• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How do you take losing when you were young?

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie; I wasn't the most gracious loser. I was the older brother and my sibling was my primary opponent in video games. We'd play a lot of Mario 3 in which you can suck people into a battle mode to try and steal their turn. The truth is my little bro was pretty awesome at it for his age, better than I was and I used to get pretty mad. I tossed a few controllers in my day. Luckily I grew up and learned to accept the anger of defeat as a call to contemplation and self criticism, and not an invitation to be a little jerk like I was as a kid.

WarVet

Reaction score
I'm not going to lie; I wasn't the most gracious loser. I was the older brother and my sibling was my primary opponent in video games. We'd play a lot of Mario 3 in which you can suck people into a battle mode to try and steal their turn. The truth is my little bro was pretty awesome at it for his age, better than I was and I used to get pretty mad. I tossed a few controllers in my day. Luckily I grew up and learned to accept the anger of defeat as a call to contemplation and self criticism, and not an invitation to be a little jerk like I was as a kid.

I can relate to that so much man! Only that I was better than my bro at most games. When I lost I would get mad because "There is no way in hell he could beat me!" It would go to such an extent where an occasional fight would break out and my mother had to split it. Good times! The lessons I learned served me in old age greatly!

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I can relate to that so much man! Only that I was better than my bro at most games. When I lost I would get mad because "There is no way in hell he could beat me!" It would go to such an extent where an occasional fight would break out and my mother had to split it. Good times! The lessons I learned served me in old age greatly!

I was the older brother by three years and my brother was a little small for his age, so a lot of the stereotypical sibling fighting behavior was simply not tolerated at my house. I didn't get into many altercations over gaming but I did behave like a little jerk more times than I had a right to. I am not proud of it, but I was also a sore winner, too. The few games I was better at, I was way better at, and I never missed an opportunity to be insufferable when I beat him in those titles. I'm so glad he still talks to me and comes over to play games! He was the better man...er, kid.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
lmao I'm the eldest brother too and I think it's our job to beat our younger siblings at games. It's a matter of pride, dammit! What are you doing?? It's superiority and they couldn't even touch me in games, so much so that we had to just play co-op stuff to avoid getting upset at losing.

YOU BRING DISHONOR TO OLDER SIBLINGS EVERYWHERE! :tonguewink:

Laibrown

Reaction score
I know, sometimes I play games like Naruto Ultimate Storm and when I lose I'm happy because I know I've found myself a worthy opponent, someone who can finally give me a fight, it's fun in some cases to me find someone who can exploits my potential.
Oh yes, exactly my point losing to big challenge could worth it. But losing to a rather weak challenge is bad. I remember I when I was younger, my colleagues patronized me to play a game with a lady who is also our colleague. And actually we had this common notion that girls are not good at playing games, so of course this girl must not best me. And me on the other hand I have bragged that I will beat this girl even when I closed my eyes. But this lady beat me the first time, I claimed that I was just playing with her because she's a girl. Every other game we played afterward she beat me. This destroy my reputation among my peers and in school

Deathisue

Reaction score
Oh yes, exactly my point losing to big challenge could worth it. But losing to a rather weak challenge is bad. I remember I when I was younger, my colleagues patronized me to play a game with a lady who is also our colleague. And actually we had this common notion that girls are not good at playing games, so of course this girl must not best me. And me on the other hand I have bragged that I will beat this girl even when I closed my eyes. But this lady beat me the first time, I claimed that I was just playing with her because she's a girl. Every other game we played afterward she beat me. This destroy my reputation among my peers and in school
something like that happens to me, but not with a girl, If not with my cousin, is more young than me, but still manage to defeat me, isn't the best player but has an immense talent to defeat me.

WarVet

Reaction score
I was the older brother by three years and my brother was a little small for his age, so a lot of the stereotypical sibling fighting behavior was simply not tolerated at my house. I didn't get into many altercations over gaming but I did behave like a little jerk more times than I had a right to. I am not proud of it, but I was also a sore winner, too. The few games I was better at, I was way better at, and I never missed an opportunity to be insufferable when I beat him in those titles. I'm so glad he still talks to me and comes over to play games! He was the better man...er, kid.

Yeah me too man. I am 5 years older than my brother and I have always been a big guy. While he's no small fella either I have always been much stronger. He had that small bro whiny attitude always crying about everything and I hated it. My parents always sided with him and made me the bad guy. Looking back on that today I realize it made me strong, made me be independent of others approval to do my stuff, made me disregard criticism that was not constructive and only listen to people that i know that want my well being.

tinkerlove

Reaction score
I took it pretty easy I wasn't a sore loser because I wasn't that competitive as a child. Winning was not the most important thing to me having fun was.

WarVet

Reaction score
I took it pretty easy I wasn't a sore loser because I wasn't that competitive as a child. Winning was not the most important thing to me having fun was.

Damn, that's very very hard to come by in a child. Even in some young adults. I can definitely say that I abandoned competitiveness behind in my early twenties but do tell me how did you manage to do it so early?

arachnophobik

Reaction score
Oh man, I remember I used to love hitting the sofa... but to be honest, I always hated losing... so I would turn off the console, and even rip the cables off... I remember one time i took the console off my desk and threw it away to the floor... I know, I was really young back then :)
I feel you, I used to punch my pillow a lot just because I got disturbed during PvP which led to my death. Although I never went as far as to break my console XD I think I would be even madder at myself if I did XD But I feel you, games back then were somewhat a lot harder for me, unless you count dark souls. I still remember how pissed off I was every time I ran out of ink ribbons in Resident Evil 2 lol.

fishmonk

Reaction score
I was pretty competitive but I am not a sore loser. I will accept my losses and find ways to improve my skills before getting a rematch.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
lmao I'm the eldest brother too and I think it's our job to beat our younger siblings at games. It's a matter of pride, dammit! What are you doing?? It's superiority and they couldn't even touch me in games, so much so that we had to just play co-op stuff to avoid getting upset at losing.

YOU BRING DISHONOR TO OLDER SIBLINGS EVERYWHERE! :tonguewink:

Haha! Yes I suppose I have. He was a legit good player, too. Especially when the N64 rolled around he made sure I got my share of the braggart pie in Goldeneye. I was older and not a little jerk anymore by that point, but I still had it coming and I knew it. He was an artist in that game, especially the Caverns and the Temple one. He'd pop out of the weirdest places, which is all the more embarrassing since it was split screen in those day and I could technically see what he was doing whenever I wanted.

Thrall

Reaction score
Since I could beat my two sisters and my dad at almost every game, as soon as I went to my friend's to play anything it felt crushing when he destroyed me. It was mostly Halo 3 and the Star Wars Podracing game we played and I was terrible at both compared to him.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Haha! Yes I suppose I have. He was a legit good player, too. Especially when the N64 rolled around he made sure I got my share of the braggart pie in Goldeneye. I was older and not a little jerk anymore by that point, but I still had it coming and I knew it. He was an artist in that game, especially the Caverns and the Temple one. He'd pop out of the weirdest places, which is all the more embarrassing since it was split screen in those day and I could technically see what he was doing whenever I wanted.
Split screen was great, but it sucked if you had a small TV. I remember playing 4 player Crash Team Racing on a small TV as a kid and everyone could barely see anything. At best it's the 2 player split, but more than that would be torture for both the players and the people watching. That's kinda why I like PC more, no split screen and you have the monitor all to yourself.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Split screen was great, but it sucked if you had a small TV. I remember playing 4 player Crash Team Racing on a small TV as a kid and everyone could barely see anything. At best it's the 2 player split, but more than that would be torture for both the players and the people watching. That's kinda why I like PC more, no split screen and you have the monitor all to yourself.

Yeah but remember how a lot of companies would make the division between the screens of a two player mode horizontally instead of vertically? Maybe it's just me, but I always found that squished, screen atop screen approach to ruin any fun the 2 player mode had to offer. I always preferred the vertical division, even though it usually came with a pretty significant narrowing of your peripheral view. In those earlier console shooters it's not like they were as twitchy as modern shooters anyway.

LydiaHilda

Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to say that when I was a kid I used to cry if I lost or get really upset. I always played games with my sisters and we'd get really competitive, especially my older sister! It didn't really get physical, but we'd certainly bicker and argue and get pretty heated if there was any accusation of cheating, which is of course the first thing we'd always say: "She's cheating, she's cheating!" but fortunately, we're all old enough that we don't fight as much over games. Just a little bit now! ;)

yunken

Reaction score
I hate loosing especially to those I know I am better than. If it is someone I'm older than, I will make sure we have it replayed, and if it is someone older than me, I will argue till he admit I didn't loose.

airfightermax

Reaction score
I used I hate on my siblings when I lose to them lol but I don't do that anymore. I never learned how to take defeat when I was young so I always threw fits at them. Now when I'm playing though I just chalk it up to myself not being good enough and that encourages me to improve on my game.

Zeyad

Reaction score
I broke a few controllers when I was younger now I either rage quit and start blaming other people on my team for not playing well

Laibrown

Reaction score
Wow I have to give it to you, you are good. This kind of trait is really hard to find by at a kiddy age. I mean when I was a kid, all my mate fear losing because it going to be bad to be tagged looser in school. So naturally that makes us competitive