• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Why do you think Minecraft has become so popular?

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I think it's because of the fact that it was new at the time. Being inside an interactive world of blocks where you can pretty much create anything you want, your creativity is the limit, and yet still having that challenge of trying to figure out how you would survive in certain situations. Props to the developers for creating such game, a game that's fresh and fun to play (at the time). Nowadays we're overflowing with Minecraft clones in the market.

Miles Lucas

Reaction score
Minecraft is one of the best games in the entire world. Minecraft has one of the most creative options for young and old players.
I am pretty young myself and I know a lot of older people that play the game.
Minecraft boosts creativity so much that the developers of Minecraft (Mojang) have made an edition of Minecraft for children in school.

Lexi

Reaction score
I think it's because it's fun for everyone. It gives you a chance to be creative, it challenges you and you can interact with others. It's like virtual unlimited Lego. You have so much liberty in the game and can do so much. It's easy to lose an hour or two in the game. Even if it doesn't look like your average game. To me, it'll be here for a while. Especially if they keep expanding it.

overcast

Reaction score
I think minecraft became popular due to it's graphics and the story mods. I have seen some mods working for people on specific server where they can play tournament. And some are also story based sagas. There are lot of upgrades on the game which has made it quite famous among people that I know.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
The game's popularity is due to a hard-to-achieve mix of accessibility and complexity. Usually you will have to sacrifice one to have the other. Not in Minecraft. Anyone can pick up the game and have an enjoyable experience no matter how casual they may be. But the game has enough depth and empowers enough personal creativity that there is a huge amount of content to explore for the dedicated crafter. It doesn't matter how good this castle is, you can always build one bigger or more ornate. Yet, you are not required to build large or seek out exotic materials. This makes it appeal to people of all ages and skill levels. Few developers get this weird alchemy correct, and even among those who do, still fewer get it as correct as Mojang has.

rockandgreen

Reaction score
The Game Theorists covered this with one of their videos but Minecraft has become so popular due to its exposure on YouTube. Here YouTubers displayed lets plays of their journey and adventures in Minecraft, causing viral growth and popularity leading to the spike in its popularity.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
The Game Theorists covered this with one of their videos but Minecraft has become so popular due to its exposure on YouTube. Here YouTubers displayed lets plays of their journey and adventures in Minecraft, causing viral growth and popularity leading to the spike in its popularity.

I forgot all about that episode. Yes, he really did make a compelling argument. The game's rich crafting system really did lend itself well to small, online tutorial-styled videos. I've consulted the videos of better craftsmen, myself, as I've tried to up my architectural game. I'm not the best visual thinker so it really helps me to actually see something to get new ideas. I owe a lot to a few of them! If you all have never watched Jeracraft's videos you're really missing out.

binaryteck

Reaction score
i think because it can be enjoyed by both adults and children. Then the design is superb compared to others.

Fuzyon

Reaction score
Because it's a simple game that doesn't require a lot of skill to enjoy. Also, both adults and kids enjoy the game since it's to intuitive and the creative options are limitless. It was also made viral by people playing it on YouTube.

Eggy216

Reaction score
Good marketing is definitely a big part of it. They've done a great job of getting their name out there and becoming a big part of the gaming world. They're also helped by the fact that they allow the freedom to build whatever your mind can think of - it's the same reason things like Legos and Lincoln Logs became and still are so popular.

rockandgreen

Reaction score
I forgot all about that episode. Yes, he really did make a compelling argument. The game's rich crafting system really did lend itself well to small, online tutorial-styled videos. I've consulted the videos of better craftsmen, myself, as I've tried to up my architectural game. I'm not the best visual thinker so it really helps me to actually see something to get new ideas. I owe a lot to a few of them! If you all have never watched Jeracraft's videos you're really missing out.

The creative aspect of the game makes it really stand out and the anticipation of finding rare ores keeps you mining on whilst the combinations to create new items to aid your survival makes having those items and figuring out how best to use them all the more entertaining. The videos just added to that hype and caused Minecraft to grow at viral rates as people wanted in on the action that they loved watching YouTubers play.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
The creative aspect of the game makes it really stand out and the anticipation of finding rare ores keeps you mining on whilst the combinations to create new items to aid your survival makes having those items and figuring out how best to use them all the more entertaining. The videos just added to that hype and caused Minecraft to grow at viral rates as people wanted in on the action that they loved watching YouTubers play.

Expandability helps a lot with that too. It's not as bad as it used to be since they've added new ores and things t find underground but there is a bit of a grind to it. The tedium tends to build over time, which is problematic since anything worth building tend to take a lot of resources. Plugins that gamify the act of mining really work well to keep me in the zone when it's time to undertake those repetitive tasks. McMMO, Jobs when I chose the mining profession...that is a stroke of genius as far as I'm concerned! Minecraft's ability to change with desired user experience is a huge thing. I doubt I'd still be playing the game today if there were not such a creative and dedicated modding community backing it up. And to see them still so active after all these years is one of gaming's most interesting spectacles.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
It's because the graphics is light and simple and the gameplay is fun that it caters well to the children. Players are able craft weapons, build their houses, and fight monsters however and wherever they like. I believe the game also encourages players to use their imagination. There are plenty of things to be explored in the survival mode and every adventure is different since the worlds are randomly generated. Also what I noticed is that I associate learning with blocks, that is why I find games that involve voxel or blocky graphics to be appropriate and interesting for kids.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I think Minecraft became so popular because its a sandbox game and the first of its kind. And to top it off there is no end to the game and the worlds are infinite. I literally walked 8 hours straight in one direction and I never hit a wall. And I heard of people walking in the same direction for a month and never hitting a wall.

But as for myself the appeal to the game is exploration and making huge caves. I also like to build too although I haven't gotten into huge complex structures. I am still in the beginning stages of Minecraft and I plan on trying more complex builds after the new year.

Eggy216

Reaction score
I think Minecraft became so popular because its a sandbox game and the first of its kind. And to top it off there is no end to the game and the worlds are infinite. I literally walked 8 hours straight in one direction and I never hit a wall. And I heard of people walking in the same direction for a month and never hitting a wall.

But as for myself the appeal to the game is exploration and making huge caves. I also like to build too although I haven't gotten into huge complex structures. I am still in the beginning stages of Minecraft and I plan on trying more complex builds after the new year.
I think I've built almost every single base I've built in Minecraft in the side of a mountain. Something about those giant caverns just gets to me, and I find them to be so much more interesting than building outside. Then you dig down, build your own giant cavern at y=12 and go to town finding that diamond :smile:

rockandgreen

Reaction score
Light hearted graphics which can be an aesthetically pleasing throwback to old style graphics with pixelated screens could have hooked many initial players as they saw something different, something that stood out from the crowd. This has been the 'eye-catcher', even if the graphics itself horrendous to some, others may find it perfect for that sort of game that naturally lends itself to a game of that genre. It depends from person to person, really.

mcbryan

Reaction score
I think Minecraft accepted and played most of the people because of the content and lesson of the game. Even though Minecraft graphics are not as amazing as other games it cants replace the capability of the game to teach people how to be creative. It also develops peoples critical thinking in a way that it's not obvious. Furthermore, Minecraft makes your analytical skills develop wider and bolder. Is it amazing that you can build anything on that game? Kingdom, City Hall, and Establishment are just examples of what you can do in Minecraft. It has no limitation for your creative mind.

anaatef9

Reaction score
In my opinion, Minecraft became so popular because of youtube content. Mini-games and Survival Multiplayer is the core of Minecraft on youtube. With YouTubers creating funny, entertaining and interactive content the Minecraft community grew large.

fishmonk

Reaction score
Minecraft caters to a broad audience. Despite the graphics, it gives the player a lot of freedom to use their creativity to build, explore and have fun with friends and family. Players can chose to embark on the creative adventure. This flexibility is definitely an attractive feature for gamers.

pichugirl

Reaction score
The fame of the influencers who played it, the media recognition, the huge community with a whole new and good ideas. Everything, with the concept of the survival simulator, made it successful.