• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Swiss system

anaatef9

Reaction score
What are your opinions on most of the cs go big tournaments using the Swiss system format?

The Swiss system is the format used in most of today's CS GO tournaments. Ever since its implementation, it has been controversial. It offers a much bigger chance for underdog teams to make it to the playoffs since they never have to play a BO3 in the group stage. That means that with the pick-ban system, the underdog team always gets a chance to play a fair map that both teams have a chance of winning.

What do you think can be done to make the swiss system better?
Do you think there is a better tournament format that CS GO tournament organizers should follow?

djdanilo

Reaction score
The system is not bad, but I think that, for every major tournament, there shouldn't be any BO1s. I think that the Swiss system is good for qualifying, but I think BO3s are better, and BO1s eliminations are a joke. Imagine team like Fnatic has a group with VP, NaVi and Astralis. They would have to play BO1s eliminations, and to lose 3 bo1's in a row is extremely easy and it can be very random when the competition is relatively close.

kgord

Reaction score
I have never heard of the Swiss system. I am learning about this for the first time. I think it sounds like something that has been used successfully for a number of years. It is just one of the things that we need to know about in today's world. It is just one of the options that seems to work for tournaments.

anaatef9

Reaction score
The system is not bad, but I think that, for every major tournament, there shouldn't be any BO1s. I think that the Swiss system is good for qualifying, but I think BO3s are better, and BO1s eliminations are a joke.
I agree with that statement. However, when considering how much time it would take for every single team to play each other in a BO3 instead of a BO1 can get expensive. Taking into consideration the technical difficulties and the time these tournaments take, I feel it could get out of hand. This could be fixed by streaming the games on 2 separate channels and playing 2 games at once. I don't think tournament organizers would take these ideas into consideration.

You are right in the fact that the competition has never been closer and all teams are almost at the same level. One key round loss here or there and it could lead to defeat. I think the problem is the fact that the 2 best teams in the tournament can play each other randomly while the 2 worst teams can play each other due to the randomizer. This can be fixed by re-seeding but then Valve would have to implement seedings in the first place.