• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How do you take losing when you were young?

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
To be honest, I wasn't competitive in gaming when I was young. Which is surprising because I'm competitive in pretty much every other aspect in my life. I enjoyed gaming for what it was. I got owned a lot in FPS games but I never really cared about stuff like that. I was an only child, so I didn't have a big brother to compete with. Also me and my friends would win and lose equally against each other. So it was good times gaming while growing up. I became competitve in my mid teen years. With this came emotions like rage, excitement, anger, joy, etc. I think a lot of my friends were competitive in gaming, so it influenced me to become a certain way like that. As I got older, I also focused on skill more rather than just enjoying it for what it was.

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
Loosing when young: Meh, who cares

Loosing now: Fml

ValX

Reaction score
When I was a kid, I would always lose to my brother. I usually cry , a lot. I don't know why, when I was a child I used to cry a lot just because I lost a game. Not only to my brother, but just any game. Especially when I failed to complete a level after I tried so many times I became so frustrated and cried. When I keep on losing on an online game, I also cried.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
When I was a kid I'm a sore loser, when I'm alone, whenever I lose, I curse at the TV or the console. The worst thing I did was I threw my GameBoy to the bed and it bounced then smashed to the floor. It's something that I regret until now. Now that I'm older, I can accept defeat and be chill about it.

Koyomi Araragi

Reaction score
I actually took it pretty okay when I lost against an actual person. Losing against a computer/A.I., though? That's when I got mad.

"NO. That is cheating. This thing has to be cheating. They programmed it to cheat. I want a refund."

Linen

Reaction score
I can't say I remember how I reacted when I was a child to losing in video games too well, but the fact I can't remember too well probably says that I didn't take losses TOO hard. My best guess is that I was probably mildly angry - not angry enough to throw a temper tantrum, but irritated. I do remember that - both then and now - I'd be a very stubborn person who'd keep retrying things over and over again, at least in solo contexts.

(I do know that nowadays I'm usually pretty chill in most cases... unless the game/match/etc. was just so unbalanced as to not be any fun. Fun's what I usually seek out more compared to win or loss now)

Javo1096

Reaction score
I was a really bad loser specifically to my older brother, he was better at racing games and with those I almost didn't care, but when he beat me in a fighting videogame I'll always say he cheated :tearsofjoy: I was pretty sure he wasn't cheating of course but it was just my way to pass through defeat.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Im a sore loser. Especially on fight games like Steet Fighter or Mortal Combat. I always take it so personal that is why I'm always playing alone. It always gives me a quick smile when I remember my tantrums when im loosing on games.

Denis_P

Reaction score
Oh boy, you just brought back cringey memories of me being such a little jerk of a sore loser when I was a kid. I remember playing Street Fighter II: Turbo with my cousin and whenever I would start losing, I would break out the age old strategy that everyone knows and hates. Is your opponent nailing you with combos and your health is getting low? Just press start and pause the game over and over again and pretend like the controller is acting up, that is always way better than actually getting good at fighting games!

arachnophobik

Reaction score
When I started playing PvP in MMOs, I never payed attention to the word "noob". I thought "what an ugly term. Doesn't even feel insulting". But eventually as I got better at it and people get to kill me and say that word, I used to be fueled with rage. I don't know how it happened either, I guess it just grows on you. What's even weirder is if I say it myself it's alright, but if I hear it from other people, it hurts big time :/

Chinatown88

Reaction score
Being the younger brother and constantly playing my older brother all the time in games. I reacted pretty badly. I started to throw controllers because of how bad I would get my butt handed to me. He was always better at me in every game, Street Fighter II for the SNES, Melee on the Gamecube, Mario Kart on every single platform. Now I'm not as salty thank goodness. I mellowed out after realizing if I break something I have to pay for it on my own now.

AntwanCeja

Reaction score
Oh man, I remember I used to love hitting the sofa... but to be honest, I always hated losing... so I would turn off the console, and even rip the cables off... I remember one time i took the console off my desk and threw it away to the floor... I know, I was really young back then :)

BatmanWayne

Reaction score
I took it very bad haha, I still remember when I was playing MLB 2002 with my father and I lose every time because I was too young (like 5 or 6 years) and when the game ended I remember punching my father with my little fists in his arms.

SerSlavos

Reaction score
I don't mind if I lose as long as it was a fair game. I always try to be better at something and to reach a certain level, it requires a lot of losing. Of course, when I was a kid, it was not like that, but even then I wasn't all fired up to win at all cost.

WarVet

Reaction score
I have to say i did not react very well. used to get all upset and almost smashed things. Still it's good to do all of it while you're young so you won't do it when you're old haha

AnthonyB

Reaction score
It really all depends how old I was. When I was very young, I remember losing to my cousins and getting furious that I lost. We would be playing some game I suck at like a racing game, or a football game. I was never very good at sports games. I always hated how they would rub beating me at Certain games in my face. That's really what I would get mad it was the gloating and the breaking people do. Fast-forward two when I got older, I would still lose it video games, but I would be playing them with my sister. I guess being more mature made me get better at taking a loss.

RedVelvetCupcake2009

Reaction score
When I was a young lad, I was very competitive. I fought with a lot of people because of this aspect of my personality. I remember one time, I was in a race with someone, and they beat me. I was pissed for the entire day. It took a hit to my pride. If this were in a game that I was very good at, I would take it very personally. Silly me would stay up all night just to practice replaying the game. Then I would try to challenge them or someone else to a fight. I would get called a sore loser, unfortunately.

Dan bers

Reaction score
Way back from when I was young, till now, I just can't get to hang of my big bro whacking me in FIFA like a still the "little one". I feel helpless after the 90 minute and that look:smirk:. But on the brighter side, gaming with the 'boss' has made me tough enough not to lose to my fellow peers.:sunglasses:

Zyni

Reaction score
I wasn't the best sport when I was a kid, sad to say. I learned as I got older that it's just a game.

I have seen lots of kids (and sometimes adults too) freaking out over a loss or a wipe in game. Some people really take it to the next level. They aren't very much fun to play with. Come on, it's not like you're really going to die. Just rez and get on with it already. No need to flip out or be mean to other people over it.

StolenKid

Reaction score
I always have been a bad loser. When I was younger, my cousin and I played a lot of the first Halo multiplayer at his house, I remember this time iI lost a match and didn't talk to him for like 3 days... We played again and he let me win, and I got mad because he did that, but then we played again, but this time a fair game so then I lost again and got mad again and he apologized for "being too good on Halo". So yeah, I don't like to loose.