• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Favorite RPG Game?

SerSlavos

Reaction score
So, if you like this genre, what would be your favorite RPG game? Let's talk about single-player ones for now. Mine used to be Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, until Mass Effect came out. So far ME is my favorite for now. Haven't played the new one yet but judging by the videos I saw, it wouldn't be any better than the original trilogy. I will try it sometime in the future for sure but I am not sure what to expect from it.

Denis_P

Reaction score
Great choices man, I'm a huge fan of both Knights of the Old Republic games.

As for myself, I have to say it's a tossup between the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3, leaning more towards Oblivion. I actually love both for the same reason, and that's atmosphere. The soundtrack and ambience was so good for both games that they instantly suck me into the gameplay in a way that many games don't. The feeling of exploration and being able to create your own personal journey was what made them for me.

In fact I still listen to the Oblivion soundtrack when I go out for walks and hikes, it's perfect wandering music.

Javo1096

Reaction score
Okami is the one that I got to pick this time it's one of the largest games I've played and never got to it's 100% because it has an insane amount of replay value, one of my favorite things from that game is the artwork with it's japanese kind of style that makes you see the cinematics almost like an animated cartoonish movie you should check it out.

StolenKid

Reaction score
My favorite RPG game would be Final Fantasy VII, the characters, the story, the soundtrack, it's all beautiful, I love it.

kenoobie

Reaction score
There are a lot of RPG games that are really good. One of my favorites is Baldur's gate 2. The game feels epic and the soundtrack is pretty cool. I finished the original game twice but have not played the expansion on the enhanced edition yet.
Great choices man, I'm a huge fan of both Knights of the Old Republic games.

As for myself, I have to say it's a tossup between the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3, leaning more towards Oblivion. I actually love both for the same reason, and that's atmosphere. The soundtrack and ambience was so good for both games that they instantly suck me into the gameplay in a way that many games don't. The feeling of exploration and being able to create your own personal journey was what made them for me.

In fact I still listen to the Oblivion soundtrack when I go out for walks and hikes, it's perfect wandering music.
The first elder scroll series I played is Skyrim. I love the game and the customization in classes. How does Oblivion compare to it?

Denis_P

Reaction score
The first elder scroll series I played is Skyrim. I love the game and the customization in classes. How does Oblivion compare to it?

While I'm not trying to rag on Skyrim as it has its own merits, Oblivion just does certain things better in my opinion. For starters, the quests are far better. The most notable examples of this are the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines. It's almost universally agreed that Skyrim's take on them felt very watered down and uninteresting compared to Oblivion.

Then there is the environment. Skyrim may have better graphics but Oblivion has far better map design. The world feels lush and lively, you're inclined to explore and it feels quite enchanting to walk through the forests rather than just find the quickest way to the next quest marker.

Customization is also better, being that Oblivion used a more classic skill leveling system that many old school RPG players appreciate more in comparison to Skyrim's point/perk system.

And as a matter of personal opinion, I also like the soundtrack of Oblivion much more. Keep in mind this is all pretty much a matter of opinion, as what I find better about Oblivion may be what others find worse about it.

kenoobie

Reaction score
Thanks! Although the oblivion scrolls is the older game, many people have really been praising the game for being superior to skyrim when it comes to the story. I feel that I would definitely check the game once I steam goes on sale and could afford it with my budget.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
There's really nothing that can beat Skyrim for me. It's a massive world and you are basically a god in human form. You can be whatever you want, you can go wherever you want. You can play the game at your own pace and would still be rewarding if you do a speed run. You have multiple options, you have multiple play styles, and best of all, you get to be the hero of your own adventure, something that most games can't hit in terms of replay value and addiction.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
I have 3 on my list being Diablo as the best, second is MU and last would be Torchlight. I had sleepless nights playing those games.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
My favorite would be Ragnarok Online, I spent a lot of hours playing that game. It's one of the first RPG games that I've played. I prefer this than Diablo. Characters look better on RO.

BrokenDownFlier

Reaction score
As I posted elsewhere, The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall is my most favorite RPG but Morrowind comes a close second. There's just so many addons/mods that the game never feels stale to me. I could not get into either Oblivion or Skyrim though. I never can put into words why those two are so blah to me. (Yes, that's a technical term and I am wearing my flame-resistant clothing.)

overcast

Reaction score
I think Zelda and Skyrim are two of the games that are my favorite. I played most of the versions of the games. I loved playing those games. I can tell you that some of the features of the skyrim especially I love playing. Zelda also improved over a period of time. And surely I may think of using them as well.

kenoobie

Reaction score
There's really nothing that can beat Skyrim for me. It's a massive world and you are basically a god in human form. You can be whatever you want, you can go wherever you want. You can play the game at your own pace and would still be rewarding if you do a speed run. You have multiple options, you have multiple play styles, and best of all, you get to be the hero of your own adventure, something that most games can't hit in terms of replay value and addiction.

What I like about the elder scrolls series is that it is not about the goal but rather the journey. I could play skyrim and speedrun through the game but it would not be as satisfactory as exploring and building my character through my journey. Skyrim is my first elder scroll game and a lot of people seem to like the prequels.

WarVet

Reaction score
What I like about the elder scrolls series is that it is not about the goal but rather the journey. I could play skyrim and speedrun through the game but it would not be as satisfactory as exploring and building my character through my journey. Skyrim is my first elder scroll game and a lot of people seem to like the prequels.

I agree! What makes Skyrim so enjoyable for me is the "Create your own adventure" setting. In other words from character building to the order of quests and choice of equipment etc it's all up to you. Hundreds of people played the game and im sure each one of them had a different experience. Trully a master piece.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
A lot of people have already stated Skyrim and they've pretty much said all the things I wanted to say so I might as well pick my second most favorite. I loved Fallout 4, but mainly due to the environment. I loved how the environment there looked compared to the other Fallout games. I didn't find New Vegas pleasing to the eye as I hate sunburst. The story was better than Fallout 4 though, but the colors were just a huge turn off for me.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
KotOR is easily one of my top RPG games. I really enjoyed the Dungeon Siege II as well, which was a great mix of RPG and dungeon crawler aspects. Both games offered an immersive world with fantastic characters and plots, and were a joy to play from top to bottom. I loved being able to hop into the Star Wars universe in such an immersive way, and the DSII soundtrack is something to be commended.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Yeah, KotOR is an easy pick, such a wonderful game. I also like the Shin Megami Tensei series (it's very old school, but it has its charm), including the Persona 3/4 (I haven't played 5 myself, but I've heard great things about it). As for action-adventure RPGs, I'd also go with Skyrim and Dark Souls, and I guess Dragon Age: Origins falls into the same category (I had a blast with it, too). What I love the most about these last ones I've mentioned is probably the world you're thrown in: you explore and find out about its story bit by bit, by yourself, at your own pace and according to your own choices. Plus, it's just wonderful to look around and stare at the sceneries and see how much they change from area to area. Say what you will, but the introduction of a 3D environment did wonders to RPGs.

thart

Reaction score
Y favorite is Oblivion it's so fun to just wander round and find quests to do. I prefer it to Skyrim because of it sitting it's only problem would probably be that it's combat isn't that good.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Y favorite is Oblivion it's so fun to just wander round and find quests to do. I prefer it to Skyrim because of it sitting it's only problem would probably be that it's combat isn't that good.
Combat is better in Skyrim because the magic aspect in Oblivion is more of a toggle and side ability instead of being your main use. I like being a mage and I really didn't feel like I could be a mage in Oblivion because you even had swords/shields early on and the fireballs just come out of you like some weird outlet crap. The NPCs in Oblivion look like potatoes to be honest, but that's for another topic.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
A lot of people have already stated Skyrim and they've pretty much said all the things I wanted to say so I might as well pick my second most favorite. I loved Fallout 4, but mainly due to the environment. I loved how the environment there looked compared to the other Fallout games. I didn't find New Vegas pleasing to the eye as I hate sunburst. The story was better than Fallout 4 though, but the colors were just a huge turn off for me.
The thing I hated about Fallout 4 is the "dungeons" are office buildings next to each other. Are you telling me that those supermutants on one building and the bandits on the next one coexisted this whole time, and then only time they became hostile was when I went in? That's just ridiculous. Also, you can't really befriend anybody outside the settlements. Everyone in those "dungeons" all want to kill you, so you gotta kill them first.