• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What tools do you use?

PingPongCall

Reaction score
I personally prefer RPG maker VX Ace. I don't like the new one (MV I think) I tried it out and it had some nice features but there is also a lot to learn again. After spending so much time with VX ace I don't think I have it in me to go through it all again.

I've also messed around with things like Stencyl, Game Maker 101 and Game Maker Studio.

What about you.

RivaCom

Reaction score
Maybe you can explain to me, To me, it seems like all games made with RPG Maker are going to be identical besides maybe some artwork. What drives people to continue to make games through it? I've never personally developed on it so was just curious.

PingPongCall

Reaction score
Maybe you can explain to me, To me, it seems like all games made with RPG Maker are going to be identical besides maybe some artwork. What drives people to continue to make games through it? I've never personally developed on it so was just curious.
What you're saying is true, however, creating a game with different mechanics (Skills, sub-skill point, weapon skills and leveling). This allows for game design to be radically different from one title to another. Think something like FF VII's Materia system compared to FF VIII's Junctioning system. Same Game genre with different mechanics.

gtech

Reaction score
I make small games as a hobby. I use LibGDX to develop games. It is lightweight and games developed with it doesn't require a run-time or play and it supports multiple platforms. I develop games mostly for Android. Great thing about Libgdx is that I can test the game in my desktop development environment and an Android device is needed only to test the Android specific functionalities.

I feel that engines like Unity3d and Unreal are overkill for simple 2d games and LibGDX is much better suited.

overcast

Reaction score
These days I am using the Yoyogames GameMaker. The IDE part of the game works really well. And you have to just add the logic to the added elements. So it can be good. I am also thinking of using the Unity game development as an option in such case. I have not yet tried classic coding with C# and any gaming engine. I guess I have to try that part.

Robbie626

Reaction score
I use RPG Maker XP because I got it on sale with a discount. Even though the application is simple with not as much features as the other RPG makers. I can still make some projects for fun with everything I need. :)

overcast

Reaction score
I use RPG Maker XP because I got it on sale with a discount. Even though the application is simple with not as much features as the other RPG makers. I can still make some projects for fun with everything I need. :)
I think for limited type of the games this engine can be good. For those who are into Android RPG then they may not find it much easier or better. In fact you can see that it may not be perfectly going to be a good tool for them. I have seen some users making use of the tools in such case. And it's just going to be simple with RPG maker XP.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
I made a few private games, just for me and my friends, and just for fun, with a multitude of different tools. I don't know anything about scripting, but I like experimenting with all the option offered by those tools.
Rpg Maker, various versions, is the one I used the most.
Then Multimedia, or Clickteam Fusion, or The Games Factory back in the years, or back even more in the years, Klik n Play for Schools. I don't even know if you can still find it.
A bit of TyranoBuilder, but it's mainly for visual novel and honestly I don't know too much about the genre.
And Game Maker, a little bit... didn't really like it.

overcast

Reaction score
I made a few private games, just for me and my friends, and just for fun, with a multitude of different tools. I don't know anything about scripting, but I like experimenting with all the option offered by those tools.
Rpg Maker, various versions, is the one I used the most.
Then Multimedia, or Clickteam Fusion, or The Games Factory back in the years, or back even more in the years, Klik n Play for Schools. I don't even know if you can still find it.
A bit of TyranoBuilder, but it's mainly for visual novel and honestly I don't know too much about the genre.
And Game Maker, a little bit... didn't really like it.
Do post them by hosting them somewhere. I always look forward to learn from others. I wish to understand how the coding is done and how the graphics is being used. So this sort of experience is worth learning. I am also working on the things on the unity engine. Hopefully I get to do something worth releasing.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Do post them by hosting them somewhere. .

No, I won't do that. People who doesn't know me and my friends won't get the game, since there are a lot of references and in-jokes that wouldn't make any sense to strangers.
Besides, I think I have lost many of my old games during various PC formatting... I might have some of them stored in some old USB, but nobody that doesn't know me personally will ever see that pieces of crap.

overcast

Reaction score
No, I won't do that. People who doesn't know me and my friends won't get the game, since there are a lot of references and in-jokes that wouldn't make any sense to strangers.
Besides, I think I have lost many of my old games during various PC formatting... I might have some of them stored in some old USB, but nobody that doesn't know me personally will ever see that pieces of crap.
I can totally understand. I have also lost lot of scripts and unfinished game demos due to PC failure. In some cases lost entire hard disk data. And in some cases you can see that I have lost the content on the disk. I may have to backup to cloud for this reason. As for game being not understandable by strangers. Yes that could be one reason for not making it public.