• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

The NES best retro console ever?

Bremaine

Reaction score
Would you say the NES is the best retro console ever? I grew up playing on my trust NES, my mother and sister would always be better than I was at it, but it was still quite fun at the time. I still remember those days quite fondly, great times! Anyways, share your opinion on whether or not the NES is the best retro console ever.

Scarsz

Reaction score
It's definitely the most profound one of them all, to say the least.

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
I personally think it'd the best retro console. I still play mine occasionally for the nostalgia of it, even though I wasn't even born around it's release date.

GlacialDoom

Reaction score
Given the emotional and nostalgical value in a lot of people's childhoods, I'd definitely say it's the definitive retro console, because it provided so many people with so many nice memories.

For example, I remember being about 2 years old and playing on an NES clone called Rambo (you could only find those in my youth around here). I kept making my mom mad because I'd make her play through the second level of Super Mario Bros. (the dark one; 1-2), as I obviously lacked the skill to pass that level at that age. I also remember playing Duck Hunt with a cheap plastic rifle (not a zapper, this one was a black, long rifle) that was pretty poorly calibrated.

The console broke eventually, and seeing how brokenhearted I was, my parents bought me an IBM PC, marking the start of my PC gaming passion.

joshposh

Reaction score
All my friends had the NES, but I always wanted to be different. So I went the sega route. But I think about it more, I should of gotten the NES on the fact that I could of borrowed games from my friends.

The only downside to the NES is that over time you games wouldn't boot up and you would have to blow into the opening of that games and pop it in quickly for it to boot up.

insertkittyface

Reaction score
I had an NES growing up and it was absolutely amazing. I remember playing it with my mother every single morning in our tiny apartment. Definitely one of the best memories from my childhood.

Jojo83

Reaction score
Oh the good old days playing with the Nintendo NES. It was the console that introduced me to video gaming. Super Mario was huge back then, and it was the game that every kid was playing. It was a phenomenon, great gameplay, great graphics for its time and easy to pick up and play for anyone. The NES has many great games and it is the best retro console for me closely followed by the Sega Megadrive/Genesis.

weepforsweep

Reaction score
The Super Nintendo outshines the Nintendo. Their are too many great games on the SNES for it to not be better. A original nintendo did leave a huge impact on the industry and video games in general.

LitoLawless

Reaction score
I think the Nintendo brings back a lot of nostalgic feelings for a lot of people (myself included), but I gotta say that most people have played the Super Nintendo. The Super Nintendo has way better games (in my opinion), and stands out way more in my mind. The only thing that I remember vividly is breaking my Nintendo, and my mom buying me and my brothers a Super Nintendo because of it.

fire421

Reaction score
I'd say the N64 because it was the console I grew up with. However, I have played many of the games on the Super Nintendo such as Super Mario World and have really enjoyed them.

Ridge

Reaction score
A lot of people's best retro console will be their first console, or the one they have the most nostalgia for. Spec wise they were all kind of garbage.

cyberpinoy

Reaction score
I remember wasting a lot of breath blowing the crap out of the games before putting them into the NES haha. And that routine spread like wildfire. No matter where you wnet before anyone put a game in the console they blew the crap out of it HAHA. I wonder if it really did help?

globulon

Reaction score
I would say its the best retro console just because it was so revolutionary and got so many people into gaming. I know there were many other earlier consoles, bu the NES would have been most people's entry consoles. That and there were so many absolutely good games on the system!

joshposh

Reaction score
I totally forgot the number reason why I would still play and own a NES. I loved the game Shadowgate. That has got to be the best game ever made for the NES. Very addicting and at times I got really frustrated playing it.

deltachi2012

Reaction score
I personally loved the SNES, my favorite games would be super mario brothers and Donkey Kong country, I would sit there and play it for hours with my friends and family, although I never beat DKC.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
The Super Nintendo outshines the Nintendo. Their are too many great games on the SNES for it to not be better. A original nintendo did leave a huge impact on the industry and video games in general.
I agree.
I prefer the SNES over the NES any day of the week!

Patrick

Reaction score
But the original NES saved The Gaming Industry back when it was doomed to fail because of Atari. It's always going to be at the top. And c'mon, all the best old games (Contra, Earthbound, Megaman 1-2, Metroid, and of course Mario) were rolled out with it. SNES certainly gets props for it's selection, but the NES started it all.

beastmaster184

Reaction score
No i would say the super unless you are talking about todays tech than the super trio from rock 30 games is the way to go as i was going to buy one for my kid but got the three play console for all old retro consoles snes nes sega gen

Chiara

Reaction score
The NES brings back nice memories for most of the people so I'd say that's THE retro game.