• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

When did you think Call of Duty lost its way?

Smokey

Reaction score
It started going downhill after MW3 I believe. What really 'killed' it so to speak was Advanced Warfare though. To me, Ghosts felt more like a Modern Warfare spinoff than a 'futuristic' Call of Duty title, and I enjoyed Ghosts for the most part. AW however, was just awful. Infinite Warfare is garbage as well. I really like Black Ops 3 though but that's because it's a Treyarch title and they actually know what they're doing when it comes to making a Call of Duty game nowadays. I'm really hoping Sledgehammer's game this year brings back the sense of grit and gore old school Call of Duty feel to it with WW2 as they 'promised' it would. I'm going to pre-order and play the beta before I make my judgments though. Sledgehammer Games stated during Advanced Warfare's lifespan they wanted to make a Call of Duty set in Vietnam originally but Activision forced them to make a futuristic title and AW is what they came up with. MW3 was 'okay' but a bit of a hot mess in some areas......I'm giving Sledgehammer this final chance to prove me wrong before writing them off all together as 'worthwhile' in terms of Call of Duty titles they produce. Infinity Ward gets one final chance from me in 2019 now that we're back to boots on the ground and I've never had a problem with a Treyarch title, except for the 'connection interrupted' issues I get in Black Ops 3 nowadays.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I forsure think Call of Duty has lot its way. The game has progressively gotten worse and worse since COD4 was release. And the latest Call of Duty is the biggest joke of them all. They had no faith for the game to sell so they sold it with a remastered COD4 and now they are selling the remastered COD4 because people still won't buy the new COD. I am not even going to think about buying COD WII without waiting for reviews first.

zeedollar

Reaction score
I dont think they have gone down or anything, they have just diversified to accommodate new user. But to me COD is still going strong.

goldlady

Reaction score
I agree with the people who say Call of Duty is not so good now as it used to be. But I do not know if I would say that it actually lost its way. I only think they have not innovated as much as they should. Call of Duty is a great game... I hope they can go back to the start of the game and give us what we all expect to see in a good COD game.

Westbay

Reaction score
Be that as it may, Call of Duty never again pleases me as a fanatic of its brand. I think I knew this when Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 yet I didn't want to jump into conclusions. I remember I had sleepless nights just because of call of duty back then I miss those days.

djdanilo

Reaction score
I liked MW 1, then came World at War and I was like :birdsleeping:, then I played MW 2 and MW 3 and I really like the campaign story, didn't really play them online. Thinks after the release of Ghosts, they started their downfall. Every game after that seems like a copy of the previous one with some new futuristic thingy added to it. Maybe the new game, thats set to release in November will change my opinion, because it's set in WWII, but we will see.

WarVet

Reaction score
I liked MW 1, then came World at War and I was like :birdsleeping:, then I played MW 2 and MW 3 and I really like the campaign story, didn't really play them online. Thinks after the release of Ghosts, they started their downfall. Every game after that seems like a copy of the previous one with some new futuristic thingy added to it. Maybe the new game, thats set to release in November will change my opinion, because it's set in WWII, but we will see.
You nailed it, buddy. I played MW2 and I remember thinking "Wow what a masterpiece of a game" But after that everything went downhill in my opinion. After that, it's just the same game with revamped graphics and recycled gameplay. Not to mention a lousy story.