• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Amazon Holding out On Gamers

InvadeYourSpace

Reaction score
Apparently Amazon will not sell more highly sought out video game titles to non Prime members. You must pay the extra fees for Prime membership, which includes expedited shipping, in order to get some of the more popular/newer titles. It seems like an extortionist type tactic. I'm sure people will just buy elsewhere, but it makes Amazon look pretty bad for implementing this sort of selling strategy. You can find an article posted earlier today on the Geek website. What do you guys think? Good selling strategy for Amazon or nay?

Steamroller

Reaction score
:shifty:Nah, It's a scummys trategy. Amazon knows that when a "AAA" or High budget game for a major franchise is released, It will sell like just baked donuts. Technically is a smart move from a high profit pursuit mindset, but is quite scummy. I say, buy elsewhere or in GOG.com if you can:smug:.

rz3300

Reaction score
Well that really does not make any sense to me. So you have to be a part of a club to be able to buy certain items? Wouldn't that just drive away sales from their site to somewhere else? Or are they just that confident that it will get people to sign up for the Prime? If that is the case I am not so sure about that one, and they might be regretting this move. It is certainly bad for the consumer though, and that is never a good case. Not impressed with Amazon here.

InvadeYourSpace

Reaction score
There will always be other places to buy for sure. I'll just have to buy from a local spot like Game Stop. For certain games you may have to pre-order if you want them right when they come out, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye. The stick I'm referring to is called Amazon.

AnonLu

Reaction score
Smart, but scummy. Amazon always has the lowest prices for physical console games, so by doing this, it's just a scummy move all around.

Dowls

Reaction score
I dont' think this is that smart on Amazon's behalf. When it comes to pre-orders and new releases they don't always have the best prices anyway. On top of that, when you pre-order from places like Shop-to games can come up to 3 days early (from past experience) and Amazon at best arrives 1 day early. If you order plenty from Amazon anyway then prime makes sense, if you don't just buy elsewhere.

fcuco

Reaction score
Well, you can always go and use the 30 day free trial that Prime offers you to buy the game you want and then promptly cancel the whole thing once you get it.My guess is that they expect a lot of people to do that and never cancel the thing out of pure apathy or because they end up liking the service, they are probably shooting for a 10% retention rate or something like that. As long as you have an escape valve like that I don't mind this much.

You know what? when I really want a game I just drive to a store and buy it, are a few dollars worth the extra wait? Not for me, I love to have my stuff immediately.