hirai told the site AV Watch: "The PS4 has already recorded a profit with hardware alone, and in that it's different from the business model of previous platforms."

Source

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
DistanceDesigns said:
I always though xbox one would be better and get more sales :p

I think it lost a lot of customers with that whole "no used games policy".

Scion

Reaction score
Yeah they did lose a lot of customers with that but there have recently been several statements made by "professionals" in the industry that the Xbox One will soon take the U.S. markets for consoles, eventually overcoming the PS4 in America for sure.

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
Scion said:
Yeah they did lose a lot of customers with that but there have recently been several statements made by "professionals" in the industry that the Xbox One will soon take the U.S. markets for consoles, eventually overcoming the PS4 in America for sure.

That could very well happen, with the price cut on the xbox one it raises the possibility of it.

Stealth

Reaction score
I can believe it. I remember the days when nobody liked Sony and the PS3

Guardian

Reaction score
Already profitable? So does that mean we can start seeing some games that people actually want to play?

Zahreah

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised. I always wanted the Xbox to better tho. Microsoft where the company that tried to do something new. To innovate. Do what really everyone should've been pushing. But it was the consumers that forced them to make a u turn that was un needed IMO. Now the Console Peasants have the same experience they have had for the past 10 years and will have the same for the next 10 years.

jahanzeb ali qureshi

Reaction score
PS4 is going to make a big change in the market. It can be a great way to earn profit and marketing. Sony had discouraging results from PS3 sales but they made the PS4 as a perfect console and people are going to love it.

valy

Reaction score
I am not surprised that Ps4 recorded a profit, this was expected since we heard what it could offer. Ps4 includes a recorder with a screen capture, with this you can record Live Streams, record basic videos, or just record clips. I like it, and I am sure there are other who likes it too and are willing to invest in it. I am certain that Ps4 will bring more profit in time!

Gladdy

Reaction score
Guys, this topic is from 2014, haha. I am fairly certain that this was just upon its release when people weren't sure how well the Playstation 4 will do compared to Microsoft.

Now that it has been out for a while it is pretty clear that it is beating the Xbox One in sales. I am not surprised because it is better in every way. Better design, better price, better exclusives, better controller, ...

If anything you should now be discussing how well and profitable the brand new Microsoft's console, Xbox One X will be compared to the PS4 Pro.

overcast

Reaction score
I think the DRM policies of the XBOX got them to where they are now. I do think the PS has lot to progress. And they will continue to be more profitable in future. In some cases you may find that some of the options being offered by playstation are indeed good. So it's natural for them to remain in profit.

john franklin

Reaction score
I am sure that they are already getting enough profit from PS4 as the Sony is brand name. Every product from sony is really famous and they won the trust of their customers. They cannot get a loss from any of their product.

overcast

Reaction score
They had loss with the PS Vita and PS 3 though. That's why they rushed the PS 4. Though the loss they had was more of harware issues. And lot of products in those series were returned. And for this same reason I think PS 5 will undergo some of the hardware changes and the quality control and won't be as problematic as some consoles in past.

lordrenly

Reaction score
Haha. I think nowadays those strategy of loss leaders will be difficult to implement, though, because more and more investors want quick bucks. I believe that PS4 is already profitable but will that impact current development of PS4 games, I don't think so. I think it is more related to the development of newer consoles so keeps our hopes for the next generations of PS consoles.

Jameson

Reaction score
I think they have been profitable with the PS4,and I believe they're profits should skyrocket with the release of PS5!